Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 14,337 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are relocating to Sacramento area for new jobs from Fresno. We have had a terrible time finding an apartment or rental unit that suits are needs (washer/dryer hookups and that allow outdoor cat). Finally we found a cute duplex located towards the corner of Auburn Blvd & College Oak Drive. It is off the I-80 & Watt Ave. Don't really know what else is around.

The area seemed decent. However given that we are not familiar with Sacramento, we are concerned that the area may be worse than we are led to believe. We can not afford to put off finding a place any longer since we have to report to work in 3 weeks.

Any information or feedback you provide on this area will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 09:31 AM

216 posts, read 376,658 times
You should have no trouble finding apartments (unless your price range
is low). There is a glut of apartments available and many offer one month
free rent just to get you in the door. If the area you refer to is above the American
river then its fine actually quite upmarket. If its below, then your in the
Rosemont/Glenmont area which I looked at. It's solid middle class but with
problems since its located next to low class areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy0604 View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are relocating to Sacramento area for new jobs from Fresno. We have had a terrible time finding an apartment or rental unit that suits are needs (washer/dryer hookups and that allow outdoor cat). Finally we found a cute duplex located towards the corner of Auburn Blvd & College Oak Drive. It is off the I-80 & Watt Ave. Don't really know what else is around.

The area seemed decent. However given that we are not familiar with Sacramento, we are concerned that the area may be worse than we are led to believe. We can not afford to put off finding a place any longer since we have to report to work in 3 weeks.

Any information or feedback you provide on this area will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:48 PM

16 posts, read 51,445 times
Crime wise, it's not bad. It's not exactly what I'd call surburban, as Auburn Blvd is a very busy street with LOTS of businesses. You'll be near American River College, so you may have college students for neighbors. The traffic can be pretty congested, especially during commute. But all in all, you'll be fine there.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:11 AM

Thank you for the feedback. I feel a bit more at ease. Its actually nice to know that I will be near a college as well. Now my only concern is how early I should leave for work (time wise) for the commute. My job will be in West Sacramento so I know that is probably at least a 30 minute commute. Thanks again.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:48 PM
CEO

39 posts, read 178,317 times
The area around American River College is pretty nice. But i would say once you cross over Auburn and Watt it's bad. I always see police car around that intersection.

But if you live further in, then it should not be a problem. It's a busy area and might find your self in traffic since the highway onramp is nearby.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:50 PM

179 posts, read 768,447 times
Auburn and College Oak should be fine. Don't know the exact neighborhood, but I drive through there all the time to get to the freeway. I would think it's a fine area to rent. Seconds to the freeway! I know there are some duplex homes around Orange Grove and Sycamore that is very close to there and that is a VERY affluent neighborhood ($1,000,000 PLUS homes!).

Old 11-14-2007, 09:34 PM

I am so grateful for the feedback. I feel so much better now about this move. THe place I will be renting is a small little house (might be considered a duplex although its by itself) in a culdesac near Orange Grove/Auburn Blvd. For the most part a lot of people have been telling me how much better Sacramento is compared to Fresno. Then again I think any place is better than Fresno. LOL. Thank you again

Old 12-23-2007, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,691 times
If You Can Afford The Extra 15-20 Minutes On Your Commute, You May Want To Take A Quick Look A Little More East Into Placer County (roseville, Loomis, Rocklin, Auburn). If You Are Accustomed To Fresno, Then Sacramento Will Probably Not Be Much Different. From Personal Opinion, Based On My Trips Down To Fresno And Most Of My Life In Sac, Here It Is Faster, Dirtier, Colder, But More People Speak English And Generally, The Commerce Is Better (more Expensive Though). I Was Born In Sacramento County In Carmichael Which Is Close To The Place You're Looking At, I Now Live In Auburn (placer County) And Honestly I Would Never, Ever Go Back! Look At Sac's Sheriff's Dept. Reputation For Brutality, This Town Hosts A "friendship Park" For Its Transient Child Molesters, Addicts And Rapists, Meth Capital Of The Nation, And Not To Mention It Is Often Highly Praised In Rap Music For Its Contribution To The Gang Culture. Sorry To Be Negative, But If You've Gotta Move, I'm Offering The Honest Opinion Of A Law Abiding, Young Mother Who Honors Integrity And Trust In Her Community Above Most Things Else That One Considers In Life; Really Check Your Research Before You Commit To Sacramento County, Especially The "north Highlands/carmichael" General Area.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:40 AM

17 posts, read 123,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycatchison View Post
...Really Check Your Research Before You Commit To Sacramento County, Especially The "north Highlands/carmichael" General Area.
Auburn and College Oak is neither Carmichael, nor North Highlands. It is Foothill Farms. Like MamaToThree said, you'll be right next to a VERY affluent neighborhood ($1,000,000 PLUS homes!) that are around Orange Grove and Sycamore.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 AM

3 posts, read 9,189 times
nancy0604, I think you should not consider Placer County if you work in West Sacramento. You will not be adding 15-20 minutes to your commute unless you drive an SUV at 90 MPH but probably 30 minutes and the commute is already that much. It is very difficult to escape the city if you work in it. White Flight just isn't worth it unless you can find a job in the boonies.

joycatchison, can you possibly turn off the setting of your word processor that makes every word begin with an upper case letter like a 200 word book title (except when preceded by a quote mark)? It is too weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento