Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:57 PM
pba pba started this thread

410 posts, read 917,177 times

Advertisements

I mean really....it's turned into a common name to call any neighborhood that is even 1% less than what someone would personally describe as 'ideal'.

It dates back to the Nazi era when the Jews were isolated into the 'Ghettos' and subsequently masacred. Obviously parts of Sacramento aren't THAT bad.

South Central Los Angeles comes to mind as a modern-day ghetto type of a place but with over 100,000 gang members it's no wonder. Again, Sacramento isn't THAT bad.

Some people in this forum have said that all of Sacramento is 'ghetto' with only a few bright spots but what exactly does that mean? It might help if people could be more descriptive in their writing so they can show exactly what they mean and how they feel. Just because one person had one bad experience (or more than likely they heard from a friend about a bad experience they had) doesn't mean that the entire area is a problem....there are such things as being at the wrong place at wrong time.

Now by no means am I saying Sacramento doesn't have high crime areas that I definitely try to avoid but it's just the term 'ghetto' that I'm having a problem with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 08:04 PM

74 posts, read 357,658 times
Great point! I have nothing more to add.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:17 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,698,457 times
You are so right

Each person sees different things. I remember living in Midtown and I had people from my work worried about me because I lived (they's make a face) "Downtown"!! And I felt totally secure there.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:31 PM

141 posts, read 646,506 times
Ghetto is a slang term that is used commonly among young people and it does have a specific meaning in this context: basically a person who lives an illicit lifestyle, is into the hip hop scene, wears baggy clothes, talks using a lot of slang, usually does or deals drugs, uneducated, etc, this is what they are referring to.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:21 PM

74 posts, read 357,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickca View Post
Ghetto is a slang term that is used commonly among young people and it does have a specific meaning in this context: basically a person who lives an illicit lifestyle, is into the hip hop scene, wears baggy clothes, talks using a lot of slang, usually does or deals drugs, uneducated, etc, this is what they are referring to.
I think the definition is understood...its overuse is the issue.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 AM

43 posts, read 193,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth26 View Post
I think the definition is understood...its overuse is the issue.

I disagree. Ok...maybe Sac town is just hood. Not ghetto. But yeah really. Sacra is ghetto.

It's all interpretations, I guess. We all would agree what a red traffic light is (I hope...), but not what ghetto is. ?

I mentioned a definition and others did too. Sac fits it really good from what I see and have seen.

To say Sacramento is NOT ghetto would be totally wrong. I can't see how others would think different.

If Sac isn't ghetto than what is it? Cosmopolitan? Utopic? A fashion capital? A farm community?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,543,606 times
Ghetto is an image you have in your head. If an area looks run-down, old, poorly maintained, has booming car stereos at half the intersections, and has people walking down the street whose appearance makes them look as if they could be gang affiliated, then people usually automatically think ghetto. It doesn't even have to have all of these elements, just one or two. Some people simply refer to any place that doesn't look upper middle class as ghetto.

The house we lived in 4 years ago in San Jose was in a semi-ghetto area - not all the neighbors took much pride in the appearance of their home. We had the occasional booming system drive by at any given time of day, and you'd see young men at the grocery store that you probably wouldn't want your children hanging around with just based on the way they carried themselves. We were planning to start a family and wanted our kid(s) to grow up in a nicer area, so we moved away.

What's your image of ghetto?

Old 08-12-2008, 11:08 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,698,457 times
Fillip - WHERE in Sacramento is Ghetto? YOu can not mean the WHOLE Sac Valley! Is Folsom Ghetto? Is El Dorado Hills Ghetto? Granite Bay? Auburn? Grass Valley? Lincoln?

Or are you spending most of your time around Florin Road? Meadowview?

Those of us that live in the Sac Valley and feel it's not Ghetto, say away from the proven Ghetto areas.

Sacramento can be a lovely place to live.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:01 PM

43 posts, read 193,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Fillip - WHERE in Sacramento is Ghetto? YOu can not mean the WHOLE Sac Valley! Is Folsom Ghetto? Is El Dorado Hills Ghetto? Granite Bay? Auburn? Grass Valley? Lincoln?

Or are you spending most of your time around Florin Road? Meadowview?

Those of us that live in the Sac Valley and feel it's not Ghetto, say away from the proven Ghetto areas.

Sacramento can be a lovely place to live.

Yes Sacramento can be..."lovely".... No I'm NOT spending most of my time around Florin Rd. Meadowview. (let's not forget Del paso heights, Oak park...)

Look at my post here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...y-place-6.html

When I say Sacramento I MEAN Sacramento. Not the Sac valley. Not El Dorado County. Not Placer county. Not Davis. Etc.

THE CITY OF SACRAMENTO. And the communties thereof in SACRAMENTO COUNTY.
THAT'S Sacramento. Not anywhere else.

I know some people don't like wikipedia but look here at the red highlighted part of the included map.

This is the area I'm talking about. Again. THE CITY OF SACRAMENTO.
Sacramento, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also look at the communties on the right. The areas in SACRAMENTO COUNTY.
Communities and Cities, Sacramento County, California, USA

and while yer at it..look at my post here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...y-place-6.html

Old 08-12-2008, 03:20 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Ghetto is over-used period. Here in the New York city/Long Island area unfortunately it has become rather popular by a lot sheltered suburban people, mostly White (just calling it how I see it) to call any neighborhood with "minorities," a ghetto, even in cases where the neighborhood doesn't qualify at all.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 08-12-2008 at 03:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento