Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 11:27 PM

3 posts, read 7,387 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the Bay Area for 5 years. Next year I will be finishing graduate school and possibly have the opportunity to work for the state up in Sac. I'm really burned out of the city lifestyle, and am defiantly OVER the Bay Area. I LOVE Tahoe and am wondering, is it possible to live in/around a Lake Tahoe community but commute to Sac everyday for work? Or is it pretty near impossible? I'm not sure what the traffic patterns are in that area. If it is possible, do you have any suggestions for communities (that are NOT Davis or Vallejo)? For background purposes I'm a 31 year old female and single, so any place that's a little friendly for singles would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. Anyway, I grew up on a farm in the mid-west near lake-effect snow, I wrote the book on rural living and miss it very much! So I know what I'm getting into by signing up for Tahoe living. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 12:26 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsswift View Post
I've lived in the Bay Area for 5 years. Next year I will be finishing graduate school and possibly have the opportunity to work for the state up in Sac. I'm really burned out of the city lifestyle, and am defiantly OVER the Bay Area. I LOVE Tahoe and am wondering, is it possible to live in/around a Lake Tahoe community but commute to Sac everyday for work? Or is it pretty near impossible? I'm not sure what the traffic patterns are in that area. If it is possible, do you have any suggestions for communities (that are NOT Davis or Vallejo)? For background purposes I'm a 31 year old female and single, so any place that's a little friendly for singles would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. Anyway, I grew up on a farm in the mid-west near lake-effect snow, I wrote the book on rural living and miss it very much! So I know what I'm getting into by signing up for Tahoe living. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
We just came back from a brief stay in Tahoe... beautiful!

However, as someone who did 2 1/2 years commuting from Crestline Ca. (near Arrowhead) to Anaheim, Ca. I can tell you aside from the winter and fog going up and down the mountain and those headaches, the COST of commuting really whaled on us financially! The gas isn't the only issue... the frequent oil changes, the brakes, tires general wear and tear on the car that ran it into the ground much faster than if we lived near our work, etc. etc.
It was fun while it lasted to a degree... we lived for the weekends, but just do not underestimate the cost of the commute!! (and it did wear on our nerves in the end)

BTW, while we were in the Sacramento area, we did do a day trip to Placerville, and that was a cute town. Took us about 45 minutes to get there.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:27 AM

457 posts, read 1,182,427 times
No.

That would be absolutely unbearable in my eyes. I would look at something maybe south towards Galt or the Delta more to get the country vibe if you want that. Otherwise a commute in the hills east of Sacramento will take a while and I would not go out that far if you want to have some free time other than commute / work all day. Singles also tend to stay around cities for the most part or thats usually where they go for opportunities in my opinion.

Take a look at a map and see how far you're willing to drive into your job.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 AM

4,626 posts, read 4,894,804 times
There's no way I would do that.

However, if you desire living in the mountains, Colfax, Camino, Placerville, Pollock Pines, or Grass Valley are "reasonable" for some people. You will miss some days of work due to snow though. And you'll probably work with some people who live nearby.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,209 times
Yeah...no way you can live in Tahoe. Do you *need* mountains, or just open space? scorpio highlights some good foothill towns (most are still too long of a commute for my taste...), but there are a lot of much closer areas to find the quiet, rural, and open, if "flat" doesn't bother you. If it were me, I'd head towards Clarksburg and see what was available.

In addition to what's already been recommended, you could head out towards Vaca mountains. Immediately west of Winters, there are some lovely areas.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:06 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
As usual, I wouldn't rule out looking at Sacramento proper, both due to a relatively large city being better for singles, and you're close enough to Tahoe to drive up there on weekends a lot more easily than the Bay Area. The vibe of Sacramento is very different from the Bay Area. Plus you can save yourself a whole lot of gas money.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:23 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,776 times
Pollock Pines, Nevada City, Pioneer, Colfax would all work if you have a snow blower, four wheel drive, snow tires, and possibly a backup generator. Tahoe would be out of the question as the road will be closed at times.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:50 PM

484 posts, read 854,746 times
NO! its part of my work region and when I visit Tahoe my company keeps me in a hotel.

In the summer there are occasional fires and winter their are storms. There are days when you will encounter accidents or toursits traffic to visit or leave the Tahoe Region and also road maint.

The wear on your car the gas and the time. I personally need to chillax after about a 1.3o of driving. So it may read out as 2.30 on map quest but I would add 30 or a hour each way. if your going to use map quest for a idea. let me just say if you like driving THAT MUCH become a truck driver and get paid to do it.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:13 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
I wouldn't venture any higher up the hill than Meadow Vista.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:10 PM

15 posts, read 49,766 times
Default Amtrak

There is an Amtrak station in Auburn and parking is free. Amtrak also runs buses from Auburn to downtown Sacramento Amtrak station.

Also, Placer County has a frequent bus from same train station that runs to the light rail on I-80 & Watt.

If I were going to commute, I would live around Auburn and use this public transportation and buy monthly passes.

I would not live anywhere on 49 toward Nevada City; the road narrows to 2 lanes in places; there are so many head on collisions every year....scary...not to mention construction projects and bad winter weather.

There is also an Amtrak to South Tahoe but I don't know if it's a good commuter train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento