Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 08:22 PM

27 posts, read 29,128 times

Advertisements

The more I study California state laws the more awe I have. Laws from rules for privacy of job applicants. Marijuana laws like proposition 215 and AB266. 2016 state voter referendum for legislation of marijuana. Equal opportunity and hate crime laws for LGBT. City laws like a living wage of $15 an hour in Los Angeles and San Francisco. I could go on and on. What laws do you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 08:40 PM

113 posts, read 160,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasUsuck View Post
The more I study California state laws the more awe I have. Laws from rules for privacy of job applicants. Marijuana laws like proposition 215 and AB266. 2016 state voter referendum for legislation of marijuana. Equal opportunity and hate crime laws for LGBT. City laws like a living wage of $15 an hour in Los Angeles and San Francisco. I could go on and on. What laws do you like?
I hope you're not being serious with this one

Old 06-30-2015, 08:41 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,767,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVinci View Post
Care to elaborate?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:45 PM

113 posts, read 160,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Care to elaborate?
Elaborate on what increasing the minimum wage in a state does to the overall prices of goods in general? Elaborate on the general economics of inflation?

I think it's a topic that's been beaten to death over the course of time. Let's just say I'm not a fan.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:48 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,819,236 times
$15/hour is a bad idea in L.A. and S.F. Talk about crippling small businesses in the name of "helpin' the little man."

Old 06-30-2015, 08:52 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,590,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
$15/hour is a bad idea in L.A. and S.F. Talk about crippling small businesses in the name of "helpin' the little man."
We will see by the end of next year - it will be interesting to see the effect this has on small businesses and pricing in general.

Personally, I think it's a knee jerk reaction by the mayor and will not help the very people it is designed to, but economics are complex and don't always work as predicted.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:26 PM

10,512 posts, read 5,183,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasUsuck View Post
City laws like a living wage of $15 an hour in Los Angeles and San Francisco.
I agree, except it really should be a national or state minimum wage of $15/hr. There's an easy way to tell if wages are too low: when full time employees qualify for EBT cards, housing vouchers or other government assistance, wages are too low. It doesn't make sense for a business to pay $10/hr and then the taxpayer has to kick in another $5/hr just so the wage earner can have basic food and shelter. SNAP/EBT costs the U.S. $75 bil per year. If the minimum wage was raised high enough so workers don't qualify, the taxpayer would save billions.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:10 AM

2,413 posts, read 4,468,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I agree, except it really should be a national or state minimum wage of $15/hr. There's an easy way to tell if wages are too low: when full time employees qualify for EBT cards, housing vouchers or other government assistance, wages are too low. It doesn't make sense for a business to pay $10/hr and then the taxpayer has to kick in another $5/hr just so the wage earner can have basic food and shelter. SNAP/EBT costs the U.S. $75 bil per year. If the minimum wage was raised high enough so workers don't qualify, the taxpayer would save billions.
Wouldn't the small business employer have to actually make enough profit to pay the higher wages, or is this the magical money that just appears when needed?

Old 07-01-2015, 08:39 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,808,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
That was the endgame all along--to encourage people not to work and be welfare dependent. And if the minimum wage is raised, without any moves to bring the costs of other factors or inputs down, the prices of everything go up, and surprise, surprise, surprise! Before long $15 / hour is the new "chump change".

Old 07-01-2015, 08:51 AM

27 posts, read 29,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVinci View Post
Compared to Texas you could be a popcorn Fart and look good. For example the supreme court just ruled in favor of gay marriage at a federal level. Texas attorney general Ken Paxton has decided that Texas government employees like court clerks can deny marriage licences based on religious objections. If your a government employee you don't get to interpret law you follow the law or you find another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento