Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:06 AM

544 posts, read 1,237,931 times

Advertisements

ok, i'm from NYC.. thinking of making a move to Sacramento.. raised in Miami, love the weather there and sick of the snow , sleet here.. want to experience something new w/ my 10 yr old.. i've been on CL and other property management sites and notice the rent is sooo cheap here compared to what i'm paying here ( shoebox size) i can rent a whole house over in Sacramento! that's nuts.. i have a question in regards to renting.. is there a broker's fee, first month, last month, and security? i don't see any of that on the listings.. how do ppl find apartments without brokers in Sacramento.. i don't drive, subways are the best here.. so that's another thing i'd have to learn.. but there is the lite rail? buses etc.. no cabs that i can hail outside.. but we are sooo looking forward to moving West.. any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 10:51 AM

30 posts, read 44,104 times
Are you moving here for a job? That will pretty much dictate where you will want to live since Sacramento encompasses such a large area. If you don't drive, staying around midtown and downtown Sacramento might be best for you since there is plenty of public transportation and it's very walk-able. We also have uber and Lift car services in the region.

As far as rentals go, you will most likely be paying a security deposit or first and last months rent when moving into a new place. There are lots of property management companies with home rentals who will handle everything and are typically paid by the landlord who's property they are managing. Most apartment complexes here have an onsite property manager to help. Your best bet is to look on CL(always be careful of the scammers) and other sites such as hotpads.com and homes.com for available properties. Homes.com seems to have a lot of apartment complexes listed along with amenities and area information.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:03 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,190 times
Rent is not cheap if you want to live in an urban area in a newer apartment.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:04 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Sacto ain't NYC either

Old 05-05-2015, 09:45 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,298,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Rent isn't cheap anywhere around Sacramento. It just isn't as expensive as some other places. It still costs $1,000 for a normal-size 800-900 sq ft 2 bd apartment, and chances are the appliances are 40 years old and the floors, countertops, and walls are beat to crap. Also, the carpeting is almost universally guaranteed to have a high ranking on the gross scale.

And along with this you get to deal with booming stereos 24/7 and the stench of weed drifting through the walls.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:13 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
ok, i'm from NYC.. thinking of making a move to Sacramento.. raised in Miami, love the weather there and sick of the snow , sleet here.. want to experience something new w/ my 10 yr old.. i've been on CL and other property management sites and notice the rent is sooo cheap here compared to what i'm paying here ( shoebox size) i can rent a whole house over in Sacramento! that's nuts.. i have a question in regards to renting.. is there a broker's fee, first month, last month, and security? i don't see any of that on the listings.. how do ppl find apartments without brokers in Sacramento.. i don't drive, subways are the best here.. so that's another thing i'd have to learn.. but there is the lite rail? buses etc.. no cabs that i can hail outside.. but we are sooo looking forward to moving West.. any advice is greatly appreciated.
Apartment brokers are practically unknown here, most people don't even realize they exist unless they are from the east coast. Generally you pay first/last/deposit. People check CL, rental agencies online, or drive/walk around the neighborhood they want looking for FOR RENT signs (the best way to do it if you're looking to rent in Midtown.) There is light rail and buses, the system is adequate in and around the central city and fairly poor to nonexistent as you get farther out. Cabs are a rarity except downtown but if you use Uber and Lyft they can fill in the gaps. And a bike. Get a bike. We're a great town for bike riding--flat, good weather most of the year, lots of other cyclists especially in the older neighborhoods near downtown. It's a very different lifestyle--California, even San Francisco, is very car-centric.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesbyheath View Post
Are you moving here for a job? That will pretty much dictate where you will want to live since Sacramento encompasses such a large area. If you don't drive, staying around midtown and downtown Sacramento might be best for you since there is plenty of public transportation and it's very walk-able. We also have uber and Lift car services in the region.

As far as rentals go, you will most likely be paying a security deposit or first and last months rent when moving into a new place. There are lots of property management companies with home rentals who will handle everything and are typically paid by the landlord who's property they are managing. Most apartment complexes here have an onsite property manager to help. Your best bet is to look on CL(always be careful of the scammers) and other sites such as hotpads.com and homes.com for available properties. Homes.com seems to have a lot of apartment complexes listed along with amenities and area information.
I'm hoping to get in job in the same industry i'm in now. The office is in Sacramento, the area i'm not sure of. I definetly want to get my driving license before i move.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
cheap to me is paying more than 1300 for a studio in a bad area of Brooklyn ( Brownsville) or 2500 for a 1 bedroom in Williamsburg, so yea compared to NYC, imo some areas of Sacramento from what i've seen are cheap.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Sacto ain't NYC either
I know, i need a change of pace. NYC is my hometown, that will never change, but i'm over it.. for now

Old 05-06-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Rent isn't cheap anywhere around Sacramento. It just isn't as expensive as some other places. It still costs $1,000 for a normal-size 800-900 sq ft 2 bd apartment, and chances are the appliances are 40 years old and the floors, countertops, and walls are beat to crap. Also, the carpeting is almost universally guaranteed to have a high ranking on the gross scale.

And along with this you get to deal with booming stereos 24/7 and the stench of weed drifting through the walls.
1,000 is VERY cheap for a 2 bdr compared to NYC.. you can't find that even in a bad area of say the Bronx or Brooklyn. Very rare.. maybe a room...maybe.. Pretty hard to even find a 1 bdr in that price range here.

what part of Sacramento is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento