Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 10:36 PM

306 posts, read 701,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeney View Post
No, muffincake, Sacramento isn't "the best I can do." It's a good fit for me because the things I like to do -- gardening, primarily, and other outdoorsy stuff that requires nice weather -- is easy to do here, but I've been happy in the other places I've lived, as well, which included a town of 1,800 people and a city of over 3 million people. If I were not happy (if I truly hated the weather, for one, which is not something you can fix by griping about it on a message board), I would move. You knew you were going to hate it here before you ever moved, and you do hate it, and I'm sorry for that. You seem very hard to please and I wish you the best of luck in finding a way to move back to Chicago.
I've lived in a lot of places not in my posting history that I liked. Believe it or not, I haven't used City Data for every move I've made. Sacramento is the worst place I've lived in. Sorry it offends you so deeply, but please get a life -- I am allowed to post here and say I don't like the weather. You can separately post about how you love the weather. I never started talking to you. The only person I spoke to was OP who asked a question seeking other perspectives and I offered one. You were the one commenting on my personal opinion specifically. I don't care about your affinity for this crappy city but you seem to have a problem with the fact that I don't like it. I recommend you get over it and leave me alone. I am already in the process of moving, but I can post wherever I want. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 12:04 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,846,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't get the whining about Sacramento's hot summer weather. It's really not that bad compared to most places in the U.S. No, it's not coastal CA, but nowhere else in the US is like coastal CA in summer.
Agreed. It's not nearly as bad as other parts of California, such as the central san joaquin valley (I'd say Modesto to Bakersfield). I personally don't like the triple digits, but thankfully it doesn't last for as many days as in other parts of the state. It was bad, I don't recall the exact year, but it was between 2006-2010 when we had triple digits for 3 weeks straight. That was nasty.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:06 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,846,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
Absolutely. I have an awesome coat and haven't been able to wear at all in Sacramento. I'd much rather take a couple months of cold weather over 9 months of oppressively hot weather. But that's just me.
I've lived here since 2005. I had to get rid of all my super warm clothing & coats because the winters are fairly mild here in comparison to other parts of California.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:53 AM

528 posts, read 867,502 times
Sacramento weather or the weather in the area is such a tease. It gets hotter than Florida can yet in the winter can get so cold you think you'll need your warm coats and then you find you really don't outside of a few nights of the winter maybe. When I first got here, Sacramento got as low as 20-30 degrees. I think at times it was even colder than the Northeast. This yr so far no but we haven't even hit January. Its a tease also because theres very little snow unless you go into the Sierras. Its a limbo between the hot sweltering places and cold northern states only with no snow. Sac is also a limbo stacked up to other cities with more personality as well. If you want to be average and mediocre, come to Sacramento.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:31 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,287,780 times
I'm pretty sure it will be next year before we hit January.

Sacramento ordinarily doesn't get any snow, maybe a light sprinkling every couple of decades, and we are in a serious drought, probably worse than any in recorded history. In northern California, "going to the snow" traditionally meant going to the Sierras. The nice thing is, you don't have to shovel sunshine off your driveway!

Old 11-06-2014, 09:07 PM

527 posts, read 1,324,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The nice thing is, you don't have to shovel sunshine off your driveway!
Sounds like a good tagline for sac.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:06 PM

38 posts, read 61,268 times
Quote:
You just answered your own question. You've lived in Sacramento for 25 years. You have no ideas about the amenities and quality of living other areas offer. I've lived all over the country and Sacramento may very well be the worst place I have lived in. The weather is unbearable, it offers very little by the way of convenience or amenities and yet the cost of living is rather high. If Sacramento is all you know, then I'm sure there's enough to do here for you, but certainly almost every other city I've lived in has more to see/do, better food to eat, more convenience/hassle-free living, cleaner/nicer communities and more varied weather. That's great that you love it. People should love their home. But Sacramento has no place being on a "top cities to live" list.
That's a fair assessment. Not having lived in other areas for very long, I don't have something else to compare to Sacramento. I just genuinely feel Sacramento has so much to offer that it would be included in the "Best Places to Live" lists.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
We get onto plenty of those lists, and most of them are pretty much randomly-generated clickbait. I think they have two hats, one filled with city names and the other with adjectives, pull one adjective and 20 city names, spend a few minutes Googling stats to justify the list and picking out images, and voila, America's Zestiest Cities!

Here are a few lists where we make the cut:

No. 14: Sacramento, Calif. - In Photos: America's Coolest Cities 2014 - Forbes

Vocativ: Best Cities For People Under 35 - Business Insider

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The 20 Best Cities for 20-Somethings: 2012 Edition

13 Best U.S. Cities for Mermaids to Live | Estately Blog

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Sacramento among the 10 best cities for 'coffee snobs'

The 10 Best Cities to be Single in California

Sacramento Tops List of Best Places to Raise a Family | NewsRadio KFBK

Best Cities to Live, Work and Play-Kiplinger

Sunniest Places and Countries in the World - Current Results

Boomtowns '06: Hottest Large Cities, Starting a Business Article | Inc.com

Sacramento Makes List for Top Paid Registered Nurses
Thanks for all those links! I like to see Sacramento getting some recognition. I suppose I was mainly focusing on those titled "Best Places to Live" in the US.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't get the whining about Sacramento's hot summer weather. It's really not that bad compared to most places in the U.S. No, it's not coastal CA, but nowhere else in the US is like coastal CA in summer.
Agreed!

Old 11-08-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Not to mention, it only recently started getting cooler. Even into October it was still incredibly hot here. Even a cloud once in a while would be nice.
It's the drought. It didn't use to be like this. I remember September being much cooler and October being much, MUCH cooler than it is now. I grew up walking to school, so I can remember pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento