Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 05:10 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Interesting how you knock Sacramento, but because of Dallas's horrible horrible summers you leave for the summer to live in Colorado....and Dallas' winters are colder than Sacramento. I guess that's why you leave Dallas for 6 months out of they year.

I spent a summer in Dallas and my sister lived in Dallas for many years, Summers are by far worse in Dallas than Sacramento. No, Sacramento never never had 100's degrees days for 30 days in row that would be Dallas. It's down right horribly hot and humid at night in Dallas. And my sister returned to Sacramento.

Yes, we swim in the pool at night in Sacramento even though its 20 degrees cooler than Dallas on a typical summer night.
I lived in Central TX for 6 years. To each his own but I'll also take the inland CA summer heat over the TX summer heat 100 times out of 100. I found it to be more muggy than FL. I like TX but weather most definitely wasn't a reason lol. The weather blew chunks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 09:12 AM

101 posts, read 182,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I lived in Central TX for 6 years. To each his own but I'll also take the inland CA summer heat over the TX summer heat 100 times out of 100. I found it to be more muggy than FL. I like TX but weather most definitely wasn't a reason lol. The weather blew chunks.
That's great except my original post has nothing to do with comparing Texas to Sacramento. I think I will make a post though specifically for that topic since so many of you feel the need to compare.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:07 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Actually, this is internet culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStateProject View Post
1. "LOL, he moved to TX. The place no one wants to be unless they had to."

This is where the people from Sacramento really "shine" and show their true colors with snarky comments (and partly why I decided to move). Rather than accept some of my feedback as an honest opinion, it turns into elementary school attacks. This is Sacramento "culture".

Old 04-30-2017, 02:53 PM

511 posts, read 625,437 times
Quote:
Here's my take on it (I'm sure others will take offense and attack me but it's just an opinion). Sacramento, generally (emphasis added), consists of two categories of people: (1) individuals who relocated from the Bay Area within the last couple of years or (2) individuals who relocated from the Bay Area within the last 25-30 years. The difference is that the category 1 individuals will remind you constantly that they are not from the Sacramento region, rather, they moved there from the Bay Area (as if to console their pretentious little hearts for fear they be judged for living in a "cow town"). Individuals in category 2 will always tell those in category 1 that they, too, moved from the Bay Area as if to ensure that are not "one-upped" by those in category 1. Both category 1 and 2 people are singularly focused on how to turn Sacramento into the Bay Area (though, despite their best efforts, it will never happen - at least not the good form the Bay Area). There is another category of people (category 3) which consists of people who sort of get exhausted with the category 1 and category 2 people. They are usually those who grew up in the sacramento region and don't have a connection to the Bay Area like category 1 and 2 people. These are usually the people I find I get along with best because they are simply less pretentious. The culture and energy of the Sacramento region can be best described as a buzz without a climax. There is always talk about what is going to happen but then it never does or it fizzles out. With regards to the underlying values, I believe it is rather good (depending on the specific location). You'll find areas where there is a huge amount of support for the gay community but then drive 40 minutes and its like you went back to the 19th century. It's almost a sort of live-and-let-live culture. Not as good as the Bay Area but pretty decent.

2. "On another thread where someone said that Sacramento tends to have apathetic people, a couple posters said that, sure, in relation to the frenetic craziness of the Bay Area mentality, this feeling could be seen as lack of motivation, but what I read the poster to mean was it was more just comfort with one's place, "laid back," attitude. I liked how thoughtful the poster was. I'd love to hear more of these types of thoughtful observations - NOT STATS, please, but personal insight. I know they will be subjective, and I'm interested."

Some of the Bay Area transplants' attitudes have rolled over into Sacramento (apathetic attitudes being one of them). Again, I chalk this up to more of a live-and-let-live culture if you can look past the competitive pretentiousness.
Thanks for your perspective.

Immediately upon reading your post, a few family members came to mind. They're from the Bay Area but can no longer afford to live there. They now live between Sac and SF and live well beyond their means. "Pretentious" is a word that's been bandied about when referencing them.

However, those are the only people I've come across like this, but I don't have extensive experience. I'll keep my feelers out. As for going 40 minutes in another direction and feeling like you're in another world, you know - I think this isn't all that unusual. I'm originally from San Diego, and this happens there, too. It happens here where I live now near Seattle. As soon as you leave the city hub, things can change dramatically. Of course, I'll be looking out especially for this as we will be looking for a house on property, so we will be looking some distance out.

This has been my experience visiting the area over the last 20 years. A family member lived near Auburn, so we'd get off 5 and take 80. As soon as we got on 80, it was like we were in a different world. Some drivers were MEAN, nasty,vengeful - nothing like we'd ever seen before, and we're from SoCal, so we know assertive and aggressive driving. But what we experienced on 80 was something else. Then we'd get on 5 South to go home, and again, night and day - assertive drivers, some fast, but not mean. Then we moved to Washington, and the same thing happened going north on 5 from 80 - just regular CA drivers, not mean. I wonder if 80 is infiltrated with Bay Area drivers going east to Tahoe and such, but they're not on 5 so much and that could explain what we experienced on 80. (I use the past tense because I avoid 80 at all costs. Family all live near Roseville now, and it's easy to get there using other routes.) I drove in the Bay Area recently, and I found a fair number of drivers nasty, mean, not as much aggressive as intentionally vengeful. It's a very unpleasant dynamic.

I'm looking forward to being in Sacramento for a longer stay on my own turf, not in a relative's house. We are all so different, and what's appealing to one is a turn-off to another. I've been on various forums on c-d for 9 months as I search for a place to move, and that's one thing I've discovered. What makes one person love a place is what makes another person hate it. That's why I want to hear everyone's perspectives. Thanks!

Old 04-30-2017, 10:44 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Is it just me, or does it seem like people are more likely to not be swimming on a summer night than swimming, thus Sacramento summers (which generally cool off, as opposed to humid places where it stays pretty hoy) are better if you don't have a pool (since they apparently might get a slight chill getting out of the pool and it's only like 75 degrees out)?

Not so sure about drivers--I don't drive much, so everyone seems to drive badly to me, no matter what city--different cities seem to have different styles of bad driving, and people get confused because everyone gets used to their own city's bad driving, but don't know how to cope with the crazy driving of other cities. My preference--drive less, it's more relaxing.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:06 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Moved to Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth). We had the opportunity to live anywhere in US so we considered a number of different locations (Washington, Idaho, Florida, Nevada, Oregon, South Carolina, North Carolina, etc.) knowing that each location has its good and bad. My original post was more-or-less geared towards those individuals who may be considering the move but concerned about making a mistake (as we did) by leaving California. What I like most about the current location is the economy. There just seems to be such a healthier vibe when it comes to opportunities (for everyone).
I'm curious, is there any other reason you looked at those states than economy?
Politics? rights? laws??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateNFree View Post
Do you know anything about Tracy, Manteca, Modesto, Stockton, or Lodi. The reason I asked is because they are more affordable than Sacramento. Also, my husband will be working in an Amazon facility and there are a couple near those towns. We are looking for cultural diversity. He's Spanish and I'm black. We are looking to stay somewhere that is open to race and more on the liberal-side. Virginia is not a place for people of our culture. We have had issues finding jobs. Laws here are crazy, specifically traffic laws. There are so many issues. We want to live in a place where we feel free, happy, and equal to everyone else.
I spent many years in the Central San Joaquin Valley. SJV towns tend to lean more conservative so this may not be a good fit for you, plus the job market has less opportunities. Stockton is possibly the largest, and most diverse town that you mentioned, but it also has a high crime rate. The other towns are too small for your needs.

I would suggest living as close to your jobs as possible, as the traffic can get pretty congested. I'm from the country, so I hate the traffic, but you may have a much greater tolerance than I.

Quote:
This is where the people from Sacramento really "shine" and show their true colors with snarky comments (and partly why I decided to move). Rather than accept some of my feedback as an honest opinion, it turns into elementary school attacks. This is Sacramento "culture".
Quote:
That's great except my original post has nothing to do with comparing Texas to Sacramento. I think I will make a post though specifically for that topic since so many of you feel the need to compare.
Well, I see you are fairly new here (19 posts). If you take a look around in any of the state/city forums, you'll find that these types of posts - why i left state/town "xyz" are rarely received well. They come across as crybaby/condescending posts. You aren't going to win anyone to your side with this attitude. If you want to make posts like this, I would suggest posting in the moving forum, not in a specific city/state forum. http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-moving-issues/

I found some examples of other crybaby posts, please read with an open mind and note the comparison to your post.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...a-barbara.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...io-valley.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...not-think.html

And despite your many protests, maybe you cant see it, but we do, you ARE comparing Tx to Sacramento.

Anyways, glad you are happy with your move.

Last edited by caligirlz; 05-01-2017 at 11:14 AM..

Old 05-01-2017, 06:41 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,745 times
Kinda tired of people cloaking their political views as an "opinion" about geography. Texas' state property tax is literally double CA's in most cases. Your option to avoid that is to not buy a home. That kind of defeats the entire draw of Texas, which is regularly quoted as "You can buy an (insert huge home SQ FT) in Texas for only X dollars". There's no other reason to move to Texas other than buying a home, being closer to family or, if you have extremely conservative views to be around like minded people.

Also, Sacramento has a great entrepreneurial buzz right not. There are small businesses opening up monthly here, everywhere. Not sure what you were seeing or where you were looking. Your statement on that is not true, at all.

The best way to put it is that you like Texas better. Just leave it at that. No need to bash Sac.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:15 AM

258 posts, read 291,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
"Vapid pretentious" Bay Area people don't move to Sacramento, they move to LA, and NY.
Eh, i wouldn't be too comfortable. A good friend of mine and I have both noticed a small number of individuals that seem to literally act like they were pulled from the Bay Area - uppity, small minded, and nasty brats.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:29 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,308,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Well, I see you are fairly new here (19 posts). If you take a look around in any of the state/city forums, you'll find that these types of posts - why i left state/town "xyz" are rarely received well. They come across as crybaby/condescending posts. You aren't going to win anyone to your side with this attitude. If you want to make posts like this, I would suggest posting in the moving forum, not in a specific city/state forum. http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-moving-issues/

I found some examples of other crybaby posts, please read with an open mind and note the comparison to your post.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...a-barbara.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...io-valley.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...not-think.html
Well said.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:29 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
1. "LOL, he moved to TX. The place no one wants to be unless they had to."

Yes, you can determine Sacramento culture by one post on the Internet.

What was the point of your OP again? To say that people who want to move from Sacramento, should? What is so revolutionary about that fact that it required a whole post that generalized a metro population of 2 million?

That's what people don't like about these sorts of posts. Nobody cares that you dislike Sacramento or like Texas. But people do care when you go on the forum of the city you don't like, gloat about moving (even if it's subtle), then get upset when the locals don't like what you wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento