Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 12:02 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,144,384 times

Advertisements

I'm assuming of course everyone roots for the Kings. (Although if I know anything about sports fans there must be a lot of bandwagon Warriors fans too). But in the other sports does everyone root for the Bay Area teams? And is there any preference for East Bay teams like the A's and Raiders or does that make no difference? I know in New York people on Long Island are often Mets fans as Queens is closer and people in southern Chicago suburbs are White Sox fans because it's closer to the South Side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 12:50 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,262,159 times
At one time, and it still may be the case, there were more SF Giants season ticket holders from Sacramento than any other Bay Area city besides SF.

Having said that, the A's have always been popular in Sacramento as well; probably 2/3 Giants fans vs. 1/3 A's fans.

Regarding football, I'm pretty sure it is an even split between the Raiders and 49ers.

Also there have always been a fair share of Sacramentans that have never been fans of any of Bay Area teams, instead they are fans for some other city, like Green Bay, Cowboys, Dodgers, and Lakers.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:06 PM

740 posts, read 455,944 times
My parents didn't watch sports so there was no team influence from home. The teams I picked to root for where just out of luck and coincidence.

The team that happens to be play on TV every time I turned on the TV as a kid, it was the 49ers. Somehow, it just stuck and been a fan ever since. Thank God, it wasn't the Raiders.

In 6th grade class, we had to do an essay/report on careers. I ended up doing my paper on NBA careers. The guy I ended up writing about was Magic Johnson. It stuck. Been a Lakers fan ever since.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:06 PM

422 posts, read 396,248 times
9errrrsssssssss

Old 07-01-2018, 10:32 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,112 times
49ers reign supreme.

the giants are by far the most popular baseball team

it's probably a split between the warriors and kings, although more people rep the warriors more. (and rightfully so)

no one really gives a rip about hockey but the sharks are the de facto team.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:04 PM

20 posts, read 22,753 times
SF Giants are pretty popular in Sacramento and many NorCal areas. I also became a Sacramento River Cats (minor league baseball) fan when I lived in the area. My mom used to love going to Kings games. There is also a large 49'ers fan base in the area, although Raiders fans are not unheard of. Of course, there are always going to be some folks out there that are LA Dodgers, Angels, or Lakers fans. In my time in the Sac area I would also on occasion run into people from Arizona who were Diamondbacks and Phoenix Suns fans.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:10 PM

122 posts, read 123,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
I'm assuming of course everyone roots for the Kings. (Although if I know anything about sports fans there must be a lot of bandwagon Warriors fans too). But in the other sports does everyone root for the Bay Area teams? And is there any preference for East Bay teams like the A's and Raiders or does that make no difference? I know in New York people on Long Island are often Mets fans as Queens is closer and people in southern Chicago suburbs are White Sox fans because it's closer to the South Side.

For many of us who were born in the 60's. the Warriors are the team, just as much as 49ers/Raiders or Giants/A's. No Kings back then. I remember going to Rick Barry basketball camp when I was 10.

We had 49ers season tickets, but we would listen to the Raiders on the way home (their games always seemed to go later) as Bill King would broadcast the exciting heroics of Lamonica or Blanda!

Also, starting in the 90's, many of us became Sharks fans.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:25 AM

556 posts, read 788,157 times
I’m an A’s fan and despise the giants. I’ve never been a basketball fan and never liked the kings and have stated to family members I’ll stop ragging on them when they bring home a ring. I used to like the River Cats until they became a giants affiliate. The rivercats are in the cellar as usual, and they won championships when the A’s were their parent club. I was a raiders fan until they went to LA. Go A’s go Miami Dolphins.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:22 AM

764 posts, read 2,036,300 times
We are diehard A's fans at my house. There's definitely a large A's fanbase here, but the Giants fans probably outnumber us.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:35 PM

530 posts, read 820,776 times
What about college fans? According to the college football fan map that made the rounds a few years ago, the Oregon Ducks are the most popular team in the Sacramento area. Is that accurate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento