Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times

Advertisements

Now hang on a sec...you want to kick out the poor people out of downtown around the arena so they won't scare off the rich people. Sounds like you're the elitist to me, definitely more so than wanting to see a monster truck show but not for, apparently, the right reasons.

Last edited by wburg; 06-24-2013 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacramentoBound View Post
It was a joke. Thomas Edison was basically Nikola Tesla's arch-nemesis.
Ahh! I beg your pardon then. I know the reference, I guess, unfortunately, when on the internet, my first reaction is usually to assume someone is confused or hasn't thought through their reply, rather than that they were being clever.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:40 AM

771 posts, read 1,582,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacramentoBound View Post
Unlike presently, when you and others like you are salivating at the opportunity to take a $200 million (lowball) handout from the rest of us.
More like $400 to $500 million. That sure would fix/build a lot of schools. I don't see NBA players or fans developing the cure for cancer, or doing strength of materials engineering for building space tethers, coming up with the next big technological innovation, etc. I do see lots of tattoos, bad rap music, thuggish behavior and lots of really fat people in the stands that live vicariously through other people who do ZERO to improve anyone's lot in society other than stealing our money to line billionaries' pockets.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM

409 posts, read 957,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
More like $400 to $500 million. That sure would fix/build a lot of schools. I don't see NBA players or fans developing the cure for cancer, or doing strength of materials engineering for building space tethers, coming up with the next big technological innovation, etc. I do see lots of tattoos, bad rap music, thuggish behavior and lots of really fat people in the stands that live vicariously through other people who do ZERO to improve anyone's lot in society other than stealing our money to line billionaries' pockets.
A lot of money can be tossed at the schools but it's not a "sure thing" just like building the arena is not a sure thing in terms of improving the appeal of Sacramento and generating jobs and income. If the arena is built it will provide needed jobs at least in the short term (that is a given) and hopefully will attract more business interests to downtown with subsequent employment opportunities in the future.

The problem with most poor performing schools in and outside of California?...it starts at home...uninvolved parents who let undisciplined children grow up and accept that thuggery is the norm and education is a waste of time. Schools share the responsibility as well...teach the basics well, give attention to kids who are struggling early on, and retain teachers based on merit.

In tiny rural Kansas district, students out-performing global competition

Old 06-24-2013, 12:22 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
I do see lots of tattoos, bad rap music, thuggish behavior and lots of really fat people in the stands that live vicariously through other people who do ZERO to improve anyone's lot in society other than stealing our money to line billionaries' pockets.
I'm going to start a pool where we vote on how many posts it takes bluevelo to mention something about thugs and/or thuggish behavior.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:16 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,390 times
If people don't like basketball or the "thuggish behavior" that's associated with the NBA, then that's fine. Don't attend an NBA game.

I'm an educated person, hold degrees from a good UC school, and love NBA basketball and the Kings. I couldn't care less about the Crocker Art Museum and its expansion. I don't understand art. Nor do I give a rats a** about the B street theater or the Powerhouse Science Center. But I know having museums and other civic projects are important for the city and for the people who enjoy them. I don't mind spending taxes for things that are going to improve this town. The new arena is one of them. Yes, I'm in favor of the arena because I am a basketball fan. But other events will occupy the arena for 200 + nights.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
The city doesn't own the B Street, nor does it own the Powerhouse Science Center, those are private nonprofits. We own the Crocker, and have for 125 years, but the Crocker doesn't have investors, they have contributors--they were given money by private parties, not expecting a return. An arena is a fundamentally different thing, both in terms of scale of civic investment and the expectations of the private investors. They aren't giving anything, they expect to make money. The reason why they can make money is because the city is taking all the risk and is in position to absorb the loss. They can make a profit even if the arena doesn't meet up to expectations, and there is little the city will be able to do about it.

My concerns about this plan have nothing to do with whether or not I am a sports fan or have any interest in attending concerts. It has to do with the fundamental financial weaknesses of the proposed plan. It is set up to work the same way that redevelopment of the West End and the creation of the K Street Mall did. People call those failures now, and in terms of urban vitality, they were, but they were enormous successes from the perspective of the developers who built the projects. The city is a cash cow, and the taxpayers are the ones getting squeezed.

And, as I have said before and will say again, the studies on arenas show that arenas don't do a particularly good job of generating returns for the municipality. The private sector tends to make a mint, but they're making their money off the taxpayers and the city.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:47 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,279,210 times
How about Hoover Pavillion, ya know the vacuum company, for sucking up the general fund, lol, ya know I'm not serious , hehe

Old 06-24-2013, 05:13 PM

Wurg, you know the Crocker doesn't generate anywhere near the profits the NBA/Kings generate, nor does it have a positive affect on as many people. I love the Crocker, it's a tiny-wee bit of the Tate, Louvre, & Guggenheim in Sacramento.

Cool cities have great Art museums and entertainment arenas.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Now hang on a sec...you want to kick out the poor people out of downtown around the arena so they won't scare off the rich people. Sounds like you're the elitist to me, definitely more so than wanting to see a monster truck show but not for, apparently, the right reasons.
To whom are you directing this post? I have no desire to kick out poor people.

We can call it, "The People's Arena", if you so desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento