Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 12:20 AM

113 posts, read 159,490 times

Advertisements

Who are the people who are opposed to this? It seems like such an amazing project and a ton of federal money coming in to help pay for it. To be able to connect West Sac, Old Sac, Downtown, and Midtown through a streetcar like this seems like a no brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 08:14 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Ya got me...it's a great plan that has slowly evolved over the last decade, the route is well chosen and it has potential for expansion.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:06 AM

276 posts, read 365,305 times
Are either of you going to be paying taxes on your house for the next 40 years to cover the project?

Old 05-15-2015, 09:49 AM

572 posts, read 599,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewsLogin View Post
Are either of you going to be paying taxes on your house for the next 40 years to cover the project?
I will and will gladly contribute for improved public transportation plans like this. This is the type of thing that greatly improves a city and will make it a more desirable place to live thereby increasing the value of your property.

Denser living spaces with folks walking, biking, using public transportation and moving away from driving everywhere is the future. Be a part of the solution not a part of the problem.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:59 AM

113 posts, read 159,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewsLogin View Post
Residential property owners are only being asked to pay for less than 1% of the construction costs. But they will be seeing a huge uptick in property value as Sacramento continues to develop. Millenials don't want to live in suburbia. The people who have been sitting on their properties forever will be able to sell even higher or increase their rent prices.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:28 AM

256 posts, read 367,481 times
The people I know who are opposed to it are opposed because they would prefer to see transportation infrastructure concentrated on low-income areas that need better bus service.

I've been on the fence but overall, I guess I think it's a waste of money, and I would rather see more and better bus service, since that serves more people, not just a very small number of relatively well-off downtown residents who want to see a River Cats game. I'm not opposed enough to campaign against it or put up a yard sign, but I don't see the point of it, and I don't think it's going to be used much, and I think it will mostly make people think that public transportation is not worthwhile because nobody uses it.

And you can really read that as total self-interest: I won't use it, it doesn't go anywhere I need to go, it's too far from my home to be remotely convenient (I'd either have to already be biking or already on a different bus or already walking most of the way to where I need to be). But I live in midtown, for pete's sake. This is not just for central city residents, it's for a very, very small number of central city residents.

I would totally, 100%, be willing to pay higher taxes for better bus service for everybody, though.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:32 AM

779 posts, read 484,064 times
If we had the kings paying for their own arena there would be plenty of money

Old 05-15-2015, 10:51 AM

276 posts, read 365,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVinci View Post
Residential property owners are only being asked to pay for less than 1% of the construction costs. But they will be seeing a huge uptick in property value as Sacramento continues to develop. Millenials don't want to live in suburbia. The people who have been sitting on their properties forever will be able to sell even higher or increase their rent prices.
That does not answer the question.

As for the cost to homeowners, that remains to be seen. The initial $38 million in principal (note, this number does not include interest payments) can be adjusted each year.

Full disclosure: I am not in the district. I am opposed to the city and the county spending on this project. The projected numbers for ridership and fares are overly optimistic and the potential impact on the traffic downtown is not worth it. The money could be better spent to improve the existing system.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:59 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Ya got me...
Remember this guy you adamantly supported?

Old 05-15-2015, 01:46 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willingsniper View Post
If we had the kings paying for their own arena there would be plenty of money
Why should the Kings pay for their own arena?

They are only going to use it about 50 times per year. The city owns the new arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento