Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:57 PM

6 posts, read 5,939 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'll be moving to the Sacramento area this July as I accepted a job a Sac State. I will only be driving to campus 2-3x/week and not during rush hour. Thankfully. I love the outdoors and bike a lot and have a dog that loves to swim. I spent a week looking around the area at rentals a few weeks ago, but it seems like it was a bit too early to sign a lease as many places haven't opened up for mid to end of July yet. I absolutely loved Folsom and El Dorado Hills, and I'd be open to Rocklin/Roseville as well. I'd just like to be close to the lake if at all possible. Ideally, I'd love a rental home of 2-3 bedrooms with a yard for 1-2 years (maybe 3) as I plan to buy after that. I looked at apartments as a "just in case" and liked Overlook in Folsom and Lake Point (I think that was it) in EDH, both because I could have a little yard on a ground floor apartment. I'd rather steer clear of an apt though since I'm in my 40's and like my privacy and a quiet place to live. Does anyone know of any places in the area coming available? I'm as quiet as a church mouse and a university professor if that helps any. I'd be interested in rental companies as well if anyone knows of any in the area. Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 11:11 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,291,625 times
You might look at places closer to campus, like River Park, East Sacramento or Campus Commons. The school is in your front yard, and the American River (with its bike trail, which is all wild from Folsom to Sacramento) in your backyard, but you can drive (or bike) up to the lake or into the hills very easily.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'm just a bit leery of living close to campus because most campuses tend to have students in housing nearby. It's not that I have anything to hide, but I like complete separation between work and my personal life. I will certainly look into your suggestions though. Much appreciated.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:16 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,848,983 times
What is your budget?

I don't think Folsom/EDH is unreasonable if you don't mind the drive. Of course, this would mean that you would be driving during peak commute times. You could alway drive to the light rail station in Folsom, and take it down to the college.

I used to live in East Sac. Most students can't afford to live there except in the student designated areas, so you could look at some of the other rentals. house for rent sacramento ca california rental home property for rent rental property 95819 is a good site. Check the Elmhurst neighborhood near UCDMC. Check 4100 Folsom Blvd, a beautiful gated condo complex. They usually have a few rental listed on sacrentals. Check the duplexes on American River Drive/ University or the Sierra Oaks neighborhood. You may even want to check the newer Pavillons condo complex off Fair Oaks Blvd.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:44 AM

Thanks, Cali! I actually have afternoon and evening classes only and will be keeping it that way as I prefer those times and they are the least desirable to many faculty. My budget greatly depends on what's paid for, such as water/sewer/trash, but I would prefer to stay under $1600/month. I'll check those areas you mentioned. I really liked Greenhaven/Pocket as well and I'm also seeing some nice bungalows in Midtown online too. I just really loved Folsom/EDH and the outdoorsy vibe there. Thanks so much again.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:42 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,291,625 times
CSUS is primarily a commuter campus surrounded by ownership-heavy residential neighborhoods. Especially in River Park, there are not a lot of students but a lot of faculty. Greenhaven/Pocket are kind of distant from campus for commuting purposes, and while they're close to the Sacramento River, there isn't a river trail. Midtown is very nice indeed, but if you're trying to avoid living near a lot of students, there are probably more students in Midtown than East Sacramento and the neighborhoods right around CSUS--Midtown is mostly rental housing and apartments.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:05 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,003,728 times
With your budget, the better bet is folsom. It's hard to find a house to rent in edh for $1600. The Lake Forest Apartments are nice however. While they are not new, I know a number of people that live over there. They have very much enjoyed living in that complex.

However, I have to agree with some of the other people on this forum that said you might be better off living closer to where you work.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
CSUS is primarily a commuter campus surrounded by ownership-heavy residential neighborhoods. Especially in River Park, there are not a lot of students but a lot of faculty. Greenhaven/Pocket are kind of distant from campus for commuting purposes, and while they're close to the Sacramento River, there isn't a river trail. Midtown is very nice indeed, but if you're trying to avoid living near a lot of students, there are probably more students in Midtown than East Sacramento and the neighborhoods right around CSUS--Midtown is mostly rental housing and apartments.
Thanks! Very helpful info.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
With your budget, the better bet is folsom. It's hard to find a house to rent in edh for $1600. The Lake Forest Apartments are nice however. While they are not new, I know a number of people that live over there. They have very much enjoyed living in that complex.

However, I have to agree with some of the other people on this forum that said you might be better off living closer to where you work.

Thanks, Nina. I appreciate it. That apt complex is at the top of my list, but they don't currently have any available units on the ground floor. I guess it's still a bit early to look for a mid-July move in, but I tell challenging not knowing where I'll land. A 30 min commute 2x/week doesn't bother me in the least, especially since it won't be during heavy commute traffic. But, I will start looking closer and perhaps something will pop up. Thanks so much.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:29 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,654,121 times
Folsom is nice and definitely meets your criteria, but I'd second wburg's advice of looking in the neighborhoods near campus and save the traffic-heavy commute. There are a couple pockets with some apartment complexes with a lot of students, but most of the housing doesn't have too many. River Park just north of campus, East Sac just to the west, and Campus Commons and Sierra Oaks to the east. As wburg said, Midtown is also pretty close and might give you a bigger diversity of housing options, but might be a little too dense for you.

Whatever you decide, be sure to factor in transportation costs to your budget. Living within biking distance of campus would save a few hundred a month, allowing you to spend a little more on renting a place you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento