Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 06:55 PM

18 posts, read 41,522 times

Advertisements

New to the forums. I am only a teenager, but I just CANNOT stand it in California anymore. 1 season(summer), extreme liberalism, unemployment higher than in ALL 49 OTHER STATES COMBINED(!!!), declining home prices, increasing crime/gang activity, illegal immigration on the rise the NATION'S WORST(BY UNIMAGINABLY FAR!) TRAFFIC, and worst of all, TAXES!!! And on top of all that, I'm in the armpit of CA, the godawful, unimaginably boring Central Valley. Oh, and BTW, I am not looking to leave right now, but hopefully one day! And I almost forgot, yes, CA's economy is on the rise, but we, sadly are pretty much beyond repair. UGH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times
Move to Alabama.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:28 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateCA View Post
unemployment higher than in ALL 49 OTHER STATES COMBINED(!!!)
Huh?

There are currently 1.5 million unemployed in California, and another 8.9 million unemployed in the other 49 states combined.

Last edited by pch1013; 04-23-2014 at 07:37 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 07:38 PM

18 posts, read 41,522 times
I shouldn't go THAT far, but it is very, very high. I am sure if you were to put, say, 10 states together, CA would beat them all, sadly. I remember this place being better than it was, sadly.

Last edited by IhateCA; 04-23-2014 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Clearness

Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
I shouldn't go THAT far, but it is very, very high. I am sure if you were to put, say, 10 states together, CA would beat them all, sadly. I remember this place being better than it was, sadly.
I first moved to California in 1993, and I don't think it's really changed all that much.

The Central Valley has always been "boring," if by "boring" you mean non-coastal and rather flat.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:29 PM

778 posts, read 823,914 times
Sacramento has seasons. Places that aren't Sacramento have more seasonal variation, though.

California's not as liberal as it could be. 2012 Election Results Map by State - Live Voting Updates - POLITICO.com
Heck, according to this list we don't even make the top ten: The 10 Most Liberal States In The U.S. - Business Insider
If you don't want to click it's 1. Washington, D.C. (admittedly not a state), 2. Massachusetts, 3. Oregon, 4. Vermont, 5. Delaware (tie), 5. Connecticut (tie), 7. Washington (tie), 7. Rhode Island (tie), 9. New York (tie), 9. Hawaii (tie).

Unemployment rate for CA overall is currently 8.1%, which is very high. However there are three states that are higher. Unemployment Rates for States

Home prices have been and continue to increase: Southern California median home price jumped to $400,000 in March - latimes.com

Property crime in CA is on a slight increase, but (as of 2012) is still down from its previous lowest level back in 1999. Violent crime continues to decrease. Crime Data | State of California - Department of Justice - Kamala D. Harris Attorney General

The number of illegal immigrants in California actually seems to have stabilized: Undocumented Immigrants (PPIC Publication)

Traffic is pretty bad, especially in major metro areas. That's true of any metro area, or anywhere with a high population density that relies on cars. Sorry.

California is not in the top five highest combined local-state tax rates. Word of advice, don't move to Tennessee. State and Local Sales Tax Rates in 2014 | Tax Foundation

And finally, I'd love to see what makes you think the state's beyond repair.

You're welcome to dislike California. Just be sure you're disliking it for valid reasons.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:44 PM

762 posts, read 2,031,272 times
what kind of weather are you seeking? how bout utah, idaho, texas, or hawaii?

Old 04-24-2014, 09:05 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,961 times
Quote:
New to the forums. I am only a teenager, but I just CANNOT stand it in California anymore. 1 season(summer), extreme liberalism, unemployment higher than in ALL 49 OTHER STATES COMBINED(!!!), declining home prices, increasing crime/gang activity, illegal immigration on the rise the NATION'S WORST(BY UNIMAGINABLY FAR!) TRAFFIC, and worst of all, TAXES!!! And on top of all that, I'm in the armpit of CA, the godawful, unimaginably boring Central Valley. Oh, and BTW, I am not looking to leave right now, but hopefully one day! And I almost forgot, yes, CA's economy is on the rise, but we, sadly are pretty much beyond repair. UGH!!!
And mind you, the Central Valley and all parts eastward *are* the relatively conservative/patriotic/not communist and relatively affordable parts of the state. It is a Cold War irony that the Soviets were defeated abroad, yet a 5th column seems to have taken over here. Maybe you and I can help to change that, but as you said, the Barbara Boxer Bolsheviks are importing an illegal alien lumpenproletariat to serve them.

I have managed to secure a job that isn't moving and some real estate investments (which are rebounding as the Obamunists are reigniting stagflation) and I will probably work those until I retire, but for a young person like you? Yah, I understand the desire to bail out.

However, the important question is--where? Don't go chasing rainbows, as the song lyric goes. If all your family ties are still here and no great opportunity--career or personal relationship--is beckoning, think carefully before you "light out for the territory".

Old 04-24-2014, 09:10 AM

154 posts, read 691,810 times
Oh, please. Just go. You are a teenager, with a lot yet to learn. Get started.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:28 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
California is not in the top five highest combined local-state tax rates. Word of advice, don't move to Tennessee. State and Local Sales Tax Rates in 2014 | Tax Foundation
Sales tax rates. TN *does not have a state Income tax* whatsoever. The state does, however, levy a tax on interest and dividend income over $1,250 per person, but few if any people in TN have that amount of bank interest or dividend only income. (Not capital gains, and no, muni bonds don't count either). This is known as the Hall Tax. But you would need so many tens of thousands of dollars in the bank to earn enough interest to even worry about paying it.

States like TX have substantially higher property tax, but no income and minimal sales tax.

States like OR have a slightly higher income tax, but no sales tax.

States like WA have no income tax, but high sales tax and quite a few fees of one sort or another.

However, In terms of aggregate tax levels--income, sales, property, and various fees--California is right up at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
And finally, I'd love to see what makes you think the state's beyond repair.
Partly it is the dodgy tax accounting by all too many politicians here, into which you seem to be buying.

But even more than that, it is the inability to deal with reality.

California has a ridiculous "high speed" (sic) choo-choo program going forward, a massive toy for some "planners" and lefty politicians, which in the end will be slower than flying the same distance, at a time when so many of California's roads need repairs and improvements, and local commuter transit goes begging.

California has had, for more than a decade, an embryonic/foetal "stem cell" research program, which has been the 21st century version of Snake Oil (never mind the moral questions, it simply has proven fruitless), at a time when local hospitals are overwhelmed, more often than not by indigent illegal aliens, courted by the same lefty politicians pushing the Snake Oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento