Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 10:11 PM

32 posts, read 93,404 times

Advertisements

Good day everyone. My wife and I recently bought a home in El Dorado Hills off of Latrobe Road and White Rock Road. We had noticed a car parked on the street with flat tires, full of dirt and cobwebs before but figured we could just talk to the neighbors about it. Today our realtor stopped by the house to talk to the neighbors for us and mentioned that there was another car in the driveway in bad shape. Both cars have not been registered in about 5 years. He also mentioned that the furniture inside the home seemed covered with sheets and the rear lawn is dry, long and dead. Our realtor did mention that the house was not in foreclosure or pre-foreclosure and that the payments were up-to-date. He also mentioned that there were a ton of spider webs and dirt all around the house from what he could see.

We paid a pretty penny for this home. Our home along with 5 other homes are on a private street. No HOAs but we do have CC&Rs that we pay. We talked to the CSD and they told us to talk to the neighbors our selves since it is a private street and they can't do much.

I want to ask others what course of action do we have in this scenario? I simply want to be able to enjoy my new home without all of these issues. If there is any more information needed to help my wife and I in this matter, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 12:28 AM

95 posts, read 171,118 times
There probably isn't much you can do about the house. The dead grass could be considered a fire violation, the code enforcement might be able to address that. The car on the street can probably be towed if you file a complaint with the local CHP office. They will put a yellow tag on it, then tow it after 5 days. The county might have a complaint form you can fill out. They will send out a code enforcement officer to see if there are any violations. Some counties enforce this strictly, others do not. If you go this route, don't say anything to anyone in your neighborhood. It can bring a lot of anger from some people.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:26 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
If you have to pay for CC&Rs, who do you pay? It almost sounds like an HOA. That's who you should ask for help. Ditto on the above advise to all the fire department if the grass is high near the house. I think 4" is the limit and you have to have "defensible space" around all houses. You might run into the same issue with CHP as with CSD if it's a private road.

I wonder if you can get the name address of where the tax bill is sent and send them a letter?

Old 10-27-2013, 01:35 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,154,836 times
That's why you live in a neighborhood with an HOA with stiffer rules if the enjoyment of your property is contingent upon the condition of someone else's windows. Being on a private road I can't see there's anything you can do about the car. CHP doesn't tow cars from private property.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:39 AM

Well, I will keep at it as there has got to be something I can do about this. I don't understand how El Dorado Hills can allow this. We are also owners of the road and as such we have rights just like everyone else.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:39 PM

762 posts, read 2,031,272 times
Call in a for a welfare check... Maybe someone "expired" inside. Boo.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:24 PM

534 posts, read 1,533,495 times
Good luck with Code Enforcement, last I heard there is one lone enforcement officer for the entire county. But give it a try...

Old 11-10-2013, 07:37 AM

Just an update on this thread. We contacted the Code Enforcement and they went out the very next day. They tagged the car and contacted the owners. It turns out that the owner seems to have passed away. The family has not done anything with the car but mentioned they would have it taken care of in 2 weeks.

Looking forward to having the car moved and at a later time the house sold to someone that is willing to take care of it.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
Glad this worked out for you so far, I hope the family takes care of business. Good luck.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:06 PM

85 posts, read 432,827 times
Thanks so much for the follow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento