Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 AM

5 posts, read 10,962 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a single mom with a child with autism (9 yr old). We currently live in a tiny town in upstate NY.

Buying or Renting (Both)
Budget: 400k to 450k buy/ $1500-1800 to Rent
Employment: undecided in healthcare
School: Near Special Kids school/ public school with good special kids program.
Pets: None
Suburban preferred but Urban is fine as long as it's in safe area.
Public Transport: would be nice but okay without it.

reason for Moving:
1) Most importantly for my child's better education.
2) Weather, anything is better than Neg 35!
3) I don't have much savings now, Q: how easy is it to buy a house with only 10% down?
4) My colleague lost her brother (he was shot in sacramento) and scares me that Sac is full of horrible gangsters. and some of the postings here do scare me, but as long as I don't go near those dangerous areas, I should be fine?
5) Overall better quality of life for my child and myself as well, esp with food with more diverse options and fresher veggie/fruits AND having many places to explore within driving distance.

-------------

I'm looking for a home:
1) Around $400-450k, at least 1500 sq ft (even 2000 sq ft will be nice as my parents will be moving in few years but I know that's too big for my budget)
At least with big storage or a finished (or can be finished) basement would be awesome.
2) in a very safe neighborhood where I can take a walk or go for a bike ride with my child without worrying about our safety. This is a must!
3) Relatively close to the school for special needs kids. school bus ride is fine as long as the ride isn't more than 40 min. The followings are the school she may attend.

Anyone has kids in any of the following schools?

Kendall Center
2775 Cottage Way, Sac/ 7801 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove

Applie Behav Consul
4540 Harline Dr., Sac

Capitol Autistm Services
1901 Royal Oaks Dr. Sac

Land park Academy
2751 Wilmington ave. Sac

4) I'd love to have a community pool for my daughter or a nearby gym that has a steam sauna (my mom's fav.) and pool. but this is Not a must.

5) I'm an Asian and it'd be nice to stay in short driving distance (20min.+/-) to Asian restaurants/ markets.

Thank you all for everyone who reads my (long sorry!) posting!

I'd be really appreciated if you could leave your 2 cents (worth a million to me!).

Have a wonderful day~~~ ^_^

Last edited by 4BetterLife; 02-24-2015 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 10:16 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Very few houses with basements in California unless the house is really old, pre-WWII if then even, and older houses aren't up to modern earthquake codes. People use their garage for storage, laundry, hot water tank.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Very few houses with basements in California unless the house is really old, pre-WWII if then even, and older houses aren't up to modern earthquake codes. People use their garage for storage, laundry, hot water tank.

Basement was just one of those things I thought it'd be nice to have for more spaces since I can't afford bigger house. Thank you for the reply, NightlySparrow!

Old 02-24-2015, 02:36 PM

8 posts, read 16,422 times
Let me start by saying that Sacramento is very mixed, and there are some rough neighborhoods, and some really great neighborhoods. I think for your budget you can find somewhere that meets most of your needs. I am not as familiar with the special kids programs or the schools that offer them, but I do know the overall area quite well.

Moderator cut: see note

Here is a crime statistic mapper of the area. It doesnt include the minor petty crime though. It's a good starting point. As for your colleague that lost a brother, I'm very sorry to hear that. I'm guessing that was probably in one of the less desirable areas of Sacramento. Just stay away from those areas and you'll be fine.

See the safest neighborhoods in the city of Sacramento | The Sacramento Bee The Sacramento Bee

I think you may be able to find most of what you're looking for in Land Park, Curtis Park, or Hollywood Park. That will be close to the Land Park Academy. Your housing budget should be just fine since there are homes from low $300k's there. However, many are smaller, so you may have to look for something that is closer to 1,400-1,600 sqft. They are great areas for walking/biking, and there are some wonderful parks and farmers markets. They aren't too far from Asian markets/restaurants either.

Pocket area could also be a good option for you as well. Asian markets, great schools, and the home size/price is within your criteria. I have a few clients there and they love it.

Kendall Center and Capitol Autism Services are about 10-20 min from some nicer neighborhoods if you're ok with the drive? The specific area of the schools arent quite as great, but they have great rankings, and are close to nice neighborhoods.

Depending where you end up in the healthcare industry, Roseville and Folsom could also be good options. They're safe, good schools (not sure about for special kids), and they're a little more suburban. They're both about a 30-60 min commute from downtown Sacramento depending on traffic.

Good luck to you and your child! It's a great area overall and I think you'll be happy here! Let me know if you have other questions as you get further into your relocation.

Last edited by Count David; 03-02-2015 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: recommendations like this not allowed in thread/reads as advertising

Old 02-25-2015, 10:04 AM

Dear BrokerBacon,

Wow! YOu just answered many things I needed and wanted to hear!
Thank you so much for taking your time and effort for such a nice, thorough reply!
Very appreciated ^_____^

Researching for where to stay has gotten much more focused/ easier due to your posting.
Thanks again, you just made my day ^_^!

Last edited by 4BetterLife; 02-25-2015 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: sorry, I'm new to this forum, & made a mistake of posting same thing twice.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:03 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,838,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4BetterLife View Post
I'm a single mom with a child with autism (9 yr old).
Be sure to check out the UCDavis Mind Institute. You may want to consider living close(r) to them &/or their recommended services for your child. I'm sure they can provide you will the info you seek. If frequent visits are needed, you will not want to commute regularly from Folsom or Roseville.
UC Davis MIND Institute

Old 02-26-2015, 08:31 PM

511 posts, read 508,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4BetterLife View Post
Hello,

I'm a single mom with a child with autism (9 yr old). We currently live in a tiny town in upstate NY.

Buying or Renting (Both)
Budget: 400k to 450k buy/ $1500-1800 to Rent
Employment: undecided in healthcare
Pets: None
Suburban preferred but Urban is fine as long as it's in safe area.
Public Transport: would be nice but okay without it.

reason for Moving:
2) Weather, anything is better than Neg 35!
3) I don't have much savings now, Q: how easy is it to buy a house with only 10% down?
4) My colleague lost her brother (he was shot in sacramento) and scares me that Sac is full of horrible gangsters. and some of the postings here do scare me, but as long as I don't go near those dangerous areas, I should be fine?
5) Overall better quality of life for my child and myself as well, esp with food with more diverse options and fresher veggie/fruits AND having many places to explore within driving distance.

-------------

I'm looking for a home:
1) Around $400-450k, at least 1500 sq ft (even 2000 sq ft will be nice as my parents will be moving in few years but I know that's too big for my budget)
At least with big storage or a finished (or can be finished) basement would be awesome.
2) in a very safe neighborhood where I can take a walk or go for a bike ride with my child without worrying about our safety. This is a must!
3) Relatively close to the school for special needs kids. school bus ride is fine as long as the ride isn't more than 40 min. The followings are the school she may attend.

Anyone has kids in any of the following schools?

Kendall Center
2775 Cottage Way, Sac/ 7801 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove

Applie Behav Consul
4540 Harline Dr., Sac

Capitol Autistm Services
1901 Royal Oaks Dr. Sac

Land park Academy
2751 Wilmington ave. Sac

4) I'd love to have a community pool for my daughter or a nearby gym that has a steam sauna (my mom's fav.) and pool. but this is Not a must.

5) I'm an Asian and it'd be nice to stay in short driving distance (20min.+/-) to Asian restaurants/ markets.

Thank you all for everyone who reads my (long sorry!) posting!

I'd be really appreciated if you could leave your 2 cents (worth a million to me!).

Have a wonderful day~~~ ^_^
I am not sure how severly autistic your son is...but here is a wonderful program which is near a public pool.

They go to the pool over the summer alot, I believe -http://www.placerarc.org/

The Group also runs a thrift store in the small town to benefit the program where the Clients sometimes work in it to learn skills. Very nice grocery store, it has everything. More geared towards health and organic than most stores. We don't even need to drive 15 min to the city to shop, they seem to have everything we need. And the difference is it is quality for a better price.

The town the program is located is Meadow Vista, California which is about 30-40 minutes from Sacramento

rent out the little pool for their program. Placer ARC :: Making the Difference It is located in a wonderful town called Meadow Vista. Low Crime and in a beautiful area. The air quality is very good. My assumption is your child is a Regional Center Client in which this town is just 15 minutes from Auburn where they have an office

Old 03-02-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Be sure to check out the UCDavis Mind Institute. You may want to consider living close(r) to them &/or their recommended services for your child. I'm sure they can provide you will the info you seek. If frequent visits are needed, you will not want to commute regularly from Folsom or Roseville.
UC Davis MIND Institute
Thank you Caligirlz!
I just checked out the website. Looks awesome!
Appreciate the helpful info! ^_^

Old 03-02-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
I am not sure how severly autistic your son is...but here is a wonderful program which is near a public pool.

They go to the pool over the summer alot, I believe -http://www.placerarc.org/

The Group also runs a thrift store in the small town to benefit the program where the Clients sometimes work in it to learn skills. Very nice grocery store, it has everything. More geared towards health and organic than most stores. We don't even need to drive 15 min to the city to shop, they seem to have everything we need. And the difference is it is quality for a better price.

The town the program is located is Meadow Vista, California which is about 30-40 minutes from Sacramento

rent out the little pool for their program. Placer ARC :: Making the Difference It is located in a wonderful town called Meadow Vista. Low Crime and in a beautiful area. The air quality is very good. My assumption is your child is a Regional Center Client in which this town is just 15 minutes from Auburn where they have an office

Thank you so much, MrsApt!

I just checked out the website and it appears it's geared mostly towards adults with dev. challenges. Maybe some years later (mine is 9 yr old). Meadow Vista looks wonderful, just that it's bit too far from asian markets/restaurants which is a must for my parents. Thank you again for your suggestion! ^_^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento