Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2007, 05:22 AM

2 posts, read 8,000 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband may soon be getting transferred to the modesto area. We have 2 small children, so are definitely interested in really good schools, as well as safety. We'll probably look for a newer neighborhood where we can meet other families with young children. We're looking in the $550-$700 range. From the research I've done so far, Turlock and Tracy both seem like nice towns. My husband doesn't mind a little bit of a commute (45 minutes or less). We were also looking at Elk Grove, but that seems a little far from Modesto. I was also wondering about Mountain House...
Any comparison of Turlock & Tracy, and/or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We're on the east coast, so this is foreign land to us! Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 10:29 AM

396 posts, read 972,458 times
I don't know much about Turlock, but I live in Tracy. Tracy is a very nice town, but it isn't small anymore. The population is about 80,000 now. Some of the areas are new and nicer, some of the areas are older and run down. Same with the schools. Tracy is probably about a 40 minute commute to Modesto. Mountain House is about 5 -10 minutes further from Modesto but Mountain House is much newer, but also much more expensive. Mountain House is a new town that is still in the process of being built. They have their own elementary schools (one right now with a 2nd opening this fall), but I believe they still use Tracy for their middle and high school. There isn't much in the way of anything else in Mountain House yet, no stores, etc. You have to drive into Tracy for most of it. Like I said, the town is still being built.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:38 PM

4 posts, read 20,129 times
Hey there! I could tell you alot about Turlock. I am originally from there, and lived their all of my life until after high school. I moved to the bay area and visit Turlock about every weekend. Seems like all of the home sales I do are back home to family members.

This is what I could tell you about the home prices. Right now, for your price range you can get a VERY VERY nice home. Nicer than the Tracy area I would say. I went to Turlock High, which is a good school. There is also a Univeristy there, Cal State Stanislaus!!

Its a smaller town, but bigger than Tracy. The commute to Modesto would be about 15 to 20 minutes, which is pretty close. Modesto is where the local Mall is, and many restuarnts and shopping areas. Turlock has a good side and a bad side I would say. The Univeristy side....is the better side.

There is also a brand new high school there called Pitman High which if your kids are of that age, would love to go to. Its beautiful.

There are a few builders that you have a choice from in choosing your home. Theres Morrison Homes, Rosewalk by hmm I cant remember that builders name, Legends homes and one other.

I recently had a client who was selling his home, and sold it for just under 7K
it was a 6 bedroom home, it was absolutely gorgeous.

You can still move to Tracy though, but I would say you would have much nicer home in Turlock.

Last I checked I seen a brand new home built in 2007 for 290,000 (3 bed/3 bath). It was on the not so liked side of town, but it was over 2000 sq feet...and barely finished being built!

Hope all of this information helped!!

Aman D.
Realtor

Old 07-16-2007, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,440 times
Kids in school and Tracy don't mix in my opinion. I raised my kids here but wouldn't do it now. If you're considering the area.... get the kids into one of the country schools. They have outperformed the city schools for generations and are the only ones I'd even consider. Get the schools annual reports and compare them. It's frightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento