Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 01:51 PM

122 posts, read 123,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
What about college fans? According to the college football fan map that made the rounds a few years ago, the Oregon Ducks are the most popular team in the Sacramento area. Is that accurate?

I love college football but the only Duck fan here I know went to U of O. Californians aren't big college football fans the way folks are in the Midwest or South or in Texas/Ok. Most people tend to root for where they or family went to school, which means mainly Stanford or Cal (UCD and CSUS don't get much TV time and seemingly garner relatively little attention from alums, plus CSUS is a commuter school, which seems to lessen general sports fan enthusiasm). My grandmother's maiden name was Saban so my loyalties lie somewhat southeast of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 08:38 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
What about college fans? According to the college football fan map that made the rounds a few years ago, the Oregon Ducks are the most popular team in the Sacramento area. Is that accurate?
Yes, there is a huge Duck fan contingent in Sacramento; probably more so than the Bears(Berkeley) or Stanford. Lots of Oregon State Fans as well.

There is like 2% or less fans of UCLA and USC.

Sacramento Metro is different than the rest of the state in that a big percent of Sac folks identify with and/or have connections with folks up North....as in connections with Chico, Redding, Shasta, and Oregon.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:59 PM

122 posts, read 123,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Yes, there is a huge Duck fan contingent in Sacramento; probably more so than the Bears(Berkeley) or Stanford. Lots of Oregon State Fans as well.

There is like 2% or less fans of UCLA and USC.

Sacramento Metro is different than the rest of the state in that a big percent of Sac folks identify with and/or have connections with folks up North....as in connections with Chico, Redding, Shasta, and Oregon.
I disagree - I know probably 20 Cal/Stanford fans and only 1 Oregon fan.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:54 AM

556 posts, read 788,064 times
Boise State

Old 08-01-2018, 01:56 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Sac is a whatever sports town.

I would say Kings, Warriors, Giants (their AAA team is Sac), and 49ers are the teams that dominate.

There is also the football rivalry between Sac State and UC Davis I think.

UoP in Stockton is the only college near Sac with a pretty strong basketball program.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:46 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
I spent many summer there growing up, and it’s always been the Kings, Giants, and 49ers, keep in mind the Raiders were in LA all those years. Whether it was the news report starting with the Giants, coverage in the Bee, or all my friends in the neighborhood, it was all about San Francisco. Even when the A’s were a much better team they seemed to be second fiddle.

I was there for the ‘89 series. I got suspended for a week and my reward was a greyhound ticket and hard labor with my uncle. Every flag, T-shirt, etc, I saw seemed to be for the Giants.

I saw a lot of civic pride with the Kings, I remember when they moved there and everyone was so excited to have a pro team of their own. I probably wasn’t much older than 10 when it happened, but I can vividly remember the buzz of their early years. It’s crazy thinking how there was nothing around Arco arena back when it was built. Besides summers, I spent many a Thanksgiving & Easter there too, I loved going to Arco arena for Kings games.

Maybe there’s some old Warriors fans as a poster mentioned, or things have changed as of late, but I never remember the Warriors having any love up there.

I can’t really comment on the Sharks, they were relatively new when I stopped going annually, and don’t remember much, if anything about them.

Let’s not forget the Gold Miners of the Canadian Football League. I went to a few of their games, super fun time. I still have a hat in my Mom’s storage.

I am surprised reading this thread there aren’t more A’s fans now, seeing the River Cats were their AAA affiliate for many years? I didn’t realize they switched to the Giants, makes sense though.

Despite having just one pro team, Sacramento is a great sports town. Unfortunately I think the Bay Area owners in the other sports will block any move or expansion to the city. Although I have family in Seattle, have spent a lot of time there as well, and lived there as a young kid, I’m glad the Kings stayed in Sacramento.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:22 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I spent many summer there growing up, and it’s always been the Kings, Giants, and 49ers, keep in mind the Raiders were in LA all those years. Whether it was the news report starting with the Giants, coverage in the Bee, or all my friends in the neighborhood, it was all about San Francisco. Even when the A’s were a much better team they seemed to be second fiddle.

I was there for the ‘89 series. I got suspended for a week and my reward was a greyhound ticket and hard labor with my uncle. Every flag, T-shirt, etc, I saw seemed to be for the Giants.

I saw a lot of civic pride with the Kings, I remember when they moved there and everyone was so excited to have a pro team of their own. I probably wasn’t much older than 10 when it happened, but I can vividly remember the buzz of their early years. It’s crazy thinking how there was nothing around Arco arena back when it was built. Besides summers, I spent many a Thanksgiving & Easter there too, I loved going to Arco arena for Kings games.

Maybe there’s some old Warriors fans as a poster mentioned, or things have changed as of late, but I never remember the Warriors having any love up there.

I can’t really comment on the Sharks, they were relatively new when I stopped going annually, and don’t remember much, if anything about them.

Let’s not forget the Gold Miners of the Canadian Football League. I went to a few of their games, super fun time. I still have a hat in my Mom’s storage.

I am surprised reading this thread there aren’t more A’s fans now, seeing the River Cats were their AAA affiliate for many years? I didn’t realize they switched to the Giants, makes sense though.

Despite having just one pro team, Sacramento is a great sports town. Unfortunately I think the Bay Area owners in the other sports will block any move or expansion to the city. Although I have family in Seattle, have spent a lot of time there as well, and lived there as a young kid, I’m glad the Kings stayed in Sacramento.

Warriors dominate the Sacramento region....Hell most of nor Cal.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:45 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Warriors dominate the Sacramento region....Hell most of nor Cal.
That wasn’t the case in the 1980’s & 1990’s. I’m guessing that wasn’t the case in the early 2000’s, or up until recently either, dominating the Sacramento region that is. I’ll give the Warriors the rest of NorCal, I would be surprised if you said otherwise.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:45 PM

248 posts, read 803,133 times
It's always been A's & Raiders in my house! Basketball , Hockey & Soccer are meh...

Old 08-02-2018, 12:41 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post

We still hate the Warriors, Lol, the few warriors fans we have are all BAH AREAAAAA transplants, and they are fair weather fans.

We love our River Cats, always a great time, the stadium is awesome, prices are cheap, easy in and easy out; you walk or ride your bike to the Stadium easily, and easily accessible by light rail. Since, 2000, for the first 10-15 years they have had the largest attendance, and the most sold out games of all the AAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento