Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 03:48 AM

32 posts, read 66,382 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking into the the various options for internet service providers for Sacramento and I was interested if anyone has any opinions about their preferred provider. I noticed some of the listed ones were comcast (xfinity) and AT&T. I am sure there are others. Does anyone have a preferred provider in the Sacramento area? How are the speeds? Is there a data cap? I only have internet and we stream movies, etc. So we will need a provider with higher speeds. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 08:23 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,001,926 times
We used Comcast which was fine but they keep hiking up prices. Switched to AT&T and the service is spotty, on and off. I think AT&T is very street dependent with some installations better than others. Will switch back soon if they can't fix it.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:07 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Pick one and then get a data plan with a lot of tethering for when they're not working or so slow they might as well not be. It's neighborhood specific. I switched to AT&T because Comcast was going down around every other week for 4-72 hours. On the other hand AT&T is certainly spotty and just crawls during peak hours. Frequently it's so slow you can't stream youtube videos at 320p. I've had days where it throttles down to 120p and still can't stream, basically dialup speed. I have 7 GB of tethering with my smartphone plan. I mean, you're not going to want to go on a binge but you can certainly use it here and there when AT&T is running at dialup speeds or Comcast is down for three days. Just depends where you live though. Comcast was great where my friend lived in the Pocket. I'm in unincorporated land. It's older and I doubt either have done any infrastructure work since the '70s here. Talking with people who have offices in Natomas/University Commons areas it's pretty similar. Everyone I've talked to is using AT&T because Comcast is so unreliable and just suffering or using Jetpacks/tethering for when it's too slow to use. Bigger offices are paying for trunk access, smaller offices use mobile internet for redundancy if they need something reliable.

Last edited by Malloric; 07-16-2015 at 09:21 AM..

Old 07-16-2015, 02:12 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
I've had ATT internet for years. I never had a significant problem with their DSL lines or wireless, other than latency at times. They are dependable, but do not offer the same speeds as Comcast.

I recently changed to Comcast for work, and got the highest speed available. Unfortunately, the corporate VPN doesnt move that fast, and I have noticed much latency. It also seems the wireless from my personal line goes down frequently in the evening, and I find it quite annonying. Overall, the quality of the product is still better than ATT.

I'm in Folsom.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:26 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,018 times
I have AT&T and am happy with it--but don't stream anything. Some days I can barely load a Youtube video.

I've talked to them and it depends on where you live. I'm apparently the last possible house from wherever the "box" is.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:36 PM

32 posts, read 66,382 times
I had AT&T down here in the San Diego (El Cajon) area years ago and had many of the same issues that everyone is reporting here. It would seem that they have not changed much.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:29 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
There is another provider, but I'm not sure if they are available everywhere in the County. I have u-verse and am happy with it, but the guy we bought our house from used this company and said it was good Digital TV, Phone, High-speed Internet - Consolidated Communications - Sacramento/Kansas City

Old 07-18-2015, 12:12 AM

78 posts, read 103,473 times
Sonic.net pretty much crushes all competition. Unfortunately, they're a small company and have a small service foot print. You should find out if they are available in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento