Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 11:44 AM

13 posts, read 57,458 times

Advertisements

Any ideas on finding a rental that allows pitbulls?

I've been searching a few sites for a bit to find a short term housing option that allows a pitbull. CA seems to have some strict laws regarding dog bites and I think that tends to make landlords less willing to rent to tenants with certain breeds.

So far I've been combing Craigslist, Zillow, Hotpads, Sublet.com, and the list of properties recommended by Chako's Pitbull Rescue without much luck.

After reading an older thread with a similar issue I decided to just start driving around, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking in the Natomas, Midtown, and West Sac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 11:58 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Read this (no personal connection). If you had this in hand, it might help you rent a place:

Trouble Finding A Place To Rent Because Of Your Dog or Pit Bull?

Old 02-13-2015, 12:22 PM

37 posts, read 74,801 times
Default Save a life, adopt a pitbull

I feel your pain. Unfortunately I think California is starting to go the direction Denver went (not allowing pitbulls in the city at all.)

I think the advice above is good advice...try to make your dog stand out as a people-loving dog with a pedigree.

I think it's laughable how stupid people are (governments.) It's not the dog, it's the owners. For one, I think all dog breeding should be regulated at a minimum (though I'm generally against more regulation,) and at the other end perhaps banned in some areas. There are way too many dogs anyway and many are put down.

It's really sad that governments are going this route. If people can't have pitbulls they will pick another large muscular dog....maybe in 20 years it will be German Shepherds that are banned. Ironically, the pitbull was America's family dog not too long ago (remember the Little Rascals' dog Pete?)

Here's a great article on the media's transformation of the American family dog into a villain: Pit Bulls: From America’s Dog to Public Enemy #1 | DCentric

Old 02-13-2015, 12:39 PM

13 posts, read 57,458 times
Yeah we planned to have renter's insurance or some type of liability insurance specifically for the pitbull. Maybe you're right to have the insurance in hand and see how a landlord would feel about that. I get the impression that I may be better off with a private landlord than a management company.

The changing sentiments in CA is pretty unfortunate. I've had a pitbull since I was 4... never had a problem. They are protective, but loyal and loving.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:02 PM

37 posts, read 74,801 times
Default follow-up

Since posting a few minutes ago I've been reading about pitbulls on the web. I was unaware of this, but good news: apparently there is a trend now in many areas to overturn breed specific legislation. Many claim it has been unsuccessful.

Read more here: U.S. communities increasingly ditching pit bull bans

And here: Breed-Specific Legislation » Love-A-Bull, Inc. | Austin, TX

A great website on pitbulls: Breed History | BAD RAP

And with regard to renting in midtown, I don't think having a pitbull is the problem. From what I've seen midtown is just anti-dog. I've been looking for a place for about 3 months now and very few allow dogs.

With regard to private owner vs. management company, often the mgmt. co. is just respecting what the owner of a specific property wants; the mgmt. co. doesn't really care either way. And just because a listing doesn't list dogs as being allowed doesn't mean much. My last three rentals all had listings that didn't specify if dogs were allowed. Once i spoke with the owner or manager, I found out that they were ok with dogs based upon the strength of my application.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:46 PM

119 posts, read 285,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbee View Post
The changing sentiments in CA is pretty unfortunate. I've had a pitbull since I was 4... never had a problem. They are protective, but loyal and loving.
Unfortunately, your logic is faulty. Your argument is that CA should allow pitfalls because you've never had a problem. But many many other people have.

The center for infectious disease released a 20 year study showing that 67% of all dog bite fatalities were caused by Pitulls (see http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...s-cdc-2000.php)

Heck even the US Army bans them from their bases! see http://www.scribd.com/doc/13296614/U...ll-RCI-Housing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento