Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2022, 11:33 AM

400 posts, read 449,485 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me the first town with significant snow fall on I-80 closest to Sacramento? I'm guessing it's between Colfax and Blue Canyon but can't locate an exact spot.

By "significant" I mean like 40"+ annually.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 10:30 PM

746 posts, read 495,445 times
Alta gets a little snow, well the second exit in Alta gets a bit more but the first town which gets significant snow is Blue Canyon also known as Emigrant Gap. Alta kids go to Colfax Elementary and Colfax High School.There are a few exits near Emigrant Gap. The homes are cheaper in Emigrant Gap. Go up just 1-2 exits to Kingsvale and Soda Springs and they are million dollar+ homes. Alta kids go to Colfax Elementary and Colfax High School.

Alta has a fantastic church so you may want to check them out.

You can also check out Sierra City, CA which gets a ton of snow each year. It's located about 1 hr 15 min from Truckee off I-80 and the homes are less expensive. With kids, it can get lonely in Sierra City though and many homeschool thru Forest Charter School in Truckee, CA. Otherwise they go to school in Downieville.

Another town you. may want to check out is Iowa Hill CA.It's 30 min from Colfax which is on Interstate 80. It gets some snow, the entire town is off Grid so the homes are cheaper. It's so freeing to be out there. Great hiking, the American River is 20 min away, camping, Sugar Pine Reservoir. There is the Iowa Hill school which is solar powered but will only come into operation when the town gets 6+ kids total. So better bring your friends and the.ir kids and plan on one of the Moms being the Teachers Aide for half the da. You can also check out Foresthill, certain areas out there get a ton of snow, some great churches, good schools and enough kids to keep everyone happy. Not sure about healthcare jobs though, there probably isn't any except maybe traveling nurses.

I would try to live in Verdi NV if it were me, or in that area. And if CALIF pays more, send your wife over the boarder into Truckee to work at the Hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento