Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 04:46 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times

Advertisements

I moved to Davis from San Francisco in 2002, and for the first time in my life started having problems with allergic asthma-type problems almost all parts of the year that it isn't raining some (late spring to early winter), which my doctor said is from the awful air quality here. I don't know if Davis is any better or worse than Sacramento, though with Interstate 80 running right through the middle of town, I don't see how it could be that much better, but I certainly never had any of these problems when I lived in San Francisco, and even now, if I go there for a long weekend, my lungs feel much better. I'm sure this part of the Central Valley is better than the northern part and the foothills, where the smog backs up against the mountains, but it still isn't great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 02:57 PM

815 posts, read 2,699,658 times
The past three days have been the absolute worst I've seen in a long time due to all the smoke from the fires combining with the smog. It is so ugly and brown out there today. Funny how Sacramento's sorry excuse for local television media has barely mentioned how bad it is.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,392 times
Hello everyone I'm new to california and after relocating from the east coast I use to think that PA had a bad air quality. I live in Sacramento and I'm devestated that the air is dirty I mean it is every where I have to constantly wash not wipe the dirt off of surfaces I was worried about the dust in the air back east but not the dirt that is here in Ca!!! so when you move here can anybody tell me where the clean air is ???? should I move closer to the coast or what. I'm really concerned for my health and very disappointed moving here what would you suggest???

Old 10-15-2007, 02:03 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanbellaire View Post
Hello everyone I'm new to california and after relocating from the east coast I use to think that PA had a bad air quality. I live in Sacramento and I'm devestated that the air is dirty I mean it is every where I have to constantly wash not wipe the dirt off of surfaces I was worried about the dust in the air back east but not the dirt that is here in Ca!!! so when you move here can anybody tell me where the clean air is ???? should I move closer to the coast or what. I'm really concerned for my health and very disappointed moving here what would you suggest???
The air is cleaner as you get closer to the coastal area.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,392 times
Thanks for the quick response new to CA !!!I thought so

Old 10-16-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanbellaire View Post
Thanks for the quick response new to CA !!!I thought so
This time of year the air quality has improved dramatically from even a month ago. We finally have cool, damp air circulating the atmosphere so the cleaner air should remain until about late April or mid May. The problem with Sacramento is that during the dry months, May through September, there is absolutely very little to no air circulation. The inversion layer sets in trapping all the pollution over the valley like a lid on a skillet. The only escape is to drive to the coast. Thats why San Francisco has such pristine air most of the year - not because its a cleaner city, but because of the constant ocean air inluence. The stagnate summer climate of the Central Valley is less than an ideal location for a big city with major urban sprawl issues.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:47 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
This time of year the air quality has improved dramatically from even a month ago. We finally have cool, damp air circulating the atmosphere so the cleaner air should remain until about late April or mid May. The problem with Sacramento is that during the dry months, May through September, there is absolutely very little to no air circulation. The inversion layer sets in trapping all the pollution over the valley like a lid on a skillet. The only escape is to drive to the coast. Thats why San Francisco has such pristine air most of the year - not because its a cleaner city, but because of the constant ocean air inluence. The stagnate summer climate of the Central Valley is less than an ideal location for a big city with major urban sprawl issues.
True, but the air is gradually better as you go from Sacramento towards San Francisco. It doesn't "suddenly" improve in San Francisco, it somewhat improves the entire trip. That is why the Air Quality Index is somewhat better in Davis than in Sacramento, and somewhat better in Fairfield as compared to Davis.

We also agree that the problem is really a five month issue, once we get to October the air is pretty great all through this area (except for those with allergies).

Old 10-17-2007, 07:49 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,112,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
Is this map generally accurate for the conditions there?
[thinking of moving to Chico/Butte county area]

California Air Quality Map

Old 10-17-2007, 10:52 PM

Default That map can't be totally right!

WOW - thats a really scary map!
I believe the red, section F, for Los Angeles but I would have thought more of the Sacramento region would have been in the yellow, letter D range. I would have thought the North Coast, (Eureka), would have been in the A or B section. According to this map, about 80% of California has crappy air. I really do question the accuracy of this map though and I'm curious as to why there is no letter E.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:45 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,112,381 times
I agree, I thought it was surprising.
I just noticed something . . .
HTH could there be such an abrupt change in air quality directly over the state borders . . .

And rather off topic, but according to their report, the entire island of Oahu Hawaii has high levels of carbon monoxide?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento