Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 PM

4 posts, read 7,889 times

Advertisements

Another thread asking for your suggestions on the Sacramento area. I lived in Sacramento for 5 years, but never really explored the suburbs. I prefer to live on the outskirts of Sacramento or any town in particular. I don't want to purchase in a really busy area.

My wife and I are looking to purchase a our first home, around $250K. We are currently expecting our first child. I work in downtown Sacramento and she works in Roseville, so we do have to consider both commutes. We currently live in the Arden area.

The initial area we saw interest in, due to its location, was North Natomas. There are nice homes that are affordable. We also read about the issues being a flood area, but aren't too sure how serious this really is.

Also considered Elk Grove, similar homes to Natomas in pricing. My wifes parents also live in the area and can possibly help with babysitting, which is a great benefit. This will be very far from my wifes work, but we can probably carpool to my work.

Another option would just be go Roseville/Rocklin area, which I would have to commute to downtown Sacramento. I am not sure how bad this commute really is yet. This area seems preferred by most, according to what I read so far. Homes are also more expensive. We would need a full time babysitter for sure.

I know the choice will come down to each individual needs(pros/cons). I just want some feed back on the areas I mentioned, and possibly any other area that I would want to look at. Also any information about specific neighborhoods will be even better.

Any feedback, suggestions, advice is greatly to a first time buyer is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 05:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Given your situation, I'd pick Roseville over Elk Grove, and Elk Grove over Natomas. Primary consideration for me would be schools, and secondary would be future home appreciation.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:43 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
^^^Yes.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:43 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Given your situation, I'd pick Roseville over Elk Grove, and Elk Grove over Natomas. Primary consideration for me would be schools, and secondary would be future home appreciation.
This is pretty much dead on.

I read your post and I wanted to make sure I understood it right. Your in laws live in Elk Grove area? That is a big deal to have free and dependable baby sitting that you can trust. The main problem with this is that it makes both you and your wife commute. I think the commute to Roseville would be pretty bad from Elk Grove and would get old very fast.

Personally I would pick Roseville / Rocklin first out of your options. It keeps your wife's work close to home and only one of you would then have to commute. It's always nice to be a couple minutes away from your children.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:03 PM

152 posts, read 232,433 times
Maybe Folsom or Eldorado Hills. You could cruise down Hwy 50 into Downtown for your commute.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,435 times
I'm not sure if you've looked at daycare prices, but if you haven't you may want to. I know I could do a lot more if I didn't have that expense, but then again kids can lean a lot at daycare.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
This is pretty much dead on.

I read your post and I wanted to make sure I understood it right. Your in laws live in Elk Grove area? That is a big deal to have free and dependable baby sitting that you can trust. The main problem with this is that it makes both you and your wife commute. I think the commute to Roseville would be pretty bad from Elk Grove and would get old very fast.

Personally I would pick Roseville / Rocklin first out of your options. It keeps your wife's work close to home and only one of you would then have to commute. It's always nice to be a couple minutes away from your children.

Yes, my in-laws are in the Elk Grove area and would help with babysitting. But like you said, Im not so sure about the commute for my wife. We can carpool though; she would drive from downtown to Roseville.

I would definitely choose Roseville over Elk Grove if we didn't have family down there to help out. I would rather do the commute from Roseville to Downtown, than have my wife do it. Roseville seem overall nicer/safer, thus being more expensive.

I guess I am stuck at the moment. Daycare is a huge expense, so we would be better on finances if we did have help. I will have to make this decision soon though.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:39 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc916 View Post
Yes, my in-laws are in the Elk Grove area and would help with babysitting. But like you said, Im not so sure about the commute for my wife. We can carpool though; she would drive from downtown to Roseville.

I would definitely choose Roseville over Elk Grove if we didn't have family down there to help out. I would rather do the commute from Roseville to Downtown, than have my wife do it. Roseville seem overall nicer/safer, thus being more expensive.

I guess I am stuck at the moment. Daycare is a huge expense, so we would be better on finances if we did have help. I will have to make this decision soon though.
You could possibly just rent in Elk Grove for the time being until your kids are old enough to go to school and then buy in your desired area. That would allow you to keep the free-family babysitting for the time being which is a very big plus. Then once the kids are old enough to go to school you can buy in Roseville and only have to worry about afternoon daycare of some sort or after school activities. It would limit the years of the miserable commute to just a few years. Which is a lot more bearable than the alternative.

This is just another idea whether it is plausible for you or not, that's up to you.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
You could possibly just rent in Elk Grove for the time being until your kids are old enough to go to school and then buy in your desired area. That would allow you to keep the free-family babysitting for the time being which is a very big plus. Then once the kids are old enough to go to school you can buy in Roseville and only have to worry about afternoon daycare of some sort or after school activities. It would limit the years of the miserable commute to just a few years. Which is a lot more bearable than the alternative.

This is just another idea whether it is plausible for you or not, that's up to you.
Well I was thinking, if I am going to rent a house and live in it for ~5 years, you might as well buy right?

Old 03-29-2012, 01:49 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,308,084 times
How comfortable is your wife with the commute from Elk Grove to Roseville? How comfortable are you with the commute from Elk Grove to Downtown? Did you budget in transportation costs of driving back and forth from those two areas? Given your budget and where you and your wife work, have you considered Mission Oaks North? In your price range you should be able to find plenty of nice housing with good schools more importantly neither of you nor your wife would have to spend so much time commuting everywhere, by living somewhere between where both you and your wife work, both you can be home reasonably quickly after work to spend more time together as a family.

http://www.msa2.saccounty.net/planni...ion%20Oaks.pdf

For elementary schools you would have access to James Cowan or Mission Oaks Open School, for middle schools you would have access to Churchill or Arcade and for High School either Mira Loma or El Camino.

Mission Avenue Open Elementary School - 2925 Mission Ave, Carmichael, CA - Homes for sale, reviews & ratings | Redfin
James Cowan Fund Elementary School - 3350 Becerra Way, Sacramento, CA - Homes for sale, reviews & ratings | Redfin
Mira Loma High School - 4000 Edison Ave, Sacramento, CA - Homes for sale, reviews & ratings | Redfin
El Camino Fundamental High School - 4300 El Camino Ave, Sacramento, CA - Homes for sale, reviews & ratings | Redfin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento