Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:54 AM
L0L L0L started this thread

13 posts, read 11,236 times

Advertisements

I will be re-locating this Autumn to SAC from NYC.

I'm a youthful 40-something

What area would you recommend, that would best suit a NY'er to live apartment style only?

I'm into art, museums, galleries, sculptures, farmers markets, food co-ops, flea markets, thrift shops, consignment shops, wine tastings, fashion, history, culture, fine dining (seafood is my favorite), happy hours, live music, swimming, bowling, archery, badminton, croquet, and hip lounges, clubs.

And feel free to give me any suggestions for the above ^^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 02:12 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,287,780 times
Except for the part between "bowling" and "croquet" you will find all of the above in Midtown, although at a scale, speed and pace that is far, far slower than you're used to in New York. But add bike riding, superb coffee, and adult intramural kickball leagues to make up for it.You'll also pay about one-third the rent, or get three times the space. Midtown is, generally, the part of the central city "grid" between Capitol Park at 15th Street and Business 80, although Southside Park (south of R Street and west of Midtown) has its own charms, like the just-reopened Verge Gallery. There are also very nice neighborhoods on the perimeter on the other side of Highway 50, Business 80 and the Sacramento River, which have some very nice things to visit too (including a bowling alley in West Sacramento and some whompin' good Mexican, Vietnamese and Chinese eats) but sometimes Midtown induces the same sort of "bridge and tunnel people" mentality as Manhattan does, albeit, as I said, to a much milder, mellower, and slower-paced extent. The other nice thing about Midtown is that you're within easy biking distance of all of these nice neighborhoods.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:27 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,573,271 times
Midtown is your only option. Seems real small at first glance. Once you live there you will discover it's hidden treasures though. Over 20 art galleries, several performing arts venues, etc. A lot of cool stuff exists in midtown that you will only find after living there awhile and exploring.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:37 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
A California native, I lived in Sacramento from 1990 until late 2009 and my parents were both born and raised in New York so I spent a fair amount of time visiting relatives there. I concur with Midtown. It may be small as sacite pointed out but it's surprisingly interesting, diverse and vibrant. Enjoy the experience and don't bother packing your snow shovel

Old 06-08-2014, 11:13 PM

256 posts, read 367,656 times
And practice smiling and saying good morning to strangers ... this city combines Midwestern friendliness with good old fashioned California oversharing. Our public transport completely sucks, though.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeney View Post
And practice smiling and saying good morning to strangers ... this city combines Midwestern friendliness with good old fashioned California oversharing. Our public transport completely sucks, though.
Lol I agree on the vibe of the city. I've often tried to describe this but never have been able to as well as you just did. In the last 2 days I swear several different people walked with me and told me ultra personal details out of the blue. One man thanked me for listening though and said it relieved some stress. Made me feel good to help. I really like how aporoachable people are here. Every other major metro seems so unfriendly now by comparison.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:30 AM

379 posts, read 786,016 times
You should enjoy Midtown. I'm an urban dweller who lived in the Sac area for a couple of years, and Midtown was the only place in Sacramento that passed my "urban sniff test." It's obviously much slower paced than you'll be used to in NYC, but it's walkable, has good restaurants and nightlife, and an urban vibe. If you're going to be working downtown you can bike to work. Like others have said, prices are extremely reasonable in Sac, and you can use that money you've saved to pick up a car since you'll want it to leave Midtown and Downtown. :-)

Old 06-10-2014, 01:35 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,287,780 times
Or you can just get a Zipcar membership, assuming the possibility that your Sacramento job doesn't have a New York City salary, and use a car when you want it.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:47 AM
L0L L0L started this thread

13 posts, read 11,236 times
Thank you, all for the valuable information.

I noticed a town on my search for apts called ARDEN, anyone have info on this area. I noticed it has a nice mall with a apple shop and some other high end shops as well and the rents are reasonable.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0L View Post
Thank you, all for the valuable information.

I noticed a town on my search for apts called ARDEN, anyone have info on this area. I noticed it has a nice mall with a apple shop and some other high end shops as well and the rents are reasonable.
Arden is actually an area of Sac rather than a separate incorporated city. It is a congested area full of stripmalls, and it has somewhat of a low income feel to it. Due to both factors, the Arden Fair Mall is not one that I go to. I would rate its walkability factor very low as well. Not the place that I would choose using your criteria. The upside is that it is cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento