Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2018, 12:09 PM

6 posts, read 6,557 times

Advertisements

I was looking at one of the Lennar NextGen homes in a newer part of Rancho, towards Anatolia, where there is a new Raley's and shopping area with restaurants and what not. They are large homes at around 3400 sq feet, with a front courtyard, 3 car garage (1 space is for the private suite's car, with a separate entrance into the same garage space) with a separate, but connected private 1bdrm suite with its own kitchen, living room, bath and stacked laundry. There is a sliding glass door from the private suite into the backyard. I was thinking it could be a good candidate to rent out if I kept the garage off limits and made off street parking on the driveway available, and put up a divider fence between the main yard and the private suite's yard.

I think $800-900 per month for one's own private suite like that wouldn't be an unreasonable rent, and it would mean I could live in a much larger house with more rooms and what not.

I currently live in Folsom and Rancho certainly ain't Folsom.

The sticking points are: I currently live in Folsom and Rancho certainly ain't Folsom. The schools may not be as competitive, and there are some sketchy parts of Rancho. I'm not sure how that newer parts of Rancho will do long-term in terms of crime, water quality, traffic congestion, and ease of rentability of the private suite at the minimum rent I'd be looking to offer it at.

I went to that new Raley's area and it seems that by 5pm I see a good amount of traffic there.. and the shopping area seems poorly designed and hard to navigate through especially when there is a lot of activity going on.

Since there's no HOA, I wonder how the area will hold up its condition over time also, and how crime may look. I like the peace of mind of living in Folsom, although it's not perfect. Just wouldn't want to get into a worse situation moving to Rancho.

Anyone live in or is familiar with that new area and could provide some feedback? Or anyone with experience renting out a private, yet connected 1bdrm suite in their home who can share the pros and cons of doing so?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 02:20 PM

556 posts, read 788,879 times
That area is less than 10 miles from the rendering plant.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:48 PM

rendering plant?

Old 09-15-2018, 10:50 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
I've been there quite a bit the past decade plus, and the smell is often horrible in the early evening hours.

As a bonus, the massive county dump is only a few miles to the east of there.

You also have a couple of miles of junk yards lining both sides of Sunrise Blvd, between Douglas and International Drive.

Also, I'd be careful about moving to that area, the homeowner maintenance isn't quite as good as we see in Folsom, not by a long shot. You get a lot of house for the money, but there is a reason for that.

https://fox40.com/2017/07/31/some-ne...is-it-harmful/

Old 09-16-2018, 10:47 AM

Thanks - I will stay away. Not worth it!

Old 09-19-2018, 11:53 AM

740 posts, read 457,226 times
My wife work in that area. We commute. Been driving through that area every single working day for 2 years now. Oh, the stench is unbearable and that is with our windows up driving through that area.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:20 PM

152 posts, read 232,563 times
Haha yep, that rendering plant! I worked in the Anatolia area quite a bit some years ago and I remember being at a homeowners house one day and asked how he liked the rendering plant being so close and the smell. He didn't even know it was there! He thought the smell was just some marshy area near his house that got yucky. When I told him about the rendering plant he had a look of shock on his face, like he just realized what he'd been inhaling all that time.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:54 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,150,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefancasadine View Post
I was looking at one of the Lennar NextGen homes in a newer part of Rancho, towards Anatolia, where there is a new Raley's and shopping area with restaurants and what not. They are large homes at around 3400 sq feet, with a front courtyard, 3 car garage (1 space is for the private suite's car, with a separate entrance into the same garage space) with a separate, but connected private 1bdrm suite with its own kitchen, living room, bath and stacked laundry. There is a sliding glass door from the private suite into the backyard. I was thinking it could be a good candidate to rent out if I kept the garage off limits and made off street parking on the driveway available, and put up a divider fence between the main yard and the private suite's yard.

I think $800-900 per month for one's own private suite like that wouldn't be an unreasonable rent, and it would mean I could live in a much larger house with more rooms and what not.

I currently live in Folsom and Rancho certainly ain't Folsom.

The sticking points are: I currently live in Folsom and Rancho certainly ain't Folsom. The schools may not be as competitive, and there are some sketchy parts of Rancho. I'm not sure how that newer parts of Rancho will do long-term in terms of crime, water quality, traffic congestion, and ease of rentability of the private suite at the minimum rent I'd be looking to offer it at.

I went to that new Raley's area and it seems that by 5pm I see a good amount of traffic there.. and the shopping area seems poorly designed and hard to navigate through especially when there is a lot of activity going on.

Since there's no HOA, I wonder how the area will hold up its condition over time also, and how crime may look. I like the peace of mind of living in Folsom, although it's not perfect. Just wouldn't want to get into a worse situation moving to Rancho.

Anyone live in or is familiar with that new area and could provide some feedback? Or anyone with experience renting out a private, yet connected 1bdrm suite in their home who can share the pros and cons of doing so?

Thanks!
If you're happy in Folsom... stay. If you can afford a house in or near Anatolia you should be able to buy a decent property in Folsom. This area of Rancho Cordova is not the bargain it once was.

I live in Anatolia and it's the first I've heard anyone have issues with traffic at the local Raleys.The traffic pales in comparison to the shopping centers in other areas including Folsom simply because the density of retail is nowhere near the level it is in other areas.

If you buy a house north of Douglas the attendance boundaries lie within the Folsom Cordova School District and kids will attend schools in Rancho not Folsom. I view that as a negative. South of Douglas Road however Anatolia, Kavala Ranch, Sunridge Park and the neighborhoods under construction such as Montelena and Ciara at Anatolia are served by the Elk Grove School District. There are now two (Robert McGarvey just opened) K-6 schools in the area and both are in Anatolia. Sunrise Elementary is a high performing K-6 school.

Based on the comparison below Sunrise Elementary test scores (76% reading and 69% math) are comparable to Oak Chan Elementary test scores in Folsom (71% reading and 67% math).

https://www.niche.com/k12/sunrise-el...ho-cordova-ca/

I think the newer areas in Rancho are decent in appearance...

Sacramento Suburbs Shabby? Views of Rancho Cordova
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento