Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:34 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Wikipedia is not your friend. Have you ever read their racial stats? The numbers add up to over 100%+.
Use simple math and look at the stats for roseville:Latino 14.6, Black 2, Asian-Pacific Islander 8.7, Other races 4.3%, 2 or more races 5%, Native American .7 = 35% Minority. So again, you can try to spin it all you want, but it is not statistically possible for Roseville to be 71% white. -Unless you are counting some latinos, middle easterns, and mixed race as "white".
The US Census does consider folks from the Middle East to be white, yes--and Latinos can be white or non-white. "Latino" is considered an ethnicity tracked separately from "race." So to find the percentage non-Latino whites, you subtract the percentage of Latino whites from the total percentage of whites, which, in Roseville's case, gives you 71%.

And of course most of Midtown's patrons are white--about half of them are from outside the central city, visiting from sleepier, whiter places like Roseville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 10:48 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
News to me that vanilla has racial connotations at all, let alone obvious ones. And is Arden Fair stuggling? I don't keep up on the latest happenings of malls, but it's always seemed busy when I've been subjected to it.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:57 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Maybe NorCal Dude is a Parliament/Funkadelic fan?

Chocolate cities and vanilla suburbs...nowadays things are a bit more 31 Flavors, but Roseville is at most a little butterscotch on the side.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:25 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
News to me that vanilla has racial connotations at all, let alone obvious ones. .
It's okay, not everyone can catch the obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The US Census does consider folks from the Middle East to be white, yes--and Latinos can be white or non-white. "Latino" is considered an ethnicity tracked separately from "race." So to find the percentage non-Latino whites, you subtract the percentage of Latino whites from the total percentage of whites, which, in Roseville's case, gives you 71%.

And of course most of Midtown's patrons are white--about half of them are from outside the central city, visiting from sleepier, whiter places like Roseville.

Like I said before, if you are trying to count people whos ancestory came from Latin America or the Middle East as white, then sure. But most people don't and consider them seperate. US census already takes this into account, which is why it shows 35% of the population is something other than white. Whether or not you accept this makes no difference to me.

And people from the suburbs partonize midtown because midtown got gentrified by people from the suburbs. Before suburbanites fixed the neighborhood up, it was left for dead. It was filled with hookers, johns, and grubby looking people with tats...and no one cared about it (much less the people there). But birds of a feather flock together and now people see the neighborhood as worth patronizing (which is good, because it's not like any tourist from the bay or portland would dare bother with midtown).

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 03-18-2012 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-18-2012, 10:53 AM

7 posts, read 12,228 times
Hey, I heard Sammy Hagar is opening a Mexican restaurant in Roseville. That will add more diversity to Roseville (that Mid-Town is so sorely lacking)!

Roseville RAWKS!

Old 03-18-2012, 11:46 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSack View Post
Hey, I heard Sammy Hagar is opening a Mexican restaurant in Roseville. That will add more diversity to Roseville (that Mid-Town is so sorely lacking)!

Roseville RAWKS!
I don't think it's mexican, just a theme restaurant like "Joes Crab Shack" in old sac or "The Hard Rock Cafe", that sat on the grid.

I don't really think anyone had diversity in mind on that one. Probaby more an issue of turning a defunct building into a source of tax revenue regardless of taste. Kind of like the globe mills projects and such that happen in central sac.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:34 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Maybe NorCal Dude is a Parliament/Funkadelic fan?

Chocolate cities and vanilla suburbs...nowadays things are a bit more 31 Flavors, but Roseville is at most a little butterscotch on the side.
Hmm, vanilla with butterscotch.

Oh wait, I mean I'm shocked. Vanilla with melted brown sugar on the side!

Old 03-18-2012, 02:51 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I don't think it's mexican, just a theme restaurant like "Joes Crab Shack" in old sac or "The Hard Rock Cafe", that sat on the grid.

I don't really think anyone had diversity in mind on that one. Probaby more an issue of turning a defunct building into a source of tax revenue regardless of taste. Kind of like the globe mills projects and such that happen in central sac.
His post was in jest. Don't think you got it.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:28 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
[quote=wburg;23431858]
Quote:

And a coldness towards strangers is an adaptation you kind of pick up in any place with a lot of people--and if you are the one trying not to make eye contact with the disheveled person on 20th and J, it sounds like you're the one who has become cold, but are perhaps not so happy about it. The tendency of people, especially in crowd situations, to ignore someone in crisis or not help (until someone steps out first) is universal and pretty well-documented. I find the suburbs a little less comfortable in that respect, and Midtown moreso, but perhaps that comfort is due to personal familiarity rather than a difference in people's behavior?
No, actually, my behavior is not cold, it's wise. Especially after being following by one of these drunken, disheveled, mentally ill folks one night leaving my former place of business. He followed a coworker & I across J St, through a long parking lot, to our parking lot. Not sure what his intentions were, except that he did try to get really close to us, while fumbling with his pants and he did get very upset when we started yelling at him to leave us alone. We were able to escape without any harm except the dents in our vehicle from him hitting our car. I suppose that was cold for us to ignore him in the first place.

There's a huge difference between applying wisdom and helping someone truly in need. Since we don't know each other, I can understand your lumping everyone into the same general catagory of not helping other people. I don't fall into the catagory you are describing. And I don't have a need to prove it to you

Last edited by caligirlz; 03-18-2012 at 11:37 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
I don't really have an agenda on diversity, except in whatever makes a place interesting. E.g., I don't care whether or not there are Asians nearby, but I appreciate when they open up places like Shoki or Chada Thai. I don't care about if all the people at my local dive bar are white, because it's still a hugely diverse group of people.

Anyway, I guess this will just be more fuel for the fire, but SacBee's recent interactive on diversity by zip code was pretty interesting: Interactive: See Sacramento region's most, least diverse communities - Data Center - The Sacramento Bee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento