Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 10:39 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times

Advertisements

From an editorial in today's Sac Bee:

The mayor and some council members have already made clear they're not going to sign off on anything that doesn't replace the $9 million or so that the parking operation generates annually for the general fund.

But you can bet that speakers and some on the council will use the agenda item Tuesday as a platform to inveigh against the evils of privatization.

Editorial: Why the rush to judgment when details await on a parking deal? - Sacramento Opinion - Sacramento Editorial | Sacramento Bee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 01:33 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
What's the rush? Well, for starters, March 1 is less than three weeks away, and so far we haven't seen a terms sheet. This kind of stalling tactic is very handy for those who want to shut out public comment--keep going "Hang on, hang on, the deal isn't even worked out yet!" until the last possible second, then once the deal is revealed, critics can be shut out because it's already a "done deal" and messing with the details would jeopardize the plan.

A lot of the recent arena spin seems really similar to the sort of advertising we saw during the housing boom, when people were borrowing tons of money in subprime mortgages to buy big houses. All the ads were focused on how important home ownership was, how you deserve not just a house, bit a big, dramatic house that would make you the envy of the neighbors. Of course, when people started defaulting on those inflated loans sold to the gullible in enormous numbers, you stopped seeing that sort of ad.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 PM

Professional Sports Facilities, Franchises and Urban Economic Development

Quote:
However, a growing body of evidence indicates that professional sports facilities, and the franchises they are home to, may not be engines of economic growth in urban neighborhoods. Econometric studies of the determination of income and employment in US cities find no evidence of positive economic benefits associated with past sports facility construction and some studies find that professional sports facilities and teams have a net negative economic impact on income and employment. These results suggest that at best, professional sports teams and facilities provide non-pecuniary benefits like civic pride, and a greater sense of community,along with consumption benefits to those attending games and following the local team in the media; at worst, residents of cities with professional sports teams pay a high cost for the privilege, both in terms of large public subsidies and in terms of lost income and employment.
Civic pride is nice, but is it worth hundreds of millions of dollars? Might there be easier, cheaper ways to promote civic pride in Sacramento, based on what we have and who we are?

Old 02-13-2012, 01:40 PM

660 posts, read 1,081,756 times
So ur hating the plan that doesn't exist because u don't think it's going to be favorable in your future opinion, which means you're rushing to judgement or ur psychic?

Old 02-13-2012, 02:55 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

Civic pride is nice, but is it worth hundreds of millions of dollars? Might there be easier, cheaper ways to promote civic pride in Sacramento, based on what we have and who we are?

Like how? Improving our schools and parks, fixing homelessness, hiring police and firefighters. I'm all for that but those issues will forever be prevalent in society. Outside Sacramento, people and the country recognize the city for being the home to the Kings and being a state capital.

In a world where we argue about political views and inequality between distrubition of wealth, the Kings provide a platform where we - as Sacramentans - can get away from it all and cheer for our only professional team that represents Sacramento on its jersey.

Only in sports can a city like ours complete with the New York's, Miami, Boston, and the other larger markets. For me its not about the Kings winning championships and competing every season, because that's the nature of sports - you win some and lose some. Rather having the team here is about providing other outlet of entertainment where we can spend quality time with friends and family.

This city supported the team since 1985, has one of the longest sellout streaks in NBA history. I really feel the citizens have become real spoiled in regards to the franchise's lack of success. The Kings were once good and became one of the elite teams in the league, gaining international recognition, putting Sacramento on the map. The team is terrible, no argument there. The Maloofs and general manager Geoff Petrie have made some very poor decisions in the draft and acquiring players. The Kings are going to be good again. They have a lot of potenial to grow. I hope us Kings fans can see the growth before it becomes to late and move elsewhere, ala the Seattle Supersonics aka Oklahoma City Thunder.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:48 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

If the Kings leave, those problems will remain and probably even worsen considering that there will be no substantial investment in our downtown area, and the fact that Sacramento will just continue to appear as a dowdy little cowtown that can never get things done and never will, thus destroying business confidence which is already nearly non-existent in this slow paced city.

Again, this is not about giving money to millionaires or just building an arena for the Kings. This is about investing in this city's future, in creating an arena that would keep our professional team here, and ALSO draw other big name events to this city. It will also drive investment and act as a catalyst for the development of the Railyards area, and help to make our downtown more vibrant thus driving in more tourism dollars as well as significantly improving business confidence.

You have to invest money to make money. Sure, if you are just looking at the balance sheet for the arena, it's not that attractive, but the intangibles far outweigh the costs. And the costs of not ever getting this built will haunt this city for generations to come, I'll guarantee you that much.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:58 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Fear mongering and delusion. With or without the Kings, Sacramento doesn't really compare to New York City on any level, including sports. You absolute have to invest money, but as most all sports economists have pointed out again and again, arenas aren't investments. They're just throwing money away. You might as well invest in a thousand Ferraris. At the end of the day, at least they'd depreciate less. Then we could build a private track and rent the Ferris out. Now that would be unique. Stupid, but at least that's something New York City doesn't have for those Sacramentans with inferiority complexes to point to. Blah blah, catalyst, tourism, blah. We've got a winner. Thousand Ferraris it is!

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

Anyway, looks like Seattle wants back in the appeasement game. Probably not in time for the Kings who can't wait to get out of Dodge, but with the majority of teams losing money its only a matter of time until another floundering team starts looking for its next tax-payer subsidy.

Last edited by Malloric; 02-13-2012 at 06:10 PM..

Old 02-13-2012, 07:53 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Fear mongering and delusion. With or without the Kings, Sacramento doesn't really compare to New York City on any level, including sports. You absolute have to invest money, but as most all sports economists have pointed out again and again, arenas aren't investments. They're just throwing money away. You might as well invest in a thousand Ferraris. At the end of the day, at least they'd depreciate less. Then we could build a private track and rent the Ferris out. Now that would be unique. Stupid, but at least that's something New York City doesn't have for those Sacramentans with inferiority complexes to point to. Blah blah, catalyst, tourism, blah. We've got a winner. Thousand Ferraris it is!

Seattle's NBA dreams may come at Sacramento's expense | NBA.com

Anyway, looks like Seattle wants back in the appeasement game. Probably not in time for the Kings who can't wait to get out of Dodge, but with the majority of teams losing money its only a matter of time until another floundering team starts looking for its next tax-payer subsidy.
So let's just let our only professional team leave, let's close the door on developing the railyards (because face it, without the arena, it's going to be another generation before that's even looked at the way our economy's going), and let's go back to just being the backwater to the bay.

Sacramento has an inferiority complex because there are too many people in this town who won't ever want anything great for this place. This is a town that is so accustomed and satisfied with mediocrity, and so stingy, that they would not invest a dime into making this city anything more than just "OK". That's unfortunate because the location of this city and its population base is already there to bring it to the next level, but it's the typical old time residents of this city and their attitudes that are holding it back.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 PM

If you're one of the people complaining about all the reasons Sacramento sucks, and why an arena will solve all our problems, you are the ones with an inferiority complex.

News flash: You'll still have an inferiority complex even if we do get an arena, there will be some other dumb useless thing we'll missing for you to whine about. I'll continue to like it here either way.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 PM

660 posts, read 1,081,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
So let's just let our only professional team leave, let's close the door on developing the railyards (because face it, without the arena, it's going to be another generation before that's even looked at the way our economy's going), and let's go back to just being the backwater to the bay.

Sacramento has an inferiority complex because there are too many people in this town who won't ever want anything great for this place. This is a town that is so accustomed and satisfied with mediocrity, and so stingy, that they would not invest a dime into making this city anything more than just "OK". That's unfortunate because the location of this city and its population base is already there to bring it to the next level, but it's the typical old time residents of this city and their attitudes that are holding it back.
I agree with all this and I like the fact that you brought up the railyards. A poster Sactown Royalty (a website/forum dedicated to the Sacramento Kings) came up with this email that was sent to the city council that I'd like to share here.

***Truth in advertising. I am a King's fan. Season ticket holder for 24 years. My son attended Mitch Richmond, Derrick Dickey, Vinnie Del Negro and many other King's summer basketball camps. He learned a lot about the game and some about life. He had attended the Dickey camp at about age 8. About 6 months later he saw Derrick on the floor after a game. He asked if he could speak to him. I said he doesn't want to be bothered. He said Derrick had stated they could come up to him to talk anytime, so I said OK. As I watched the conversation extend to 5 minutes I walked down to make sure things were ok. I found Derrick talking him about hoop and the importance of education and to watch out for the kids who may try to lead you away from your goals. My son is now 25 and remembers the camps and the departed Dickey fondly. He is now well educated but unfortunately genetically challenged for the NBA.

All that said, I won't bore you with how the jobs and revenue will help the Sacramento Community and help diversify our jobs market from state related jobs.

I will say that the King's charity work is irreplaceable. I won't remind you that you have all agreed that the current parking revenue stream will be replaced (say a 4 or 5 $ a ticket surcharge?) so that is a non-issue. I will remind you that the tourism head said a few years ago that the King's directly influenced 3 or 4 million dollars a year being spent in Sac. I will also remind you that the chief of police wants the jobs it will provide for our city.

My point is, that even with all the Disney on Ice events and all the concerts I have gone to with my daughter, I still think the primary thought should be "does this project pencil out and will it be good for the city". From everything I have read, heard and surmised, this project goes beyond pencilling out; It could change the dynamics of the city forever.

You people are in control of the future of Sacramento. This is a time to forget politics, forget how will your vote affect your chances of being re-elected, and do what's best for the city. Let Sacramento have the greatness it deserves. To stumble or fail here could adversely affect the next 50 years . I want to , in 20 years, walk with my kids, and their kids, through the streets of the Railyard and tell them that I remember when this booming bustling heart of sacramento was just a pile of toxic dirt.

As a side point, I was reading a Sac Bee circa 1955 + or - and it was discussing all the possibilities of the railyard. Seriously. I am 61 and the city has spent my entire life trying to figure out what to do. End the discussion, vote for greatness, and you will forever be known as the city council that ushered in the great new era of Sacramento.

35 and 31. I'm calling it now. Reke and Cousins 1-2 in most improved award both All-stars. Jimmer leads rookies in scoring, passing and Ole's. Make 2nd round of playoffs and Salmons is not here by seasons end.***

2 generations of Sacramentans have lived in this city since the Railyards actually had something good going on for them. I have friends/family that have lived here their entire lives and have no idea what that huge swath of dirt is off the 5 freeway north of downtown. That land has been sitting there rotting away for decades with no sign of ever turning around. We finally have an opportunity to do something positive with the Railyard, to bring some development into the largest undeveloped urban infill project in the United States, and you people want to do is argue about it! How about we just work together and get this done, not only for the good of our city but for the benefit of our region for generations to come.

If we don't get this arena built it will be at least a decade, probably much longer before something productive gets done with the railyard. If you guys think an arena is a bad idea for the railyard then what else would you want for it? Certainly sitting there empty and deteriorating isn't helping anybody. We have a plan in place to finally do something that will improve the railyard, downtown, and the Sacramento region as a whole. It's time to put aside our petty differences, cut the bull**** and get this done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento