Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2017, 12:49 PM

1,098 posts, read 902,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You started the thread, you could not have been replying to an earlier post since there were none
haha what are you talking about? This is the post I responded to....

"California is liberal minded in general and probably becoming more and more so. If you are pretty right wing and hate taxes and regulation and put short-term economics above environmental issues, have no interest in looking to the future and seeing a more sustainable way of life, use of energy, action and adaption toward a changing climate etc. then this is probably not the place for you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 01:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
haha what are you talking about? This is the post I responded to....

"California is liberal minded in general and probably becoming more and more so. If you are pretty right wing and hate taxes and regulation and put short-term economics above environmental issues, have no interest in looking to the future and seeing a more sustainable way of life, use of energy, action and adaption toward a changing climate etc. then this is probably not the place for you."
Ok, so you like Sacramento and you were being sarcastic toward that post, fair enough but next time help us out with an emoji like >

Old 05-19-2017, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,306 times
Just a question for Nostateproject... Are the "pastie white" neighborhoods you refer to sort of the opposite of charcoal black neighborhoods? If so can you suggest whether or not one is preferable to the other? And why? Thanks

Old 05-21-2017, 12:10 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,148,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudbikessuck View Post
Just a question for Nostateproject... Are the "pastie white" neighborhoods you refer to sort of the opposite of charcoal black neighborhoods? If so can you suggest whether or not one is preferable to the other? And why? Thanks
I prefer milk chocolate brown neighborhoods. To me they narrowly edge out plywood tan neighborhoods.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:37 AM

113 posts, read 159,521 times
This thread is pretty large now and most likely no longer constructive to people thinking about Sacramento, but I just wanted to share how crazy different a person's experience of "Sacramento" is when you live in the suburbs (Folsom). The OP mentioned how the majority of people are Bay Area transplants, however most of the young professionals I associate with are either from the area or somewhere else. If anything, I know more people going towards the bay than coming. That's not to say people are moving in from the Bay Area, but the proposition is no where near what you make it seem.

You also sound somewhat jaded by some possible elitism or "keeping up with the jones'" type of deal. I could see that happening in Folsom more (it's the burbs) but that happens anywhere and everywhere. I think for your near 20 year stay in the area, you should have experimented with living in an area closer to the hub. East Sac, Land Park, Curtis Park, or even the Fair Oaks Area. It's possible you would of had a different experience.

I can't argue with the home prices, however, it's easy to see the cause is low inventory. It'll take some time to get that sorted out with new construction. However now you're getting into a generational question on where millenials want to live...

I'm glad Texas is working out for you. I actually just got my first taste of Austin Texas and loved it. If I ever get fed up enough with California, that's where you'd find me. Felt like what Sacramento will be in 10-15 years.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:45 AM

572 posts, read 599,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
If you love segregated safe spaces, language police, race bating, hate speech, intolerance, fascism and crippling debt ect. Then liberal California is the place for you! If you enjoy free speech, diversity of thought and a lifestyle that you can afford then it's probably not the place for you.

I see what you did there and I'm not impressed.
Fair response. I expected my comment to raise a few hackles.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:29 PM

101 posts, read 183,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I lived in Central TX for 6 years. To each his own but I'll also take the inland CA summer heat over the TX summer heat 100 times out of 100. I found it to be more muggy than FL. I like TX but weather most definitely wasn't a reason lol. The weather blew chunks.
How's that wonderful Sacramento weather treating you this week? What is it? 111? How pleasant. Good thing you dodged the Texas weather which is in the high 80s and low 90s.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
Thanks for your perspective.

Immediately upon reading your post, a few family members came to mind. They're from the Bay Area but can no longer afford to live there. They now live between Sac and SF and live well beyond their means. "Pretentious" is a word that's been bandied about when referencing them.

However, those are the only people I've come across like this, but I don't have extensive experience. I'll keep my feelers out. As for going 40 minutes in another direction and feeling like you're in another world, you know - I think this isn't all that unusual. I'm originally from San Diego, and this happens there, too. It happens here where I live now near Seattle. As soon as you leave the city hub, things can change dramatically. Of course, I'll be looking out especially for this as we will be looking for a house on property, so we will be looking some distance out.

This has been my experience visiting the area over the last 20 years. A family member lived near Auburn, so we'd get off 5 and take 80. As soon as we got on 80, it was like we were in a different world. Some drivers were MEAN, nasty,vengeful - nothing like we'd ever seen before, and we're from SoCal, so we know assertive and aggressive driving. But what we experienced on 80 was something else. Then we'd get on 5 South to go home, and again, night and day - assertive drivers, some fast, but not mean. Then we moved to Washington, and the same thing happened going north on 5 from 80 - just regular CA drivers, not mean. I wonder if 80 is infiltrated with Bay Area drivers going east to Tahoe and such, but they're not on 5 so much and that could explain what we experienced on 80. (I use the past tense because I avoid 80 at all costs. Family all live near Roseville now, and it's easy to get there using other routes.) I drove in the Bay Area recently, and I found a fair number of drivers nasty, mean, not as much aggressive as intentionally vengeful. It's a very unpleasant dynamic.

I'm looking forward to being in Sacramento for a longer stay on my own turf, not in a relative's house. We are all so different, and what's appealing to one is a turn-off to another. I've been on various forums on c-d for 9 months as I search for a place to move, and that's one thing I've discovered. What makes one person love a place is what makes another person hate it. That's why I want to hear everyone's perspectives. Thanks!
You're welcome. And again, it's just an opinion. I can appreciate that you recognize it as such and don't take a personal offense to it.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem like people are more likely to not be swimming on a summer night than swimming, thus Sacramento summers (which generally cool off, as opposed to humid places where it stays pretty hoy) are better if you don't have a pool (since they apparently might get a slight chill getting out of the pool and it's only like 75 degrees out)?

Not so sure about drivers--I don't drive much, so everyone seems to drive badly to me, no matter what city--different cities seem to have different styles of bad driving, and people get confused because everyone gets used to their own city's bad driving, but don't know how to cope with the crazy driving of other cities. My preference--drive less, it's more relaxing.
New Mexico (Albuquerque) takes the award for worst drivers!

Old 06-22-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I'm curious, is there any other reason you looked at those states than economy?
Politics? rights? laws??

I spent many years in the Central San Joaquin Valley. SJV towns tend to lean more conservative so this may not be a good fit for you, plus the job market has less opportunities. Stockton is possibly the largest, and most diverse town that you mentioned, but it also has a high crime rate. The other towns are too small for your needs.

I would suggest living as close to your jobs as possible, as the traffic can get pretty congested. I'm from the country, so I hate the traffic, but you may have a much greater tolerance than I.

Well, I see you are fairly new here (19 posts). If you take a look around in any of the state/city forums, you'll find that these types of posts - why i left state/town "xyz" are rarely received well. They come across as crybaby/condescending posts. You aren't going to win anyone to your side with this attitude. If you want to make posts like this, I would suggest posting in the moving forum, not in a specific city/state forum. http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-moving-issues/

I found some examples of other crybaby posts, please read with an open mind and note the comparison to your post.
I hate Santa Barbara
I am SICK of the Ohio Valley!
Arizona is a terrible place, do not think about living here.

And despite your many protests, maybe you cant see it, but we do, you ARE comparing Tx to Sacramento.

Anyways, glad you are happy with your move.
1. "Well, I see you are fairly new here (19 posts). If you take a look around in any of the state/city forums, you'll find that these types of posts - why i left state/town "xyz" are rarely received well. They come across as crybaby/condescending posts. You aren't going to win anyone to your side with this attitude. If you want to make posts like this, I would suggest posting in the moving forum, not in a specific city/state forum."

I didn't know seniority was indicative of the degree of validity for one's post. I want to personally thank you for the additional ad hominem attack labeling my post as one that comes off as "cry baby". I also didn't know this was a competition where I would win anything.

2. "I found some examples of other crybaby posts, please read with an open mind and note the comparison to your post.
I hate Santa Barbara
I am SICK of the Ohio Valley!
Arizona is a terrible place, do not think about living here"

So you hate opinions. I get it.

3. "And despite your many protests, maybe you cant see it, but we do, you ARE comparing Tx to Sacramento."

Who is "we"? I wasn't comparing at all. Someone asked where I moved and I answered. The likely reason they asked where I moved to was so they could downplay the location I moved to in order to assure themselves that Sacramento is not as bad as I think.

4. "Anyways, glad you are happy with your move."

Bless your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento