Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 03:09 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,655,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Whichever route is chosen, weather can be a big factor in the winter. If 5 or 99, the mountains going west from Reno on 80 or 50 can be snowy or icy. Not mentioned yet is the killer winter fogs that envelop the Valley each year. Seems like every year there is a horrible crash on 5 or 99 that involves up to as many as a hundred vehicles. On 395 there is, of course, the threat of snow. Were I to make this trip, would check the forecast for snow, and if clear, would choose 395. Not that remote or isolated, several small towns along the way to gas up or eat, or to take a break. As a bonus, there is the magnificent scenery of the Eastern High Sierras along the way, not the utter drabness of 5 or 99. Second choice would be 99, last 5.
Yeah, but as long as you're making the trip contingent on checking the weather forecasts carefully, it's probably easier to avoid the fog (which really isn't that heavy that often) than to avoid snow or icy condition along 395. I'd personally take 395 if the weather report was unequivocally good--because you're right, it's far more interesting and lovely--and I knew the roads wouldn't be icy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 06:42 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,992,564 times
Ah okay thanks guys. Now know not to take the 395 this winter! It's just really interesting to me the difference of opinions I've gotten from coworkers. Most say just to take the 80 into the 5, but then a couple bus drivers I met said this time of the year to take the 99.

I'm still stuck on taking the 5 or the 99!!

Old 12-12-2013, 10:36 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,805,615 times
99 has some kitschy fruit and nut stands, and the Forestiere Gardens in Fresno are an interesting visit.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:42 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,854,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
About the only thing even remotely interesting might be Bravo Farms, which is in Traver about 15 min north of Visalia (Hwy 198 Jct). It's kind of a neat place with all sorts of locally produced cheeses, candies, assorted fruits, nuts, gifts, etc. The BBQ tri-tip sandwiches ARE pretty good though.

Since it appears that you will be heading southbound, you really have to watch out for the signage leading to it. It's on the east side of the highway and it's very easy to blow right past it if you aren't paying attention. It's about ten minutes south of Kingsburg. You will have to exit the freeway, cross over it, and make a right turn. Because of how it and the adjacent roads are laid out, access to it and getting back to the freeway is much more difficult going southbound than north.
I completely agree with Bravo Farms! Fantastic, a local favorite for years (I grew up in Visalia) and was just there. Yum! The burgers are awesome! The packaged cheese is delicious. Going northbound from Visalia, it is the first exit past Goshen. The southbound directions are correct. It is really easy to miss especially if you are passing trucks in the right lane. There are plenty of big signs to remind you it's near.

The one thing I would caution you about, there is construction at various intervals from Lodi through Visalia with speed limits, narrowed & curving roads, so plan accordingly. It's not pleasant driving in these areas at night...or anytime, really. The other thing about 99, on the 4 lane portions (2 lanes each direction), very few people drive in the right (slow lane). So, if you go the speed limit or above, know that you will be weaving in & out of traffic.

I always stop at Starbucks - clean bathrooms, and decent coffee. Other potential good break points is the Cosumnes River Preserve. Great for dog walking. http://www.cosumnes.org/about-the-preserve/
I like Ikeda's in Auburn too, plus they have a really cute little downtown to stroll. http://restaurant-bakery-auburn-ca.c...-food-produce/
Buck Owen's Crystal Palace in Bakersfield http://www.buckowens.com/food.html

Here's a list of things to do some of which I was going to mention:
http://www.viamagazine.com/attractio...de-attractions
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/08/439...a-weirdly.html

Last edited by caligirlz; 12-13-2013 at 03:02 AM..

Old 12-14-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
99 has some kitschy fruit and nut stands, and the Forestiere Gardens in Fresno are an interesting visit.
possibly a dumb question, but are these stands open during december?

Old 12-14-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I completely agree with Bravo Farms! Fantastic, a local favorite for years (I grew up in Visalia) and was just there. Yum! The burgers are awesome! The packaged cheese is delicious. Going northbound from Visalia, it is the first exit past Goshen. The southbound directions are correct. It is really easy to miss especially if you are passing trucks in the right lane. There are plenty of big signs to remind you it's near.

The one thing I would caution you about, there is construction at various intervals from Lodi through Visalia with speed limits, narrowed & curving roads, so plan accordingly. It's not pleasant driving in these areas at night...or anytime, really. The other thing about 99, on the 4 lane portions (2 lanes each direction), very few people drive in the right (slow lane). So, if you go the speed limit or above, know that you will be weaving in & out of traffic.

I always stop at Starbucks - clean bathrooms, and decent coffee. Other potential good break points is the Cosumnes River Preserve. Great for dog walking. About the Cosumnes River Preserve | Cosumnes River Preserve
I like Ikeda's in Auburn too, plus they have a really cute little downtown to stroll. Gourmet Food, Produce and Gift Baskets in Auburn CA
Buck Owen's Crystal Palace in Bakersfield Buck Owen's Crystal Palace: Food

Here's a list of things to do some of which I was going to mention:
Highway 99: Roadside Attractions | VIA Magazine
Take Highway 99 for a weirdly wonderful drive south - Travel - The Sacramento Bee
Thanks for the help especially with the dog walking place! Are the rest of those places dog friendly? My dog is cool hanging out in the car for 15 minutes but I don't want to do anything beyond that. He's my son Petey!!

Old 12-14-2013, 01:30 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,805,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
possibly a dumb question, but are these stands open during december?
Yah, the oranges are harvested now. Other fruits will not be so plentiful.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:43 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,339,167 times
Actually the worst part about the 99 is the two lane section (from south of Kingsburg to the Kern County line in Delano, a distance of about 45 miles) and the truckers. They are notorious for "lane jumping" through that stretch so that one truck doing 57 mph can pass the one that's driving at 56.

You think I'm exaggerating. It goes on constantly through there. And the worst part is when the last truck in a convoy of ten decides he wants to move to the front of the line. You will be behind that truck for MILES with nowhere to go. This is exactly and precisely why there are often traffic jams on that otherwise mostly rural section of highway during off peak travel times: it's the truckers.

I'm pretty sure they do it on purpose. When you are on the road that much, you get bored and have to amuse yourself somehow. And for truckers, looking for ways to annoy four wheelers is what they do best. If you don't believe me, pay attention to how abruptly they cut in front of you but how slowly they ease back in front of the truck they just passed.

Just be forewarned.

That section is slated to be eventually upgraded to three lanes in each direction. But that is still years away and Caltrans is doing it piecemeal.

Last edited by Des-Lab; 12-14-2013 at 01:54 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 02:11 PM

How can I make this a poll?!

Old 12-14-2013, 05:06 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,854,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
Thanks for the help especially with the dog walking place! Are the rest of those places dog friendly? My dog is cool hanging out in the car for 15 minutes but I don't want to do anything beyond that. He's my son Petey!!
I don't know. You can do an online search for "dog friendly" places in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento