Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2006, 09:00 AM

7 posts, read 24,407 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to the Sacramento area in late January or early February of next year. We are looking to rent for a year or so but don't have the first clue about where would be a good place to start looking. I have been trying to do my research online, but you can make any place look decent with a little photo shop!

Here is the situation. My husband will be commuting into Sacramento a couple days a week, but coming from the Seattle area we are used to the traffic. My son will be starting school soon so that is definitely a factor. We are looking to stay under $2,000 for rent per month.

We have been looking at rentals on craigslist and are interested in Folsom, Lincoln, Roseville, and Elk Grove. I would also like any thoughts/information on different areas of Sacramento.

Any help, thought, warnings, or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 01:25 PM

111 posts, read 275,696 times
If you can swing it, look for rent in El dorado Hills... its the nicest suburb of sacramento and its the next place east of Folosm, Folsom would be next,followed by roseville. All though as you go down the list the rentals may be cheaper, over all quality of life is best in el dorado hills followed by folsom.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:15 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,427,044 times
Where in Sacramento would you be commuting to would be my first question. You can pretty much find anywhere for rent on less than 2K around the area.

If you are doing the daily commute into Sacramento, I would suggest that you rethink Elk Grove. Elk Grove is a great place to live, but the traffic is beyond nightmarish doing that commute. I don't think you want to be commuting 3 hours a day.

Roseville/Rocklin traffic can be pretty bad too, but they are working on fixing it. There is a bottle neck where it goes from 10 lanes down to 6 right as you take I-80 into Roseville. Its not so much the going to work as the commute home (which I did for years).

Like I said, it really just depends on where in Sacramento you work. Sacramento is pretty spread out. Those commutes I talked about are if you really work downtown.

You might try looking into North Natomas as well. That is where I currently live. I grew up in Roseville, spent many years in Rocklin and have family all over the area. I have done my fair share in outside sales in the area too, so I am pretty familiar with it

When you are down here drive they routes that you are considering at commute time. It will give you an idea of what you are looking at for perspective of what you are familiar with now.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:07 PM

7 posts, read 24,407 times
Default Narrowing the search....

Thank you for the tips! We are starting to narrow down the search to the following:

Elk Grove
El Dorado Hills
Folsom
Lincoln

Any thought on these spots would be appreciated(ie.schools, crime, growth, general observations.....commute is not really a top factor).

Thank you in advance!

Old 12-17-2006, 08:56 AM

424 posts, read 2,697,423 times
Default Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Lincoln, Elk Grove

Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Lincoln are wonderful places to live. I think you wouldn't need to worry about any of them. El Dorado Hills has the best schools of the three (but they are all good) and has several elementary schools that have been State Distinguished Schools. But whichever city is best for your commute would be the best one.

I would look carefully at Elk Grove. Elk Grove is not a bad place to live, but it is the fastest growing city in the nation right now and is having growing pains. The crime rate has risen but the population has gone from something like 10,000 to 150,000 in the past few years. The rise in population has also caused the commute on Hwy. 99 to become a nightmare at peak hours. I'm not sure about the light rail from Elk Grove, but you can take the light rail from Folsom, which is the next city over from El Dorado Hills.

But back to Elk Grove. There are many homes to choose from and most are new and nice. Lots of stores and services in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento