Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 07:52 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,014,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Yes one should think about the urban stimulation you will get in Sacramento, certainly MORE than you would ever get in Santa Cruz.

Also note, that Sacramento is only 13 minutes further than Santa Cruz is from San Francisco with less traffic and minus the horribly dangerous Highway 17.

It's funny how some coastal people think they have lock on SF when Sacramentans have been dining, shopping and cavorting in SF like any other city/town within the greater NorCal area.
And yet come summer, in Santa Cruz all we see are plate decals from places like...Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 08:25 PM

979 posts, read 2,095,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
And yet come summer, in Santa Cruz all we see are plate decals from places like...Sacramento.
Santa Cruz is a popular beach town. Sacramento is a real city. Apples and Oranges.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:59 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,289,625 times
Yeah, most ratty little beach towns dependent on tourist dollars often get flooded with people from more affluent urban areas during the summer months.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:03 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,265,022 times
Why do you guys continue to respond to WizardOfRadical like he is a honest actor?

Old 03-13-2015, 03:18 PM

572 posts, read 599,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post

Like I said, Sacto is not a bad place, and in fact some exciting things are happening. But let's not kid ourselves--a whole lot of people came out here for the affordable housing. But as the saying goes, bloom where you are planted. Make the best of where you are.
Agreed! I intend to do just that.

Just out of curiosity... what are the feelings of long-term Sacramento residents on the bay area transplant issue? I know among folks in SF that have been living there awhile - and are now stuck in whatever rent controlled shoe box apartment they were lucky enough to get into a few years back - there is some resentment to the huge influx of tech investment and jobs and money that has so massively driven up housing costs and is changing the face of the city quite dramatically.

I know the issue of bay area transplants is not necessarily a new one, but it has to have greatly increased the last few years. Are long term Sac residents happy to see this and the increase in property value and urban development that perhaps follows along with some of this? Or more annoyance because there likely is some snobbery that bay area transplants might bring along with changes that might not be welcome?

Old 03-13-2015, 06:11 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,573,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
About being defensive... the city does seem to have an inferiority complex, i.e. Sac vs SF - Sacramento Magazine - March 2013 - Sacramento, California

I guess it's hard not to be when descriptors for Sac / Sacramentans include: "overflow parking", "Bay Area washout, "bathroom pit stop to Tahoe", California's "arm pit", America's "salad bowl" (whole central valley descriptor).

Well guess what, it's all of those things, and all the Bay area people should stay where they are and leave my overflow parking lot in peace
Honestly. SF sucks now. It really does. It's incredibly dirty. It's crowded. It has almost zero parking anywhere. It takes a gazillion hrs just to get in and out of it, and a damn good part of it is flat out ugly now. I grew up in the bay and will always consider myself a native. But I think SF let itself go to hell whilst looking down its nose at every other city. I say let the bay rhink whatever they like about Sac. For what it costs to live here, I thibk you get a hell of a lot more dollar for dollar than you can get in SF.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:27 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,289,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
I know the issue of bay area transplants is not necessarily a new one, but it has to have greatly increased the last few years. Are long term Sac residents happy to see this and the increase in property value and urban development that perhaps follows along with some of this? Or more annoyance because there likely is some snobbery that bay area transplants might bring along with changes that might not be welcome?
It's a mixed bag. Sacramento doesn't really have rent control so the rising rents are disruptive but they aren't rising as high either. The increase in urban development isn't really due to Bay Area folks moving in, although they are often the target customer. Annoyances come in the form of people getting upset because we don't have thing X exactly the same way that we do in the Bay, or considering things like the weather a personal slight, and yes, the snobbery gets really old. Fortunately it's not universal. Real estate agents love Bay Area transplants because they're easy to overcharge for a house, but of course that means anyone expecting a more realistic price loses out. Increases in property value aren't good news for those trying to get into the housing market.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:46 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
SF and the inner East Bay have a very visible homeless population (it's there in the South Bay and Peninsula but not as visible). So does Portland and Seattle by my experience. Gutter punks, etc. Haven't been to SD but I'd guess it's down there too. It's a West Coast thing seems like. Here in Sac the river can get just as depressing as some of the downtown environs.
Eh, so does San Jose in the downtown area. I know. I live downtown and the homeless sleep across the street from where I live every night.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
NickB is really good at projection: because he's a Bay Area washout, he assumes everyone else aspires to live there too.
Eh, sorry, this is one of those rare times I disagree with you. I don't think he assumed this at all. But everyone knows Sac. does indeed have a large share of (slightly) wistful washouts from the Bay Area. And let's be honest, most people would probably prefer to live in the Bay Area if they could afford the same lifestyle as they have in Sac. It's just what's so.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
Honestly. SF sucks now. It really does. It's incredibly dirty. It's crowded. It has almost zero parking anywhere. It takes a gazillion hrs just to get in and out of it, and a damn good part of it is flat out ugly now. I grew up in the bay and will always consider myself a native. But I think SF let itself go to hell whilst looking down its nose at every other city. I say let the bay rhink whatever they like about Sac. For what it costs to live here, I thibk you get a hell of a lot more dollar for dollar than you can get in SF.
As a San Josean, I have also felt the same way about SF. Seems like every time I go up there it's like all the money has been vacuumed out of my wallet and I had to deal with long lines or some other inconvenience while paying for the privilege. And it hasn't gotten any better since the city has jacked up parking rates and installed meters in areas that previously didn't have them while transit into and out of the city has not improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento