Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:18 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
I get that--my biggest complaint about Sac which I really do love--is the lack of good music. (Of course, I usually drive to the Fox Theater in Oakland for good music, so an arena would probably not help.)

Okay, but what I don't get is your implied conclusion. You say Sacramento is telling the entertainment world to play somewhere crappy or don't play her at all. Assuming that true, the other option is to build a big effing arena and say to the entertainment world "Come! Play here! We have built you an arena using taxpayer money!" I'm not sure I understand how the latter is a feasible and preferable alternative to the status quo.
The arena deal did not involve any taxes or tax payer money. It was not even going to effect the general fund.

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. You think it would be better for Sacramento to do nothing rather than pony up a bit for it's own entertainment? I donno, I guess some people just don't mind the fact that our entertainment venues typically sit completely emptry... during the most vibrant months of the year in the country.

Oh well I suppose another new museum that does not generate any revenue and closes at 6pm on saturday will supposedly bring us more entertainment and nightlife...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:11 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
That $255 million wasn't going to appear by magic--it was based on diverting money that currently goes into city coffers to a private company in return for an up-front payment equal to a fraction of the long-term value. And that's assuming that the arena lived up to its rosy projections, which arenas generally don't.

Sacramento's entertainment venues don't sit empty, unless you don't consider anything holding less than 10,000 people to count as an entertainment venue.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:27 PM

771 posts, read 1,582,140 times
I think if the STOP coalition gets their initiative on the ballot is going to pass overwhelmingly. What really needs to happen isn't a new arena - someone decent that's not a braindead moron needs to run for Mayor. Right now, I think KJ is easily beatable no matter how much developer money is backing him.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:28 PM

And for the record, I'm opposed to any arena deal, or even developing the railyards UNTIL they get K Street redeveloped and full. Our council and Mayor are incompetent nitwits. I'm going to be glad to see the Kings gone.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:38 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
And for the record, I'm opposed to any arena deal, or even developing the railyards UNTIL they get K Street redeveloped and full. Our council and Mayor are incompetent nitwits. I'm going to be glad to see the Kings gone.
Don't count them out yet. The kabuki continues ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Sacramento may get new arena, but it will be without Kings - Kings/NBA - The Sacramento Bee

Old 04-28-2012, 12:11 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Developing the infrastructure of the Railyards and the intermodal depot is a separate, and related, track to developing K Street. Without the arena project distracting them, perhaps CIM/Taylor will turn their attention back on the 800 block of K Street--they won the city contract to fix up that block, although their project didn't get approval before the redevelopment money went away. They do still have their MOPA funds (from the sale of the Sheraton) that was going to be used for an arena parking structure that could be used to start up the 800 block.

But the 700 K Street block project should start construction any time now, including 150 apartments and a 500 seat music venue--and there are a lot of new places opening up along K these days already, at least the segment between 7th and 13th.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Don't count them out yet. The kabuki continues ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Sacramento may get new arena, but it will be without Kings - Kings/NBA - The Sacramento Bee
Its amazing to me how incredibly dumb and incompetent KJ looks each day this goes on. He's done nothing as Mayor... right now, I think he's very beatable even with a candidate running on a shoestring. The guy has little political savvy whatsoever. Pretty obvious that the developers have been pulling his strings since Day 1...

Old 04-29-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Developing the infrastructure of the Railyards and the intermodal depot is a separate, and related, track to developing K Street. Without the arena project distracting them, perhaps CIM/Taylor will turn their attention back on the 800 block of K Street--they won the city contract to fix up that block, although their project didn't get approval before the redevelopment money went away. They do still have their MOPA funds (from the sale of the Sheraton) that was going to be used for an arena parking structure that could be used to start up the 800 block.

But the 700 K Street block project should start construction any time now, including 150 apartments and a 500 seat music venue--and there are a lot of new places opening up along K these days already, at least the segment between 7th and 13th.
Reopening some of K to traffic was a good move. Hopefully getting some new construction down there will lead to enough foot traffic that the cops will start shooing away the more annoying street people and the gang bangers. Eventually they'll get them all moved over to the intermodal station and we won't see them anymore...

Old 05-01-2012, 06:10 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Default This just in!

Is this really even news anymore or just the product of a slow news day for the Bee?

Kings mired in a Maloofs-vs.-Sacramento stalemate - Kings/NBA - The Sacramento Bee

Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
Reopening some of K to traffic was a good move. Hopefully getting some new construction down there will lead to enough foot traffic that the cops will start shooing away the more annoying street people and the gang bangers. Eventually they'll get them all moved over to the intermodal station and we won't see them anymore...
Really?? How can it be a good move? There's like a couple drop off pockets, no increase in foot traffic and annoying street people wouldn't keep non annoying folks from more 'decent' areas away from a K Street that was being allowed to develop properly. Decaying Downtowns in larger cities with vagrancy loitering have been rejuvenated without shooing anyone anywhere. Police are available to remind ANYone that indecent behavior isn't allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento