Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you consider Sacramento a great place to live?
I can't afford to move anytime soon. 0 0%
It's a big city with plenty of jobs available and good public transportation. 4 30.77%
Close to San Francisco but less expensive. 8 61.54%
Gorgeous weather all year round, from rain to rain and frost to frost. 7 53.85%
Great local produce and fairly safe in most areas. 5 38.46%
I have a good job here. 6 46.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 02:06 PM

7 posts, read 10,043 times

Advertisements

The things I really want to know: I currently live in Chandler, Arizona. Do any of the grocery stores have Starbucks inside the store? Are there different utility companies that serve different parts of the city? Can you get through a winter without running your heat if you are dressed very warmly? What are some good ways to save/conserve money in Sacramento as a newcomer trying to get set-up on limited funds with no or very new employment? Are there any dangerous or extremely undesirable areas that I don't want to stumble into unwittingly? And lastly...what are the best middle-of-the road areas as far as being fairly decent and not super-expensive but not crime infested slums? Also, do I need mace or pepper spray for daily life? All comments and helpful information appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 02:31 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,432 times
See below
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpitch View Post
The things I really want to know: I currently live in Chandler, Arizona. Do any of the grocery stores have Starbucks inside the store?
Yes. Is this really a factor for you in moving to a place?

Are there different utility companies that serve different parts of the city?
I think most areas are on SMUD.

Can you get through a winter without running your heat if you are dressed very warmly?
Depends on your insulation and cold tolerance, but I don't think most people would. We live in an old house, and if we left the heat off we'd have days that would never get above 50 inside, which is too cold for us.

What are some good ways to save/conserve money in Sacramento as a newcomer trying to get set-up on limited funds with no or very new employment?
You would generally need employment and proof of income to secure your own apartment. If you have no employment, hopefully you have a friend's couch to crash on for a while.

Are there any dangerous or extremely undesirable areas that I don't want to stumble into unwittingly?
Yes. South Sac. Although I'm not sure there's much chance you would "stumble unwittingly" into that area.

And lastly...what are the best middle-of-the road areas as far as being fairly decent and not super-expensive but not crime infested slums?
There are dozens of neighborhoods all over the metro area that fit those requirements.

Also, do I need mace or pepper spray for daily life?
No.

All comments and helpful information appreciated.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:28 PM

152 posts, read 232,508 times
I went a winter about 12 years ago without heat. Most nights it wasn't a huge deal, pretty comfy sleeping under a comforter, in a hoodie, sweats and two pairs of socks. There were a few nights that were very cold, seeing your breath inside type thing but still doable if you just don't want to use the heat.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:17 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,660,430 times
we have smud for electricity and pge for gas. Winters get really cold for california standards so you may need to run some heat. Most of south sac is bad but it's not like a warzone like juarez mexico. In the north, there's del paso heights but i don't think you will run into that neighborhood. Sacramento is a growing metropolitian and it's getting bigger by the day...and also more expensive.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:01 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpitch View Post
The things I really want to know: I currently live in Chandler, Arizona. Do any of the grocery stores have Starbucks inside the store? Are there different utility companies that serve different parts of the city? Can you get through a winter without running your heat if you are dressed very warmly? What are some good ways to save/conserve money in Sacramento as a newcomer trying to get set-up on limited funds with no or very new employment? Are there any dangerous or extremely undesirable areas that I don't want to stumble into unwittingly? And lastly...what are the best middle-of-the road areas as far as being fairly decent and not super-expensive but not crime infested slums? Also, do I need mace or pepper spray for daily life? All comments and helpful information appreciated.
SMUD is cheaper than PG&E but only provides Electric, PG&E provides gas service all over the area.

Yes lots of stores have Starbuck's or Peet's coffee

Our heating bill for a 1500 sq ft house is around $40 a month in the winter, we set the thermostat at 68 in the day and 50 at night. Our house is old but well insulated.

It's hard to save money with no job...I never recommend moving to a new area without a job, it's usually a recipe for disaster.

No you don't need pepper spray, avoid north highlands and parts of south sac and you will be fine

Old 12-24-2016, 10:03 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
If you live in Sacramento County, you get electricity from Sacramento Municipal Utilities District (SMUD), whose rates are low and they're leading the state in renewable energy. They're owned by the public. Outside of Sacramento County, you get electricity from Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E), whose rates are higher and occasionally their gas lines explode. Both buy gas from PG&E. Unless you have a superbly insulated house, you will need to heat it in winter, but usually that's pretty cheap compared to the electricity to cool it in summer--but that will probably cost less than it does in Arizona.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:06 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
What are some good ways to save/conserve money in Sacramento as a newcomer trying to get set-up on limited funds with no or very new employment?
It's really not recommended to come without a job. I understand the waiting lists for subsidized housing are quite long. maybe you could get aid.

Are there any dangerous or extremely undesirable areas that I don't want to stumble into unwittingly?
some of the more notorious areas are North Highlands, Del Paso, parts of Rancho Cordova (north of 50, along Folsom Blvd), Meadowview in South Sac.

And lastly...what are the best middle-of-the road areas as far as being fairly decent and not super-expensive but not crime infested slums? anything but the places listed above.

Also, do I need mace or pepper spray for daily life? not daily, but depending on where you go, and what time of the day you may want to bring it with you. Also, the Sac County Sheriff Depart has a shall issue policy for concealed carry permits which you are more likely to get if you live in the county vs the city.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:49 AM

572 posts, read 599,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
If you live in Sacramento County, you get electricity from Sacramento Municipal Utilities District (SMUD), whose rates are low and they're leading the state in renewable energy. They're owned by the public. Outside of Sacramento County, you get electricity from Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E), whose rates are higher and occasionally their gas lines explode. Both buy gas from PG&E. Unless you have a superbly insulated house, you will need to heat it in winter, but usually that's pretty cheap compared to the electricity to cool it in summer--but that will probably cost less than it does in Arizona.
Interesting. I get electric from SMUD and gas from PG&E. I have gas furnace for heat in winter and electric AC for cool in summer. I find my gas bills much higher for winter heat than electric for summer AC.

We keep the house at 64 in the evenings and mornings and turn it back to 58 during the days/nights when we work/sleep.

In the summer we have it set to 78 for the times we are home so after 5pm and overnight. But we also have a whole house fan we use over cooler evenings/nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento