Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:44 AM

11 posts, read 55,774 times

Advertisements

We're relocating very soon across country for a job in Lodi, and are not at all familiar w/ the area. I can tell Sacramento is too far to commute (?) Where should we live? We are an early 30's married couple w/ no kids yet, and are city people leaving a tiny town... desperate for the city life again : shopping, restaurants, parks, water, things to do, etc. Definitely want to be in a safe area - I have been researching this week and am kind of aghast at what I've read w/ gangs and robbery, and just the crime in general. It sounds like you really need to know the area well before landing somewhere.
We are willing to commute for the sake of an enjoyable lifestyle.
Any ideas? I've read a bit on here about Elk Grove, Laguna...
Please help!

Last edited by WhiteStar07; 08-08-2007 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 11:05 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStar07 View Post
We're relocating very soon across country for a job in Lodi, and are not at all familiar w/ the area. I tell Sacramento is too far to commute. Where should we live? We are an early 30's married couple w/ no kids yet, and are city people leaving a tiny town... desperate for the city life again : shopping, restaurants, parks, water, things to do, etc. Definitely want to be in a safe area - I have been researching this week and am kind of aghast at what I've read w/ gangs and robbery, and just the crime in general. It sounds like you really need to know the area well before landing somewhere.
We are willing to commute for the sake of an enjoyable lifestyle.
Any ideas? I've read a bit on here about Elk Grove, Laguna...
Please help!
If you crave city life, as you describe it, midtown Sacramento seems most appropriate to me. Safety isn't too bad, but it still is the city:

midtowngrid.com, Directory for Sacramento, Midtown, Downtown Sacramento, East Sacramento and Old Saccramento Business Directory for shopping, restaurants, hotels, Sacramento's 2nd Saturday Art Walk, Entertainment and more!

Old 08-08-2007, 03:12 PM

58 posts, read 287,172 times
Well, Lodi is a fairly quiet community about 40 minutes south of downtown Sacramento. Living nearer to Sacramento and then commuting to work in Lodi would mean going against the commuter traffic in the morning, so your drive time wouldn't be bad at all.

Lodi is located between I-5 and Highway 99. You would probably be better of staying closer to I-5 as Highway 99 is an older highway with heavy traffic at all hours.

Coming north up I-5 from Lodi is the Laguna West area (technically the very western part of the city of Elk Grove). This has many homes from the $300,000s and up. Suburban, but all kinds of shopping, restaurants, coffee houses, etc. The whole area is new, having grown out of agricultural fields within the last 15 years.

Another 10 minutes north toward Sacramento is the Pocket/Greenhaven area located off Pocket Road to the west of I-5 up against the Sacramento River. This area has about 40,000 people in homes built since the beginning of the 1960s up to the present. It's considered upscale with lots of real estate up against the river, but many more reasonable homes in the interior of this geographical "pocket." Homes in the area start at rougly $400,000 and go up from there. There are also several duplexes and some condos in the Pocket. This area during non-commute hours is about 15 minutes from downtown/midtown Sacramento.

If you have any questions, feel free. . .

Carolyn Montgomery
Realtor

Old 08-11-2007, 09:49 PM

3 posts, read 25,435 times
Lodi is a wonderful place to raise a family but it may not be the perfect place for you to live if you are craving something close to a big city atmosphere. I moved here 25+ years ago from San Francisco when I got married.

Life for most revolves around activities with family, friends, church, school, youth sports, as well as community activities such as the weekly farmers market downtown. There is a movie theatre downtown, several non-chain coffee houses, an increasing number of good restaurants and lots of local wineries. There are only a couple of night clubs.

In general, Lodi is a place where people know their neighbors and take pride in their community. You can feel safe walking around most neighborhoods at night. (The general rule is that the safer part of Lodi is to the west of the railroad tracks that bisect the city.)

You'll have to decide if Lodi is the best place for you at this time in your life. If you decide to commute, be aware of the tule fog that can make driving difficult in the winter months. It's like driving in thick soup!

I love living in Lodi, but know that its comfortable small town atmosphere may not be the right fit for everyone.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:42 AM

11 posts, read 55,774 times
I appreciate the info! Thank you !

Old 06-30-2010, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 15,584 times
Default Lodi, Ca

Hi Mary
Came across your post. We're considering moving to Lodi from Minneapolis, for a job. We're a couple in our mid-20's, no kids.

What does the job situation look like for some one with a lib. arts college degree? Also, we'd be looking to rent a house and I've had little to no luck looking homes up online. Any suggestions?

I'm heading out to tour Lodi in a few weeks as well.
Could you tell me some 'can't miss' places in and around Lodi?

Thanks!
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary W View Post
Lodi is a wonderful place to raise a family but it may not be the perfect place for you to live if you are craving something close to a big city atmosphere. I moved here 25+ years ago from San Francisco when I got married.

Life for most revolves around activities with family, friends, church, school, youth sports, as well as community activities such as the weekly farmers market downtown. There is a movie theatre downtown, several non-chain coffee houses, an increasing number of good restaurants and lots of local wineries. There are only a couple of night clubs.

In general, Lodi is a place where people know their neighbors and take pride in their community. You can feel safe walking around most neighborhoods at night. (The general rule is that the safer part of Lodi is to the west of the railroad tracks that bisect the city.)

You'll have to decide if Lodi is the best place for you at this time in your life. If you decide to commute, be aware of the tule fog that can make driving difficult in the winter months. It's like driving in thick soup!

I love living in Lodi, but know that its comfortable small town atmosphere may not be the right fit for everyone.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 7,811 times
The company which I work for is closing the door in our plant. I live in chandler AZ wife an 2 teenagers, and I have an offer to work in Stockton CA. Our biggest concern is for the safety and well being of our kids. Looking for a safe place to live; I don't mind a commute, and need a good high school for my son freshman and a city college for my daughter. A Christian high school would be a plus, your input will be greatly appreciated, God bless. Carlos and family

Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM

12 posts, read 51,554 times
Lodi is most certainly a smaller town. There are some restaurants, one movie theater, and a few shops in a small downtown setting, but it is certainly not an evening focused town, nor a cultural center. Many compare it to smaller midwestern towns.

As for nearby areas, Stockton provides more amenities, but is definitely not a safe location any longer. It is has been ranked as one of the worst cities to live in for the entire country, and recently had to file for bankruptcy.

Elk Grove to the north of Lodi is much safer, and generally a good middle class smaller city. It is about 25 minutes from Lodi. It is a not large downtown type area, but more of a suburban sprawl, however it is only about 20 minutes from downtown Sacramento.

As others have mentioned, regardless of where you end up, consider the commute options. It will be against commuting traffic if you are north of Lodi (Elk Grove, Pocket, Sacramento, etc) so that will definitely save you time. 99 is old, less lanes, and pretty heavily used, whereas 5 is generally going to be a much better option.

If you have specific questions, please feel free to ask, my wife is from Lodi originally, and we are very familiar with the area and surroundings.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:38 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeskier View Post
Lodi is most certainly a smaller town. There are some restaurants, one movie theater, and a few shops in a small downtown setting, but it is certainly not an evening focused town, nor a cultural center. Many compare it to smaller midwestern towns.

As for nearby areas, Stockton provides more amenities, but is definitely not a safe location any longer. It is has been ranked as one of the worst cities to live in for the entire country, and recently had to file for bankruptcy.

Elk Grove to the north of Lodi is much safer, and generally a good middle class smaller city. It is about 25 minutes from Lodi. It is a not large downtown type area, but more of a suburban sprawl, however it is only about 20 minutes from downtown Sacramento.

As others have mentioned, regardless of where you end up, consider the commute options. It will be against commuting traffic if you are north of Lodi (Elk Grove, Pocket, Sacramento, etc) so that will definitely save you time. 99 is old, less lanes, and pretty heavily used, whereas 5 is generally going to be a much better option.

If you have specific questions, please feel free to ask, my wife is from Lodi originally, and we are very familiar with the area and surroundings.
Didn't they do a lot of work around Lodi on 99 in the last 5-6 years? Or was that all further north towards Galt and Elk Grove? There were numerous projects that I recall, just can't place them exactly, hehe.

I'd live in Elk Grove if Lodi isn't for ya. It's nice, and part of Sacto metro.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:53 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Gotta love all the Fear Uncertainty and Doubt spread around.

Aurora and Sandyhook anyone?

Carlos live in Lodi it has good schools and is "safe" and no commute. Plus there are many other bedroom communities right next to the Stockton-Lodi area. Lockford/Linden, etc.

Understand that Sacrmento, Gold Country, Sierra and the Bay area are all within in a quick 30-90 minute drive from Lodi.

Currently I live in Stockton "quivers in fear" in the neighborhood around University of the Pacfic. I sent all my kids through parochial schools including St.Mary's High School one of the best in North California.

PM me if you have any specfic questions- I have lived and worked in the Central Valley/Bay Area for the better part of 30+years. On and off in Stockton/Lodi for the last 25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento