Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 09:18 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,660,430 times

Advertisements

Very quick question for you economists. When the min. wage rises to $15 per hour in 2022, what do you think would happen to price of homes in California, specifically Sacramento? Do you think it's going to sky rocket, rise slowly over time, or would we see a recession? I'm thinking that if the min. wage goes up, rent prices goes up. If rent prices goes up, then home prices usually goes up. If the interest rates continue to be this low OR gets even lower, a family of two earners would have at least have an income of 60k. And with more money a buyer has, the demand for homes would go up, am i right?

I'm just worried about my property taxes. I don't want them to skyrocket to the moon if that happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 11:29 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I'm just worried about my property taxes. I don't want them to skyrocket to the moon if that happens.
You do understand how Prop 13 works, right?

Old 05-26-2016, 11:38 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times
Home prices and rent prices are already way past what even a $15 minimum wage can pay for. It will have no effect.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:45 AM

22 posts, read 43,750 times
A question with MANY possible answers...on one hand, if workers are earning more income, in theory, demand for homes should increase, but that is likely a very simplistic view. If the cost of production is rising, it's likely the buying power of a dollar is decreasing. We could see a decrease in the demand for home ownership and a rise in the demand for renting as the cost of owning increases (not just mortgage, but all the associated costs of owning a home - repairs/services, taxes, etc). As Majin stated, home prices (ownership) in this area are typically already beyond the affordability of $15/hour. Even with a two income household, a buyer would likely be limited in which areas they may be able to afford to purchase with 60k income.

It will be interesting to see how much new construction is built during the next six years. As you'll see on these forms, many bay area people are turning inland for more affordable housing. If prices do continue to rise, we may see an increase in demand her in Sac, which would drive our pricing up as well.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Home prices and rent prices are already way past what even a $15 minimum wage can pay for. It will have no effect.
One of our posters said a household with two incomes would need $30 and hour or about 120k combined... to realize expectations in much of California...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: