Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 12,695 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on being there for a few days in mid December, and am wondering what the conditions are like? Would a 4 wheel drive be necessary or a 2 wheel rear would be fine?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 12:18 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,267 times
Placerville and other foothill communities will occasionally get a dusting of snow when the snow levels drop really low. Snow is more common up the road in Pollack Pines and Camino. Keep in mind that Placerville is located at an elevation of 1,867 feet, so a two wheel drive would be fine. Just check the weather conditions prior to your visit.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:11 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,262,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
Placerville and other foothill communities will occasionally get a dusting of snow when the snow levels drop really low. Snow is more common up the road in Pollack Pines and Camino. Keep in mind that Placerville is located at an elevation of 1,867 feet, so a two wheel drive would be fine. Just check the weather conditions prior to your visit.
True, all add, in normal non-drought years and non El Nino years, you can expect at least 1 or 2 significant weather events during the winter of 1-3 inches of snow in one storm, which is likely to smelt in 24hours or stick around for 2-3 days and then melt. Other than that, mostly cold rain.

and this...

Snowfall in El Dorado County - lower elevations - See link as well for all of El Dorado County(above Placerville up to Tahoe and high elevations).

Snowfall amounts can vary tremendously depending on elevation. Placerville on down in elevation to El Dorado Hills usually receives very little snowfall during the winter. Placerville will normally receive 3 to 6 inches on a few occasions during the winter which normally melts very rapidly. On rare occasions Placerville can receive considerably more. In the winter of 1990 for example, Placerville saw nearly two feet of snow on the ground, with Cameron Park and Shingle Springs receiving upwards of one foot of snow. This paralyzed the local towns and surrounding areas for many days, and a few weeks in some cases. Several local areas had no electricity for as long as about two weeks. Our local power company (PG&E) had an enormous job of restoring electricity to thousands of customers from downed power lines, trees, and fried or zapped electrical transformers because of all the snow.

El Dorado County Climate, Weather Statistics, Climate Statistics, Cloud Types, Elevations, Snowfall, Rainfall, Annual Averages, and Historic Weather Data

Old 11-15-2015, 03:05 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
It's on the way to Tahoe so it does have snow, so it depends on the year.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:52 PM

251 posts, read 375,885 times
Yes it can snow in Placerville. I get my Christmas tree there every year around the first or second weekend of December but haven't had to deal with snow for the past couple of years. Even when there was snow it wasn't pilling up on the road and only stuck to the hillsides.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:55 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
It's a pretty low elevation in Placerville, so usually there is little or no snow most winters.

Over all, "You just never know, what Mother Nature has planned".....

My friends live by Foresthill. They usually get more snow. It's a higher elevation.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:17 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,838,350 times
It occassionally snows in Shingle Springs, and Placerville is higher up the hill.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:13 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,296,561 times
Don't worry about the snow there because even if it does snow there it is going melt once it hits the asphalt. Generally, it is rare for snow to be a road condition issue below 3,500 ft.

Btw, there is snow in the forecast down to 1,000 feet today and tomorrow, but the forecast accumulations are about 1 to 2 inches at 2,000 feet.

I'll tell you something that does happen. The old downtown area of Placerville is located in a hollow that runs east-west for a good distance. Cold air funnels down the canyons and ravines into Placerville and can make it quite chilly after sunset. Enough to make your hands cold fairly quick, while at the same time it can be mild on the hilltops just outside Placerville. Sometimes the trees will remain frosty well through the day where the cold air drains through the low spots. So, bring a good jacket.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:19 PM

534 posts, read 1,532,652 times
Yes it does snow there occasionally and I have towed cars out of snowbanks/off the road with my 4WD.

I never venture in that area or higher up without chains (except in July and August).

Check the weather report; if there is an even slight chance of weather, carry chains. And be prepared for black ice (which chains won't help you with). Just remember, it's all about speed. GO SLOWLY if there is ice or snow. Don't slam on the brakes if you start to slide; let off of the gas and concentrate on steering.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
At least get a front wheel drive vehicle. If you have the choice, get 4 wheel drive and carry chains just in case. Because, yes, it snows in Placerville. I worked in Sacramento and had a co-worker who would not be able to come to work because of bad road conditions when it snowed.

It might not snow, if it does there might not be an accumulation, but on the other hand, it might snow a lot. It's up to you if you want to gamble. I don't like to gamble, so I'd go with 4 wheel drive. Or at minimum, front wheel drive. Rear wheel drive is terrible on snow or ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento