Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 11:49 PM

31 posts, read 156,793 times

Advertisements

I'm a single guy that just bought a house in Roseville. I like the area a lot, I feel comfortable there as I am a pretty easy going and conservative guy that drives a pickup truck.

What are some things I should look into doing for fun there? I'm not from Sacramento orginally and have lived downtown for a few years although that absolutely did not feel like home. I'm getting to know Roseville better now that I'm fixing up my new house, but I still don't entirely know what's there.

Also, I'm Christian but not extremely religious, so church-based activities are okay but not great for me ... I plan on going to a church once I actually move in, but for activities I'd rather do things where I don't have to worry about watching my language or getting a religious lecture.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 01:54 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,894,436 times
I would focus on the things that interest you and then do those activities.

I tend to like athletic women who like to do stuff so things I would probably check out if I was new to the area and wanted to meet someone would include some of the trips planned by Peak Adventures, Outdoor Adventures and the Aquatic Center.

Welcome to UC Davis Campus Recreation - Outdoor Adventures

ASI Peak Adventures

ASI Aquatic Center

The REI in Roseville also should sponsor some trips and I think that might be worth checking out. I would also check out some of the trips put together by the sierra club singles.

Sierra Club Singles

If you like running, biking or triathalons you might check out the Wheelman, Buffalo Chips or the Sacramento Triathlon Club.

Sacramento Wheelmen Bicycling Club
Buffalo Chips Running Club
Sacramento Triathlon Club – Sacramento, CA

It might also be worthwhile to actually check out the singles group at Bayside. The group is big enough where it sponsors a bunch of different levels of activities, some of which might be fun. It is also big enough where it draws people of differing levels of religious commitment. While you can find people strongly committed to church, you can also find people who have much lower levels of religious commitment as well. The Bayside Church in Granite Bay tends to have lot of educated professional women and some were pretty cute. I wouldn't blow it off with out at least checking it first.

Bayside Church – Granite Bay, Ca

Lastly I would look and see if there are any meetup groups that interest you. Generally the people playing ulimate frisbee were pretty fun.

Horseback riding classes tend to be overwhelmingly female and most of them are Republican. Horse shows are strongly republican and generally loaded with females with money who own horses.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,751 times
Drink at local bars. Go to midtown. Go to SF.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:03 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,781,797 times
Downtown Roseville actually has pretty good nightlife, and is a fun area. There are a ton of outdoorsy things to do within a few hours drive. Go to the lake on hot summer days. Denios can be fun.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:03 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPatriot View Post
I'm a single guy that just bought a house in Roseville. I like the area a lot, I feel comfortable there as I am a pretty easy going and conservative guy that drives a pickup truck.

What are some things I should look into doing for fun there? I'm not from Sacramento orginally and have lived downtown for a few years although that absolutely did not feel like home. I'm getting to know Roseville better now that I'm fixing up my new house, but I still don't entirely know what's there.

Also, I'm Christian but not extremely religious, so church-based activities are okay but not great for me ... I plan on going to a church once I actually move in, but for activities I'd rather do things where I don't have to worry about watching my language or getting a religious lecture.

Thanks.

In good ol' Roseville? You'd probably have more fun sitting on your couch, drinking a beer and watching NASCAR.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 PM

More fun Than going to a bar and talking to the beautiful ladies of Roseville? You must have a nice couch.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:02 PM

31 posts, read 156,793 times
Thanks for the suggestions, pretty good stuff so far. I'm thinking about checking out Bayside but I'm not sure if I'd actually want to hang out with them.

I like some of the outdoors suggestions. Is the lake Folsom Lake? Is it a fun place to hang out? Is there fishing around there? Do cute girls hang out there? I'll check out the bars in downtown Roseville too.

And sitting on my couch, having a beer and watching NASCAR is fun but I'm looking for things to do outside my house haha.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 PM

Yes folsom lake is pretty much the beacon for water activity in the area, that and the American river. This drought really has kind of taken some of the luster away how ever. Lots of cute girls in bikinis. I live in Granite Bay and often go into Roseville, I would check out Midtown on the week ends too. They have a nice scene over there.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:28 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,894,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPatriot View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, pretty good stuff so far. I'm thinking about checking out Bayside but I'm not sure if I'd actually want to hang out with them.

I like some of the outdoors suggestions. Is the lake Folsom Lake? Is it a fun place to hang out? Is there fishing around there? Do cute girls hang out there? I'll check out the bars in downtown Roseville too.

And sitting on my couch, having a beer and watching NASCAR is fun but I'm looking for things to do outside my house haha.
I believe in a shotgun approach to meeting people. Try a bunch of different activities and see what works.

Bayside sponsors a bunch of different activities. Since you have some reservations about going to Bayside, try out one of the activities that they sponsor that most appeals to you and see how that works. Also remember trying something out doesn't mean a permanent commitment. It just means checking it out and seeing if its something that appeals to you. You don't have to go back if it doesn't work out.

If the running, biking, horseback riding or triathlon stuff is too much, you might try out yoga. That is another activity that tends to have a disproportionate number of fit women with very few men.

I have met a lot people playing mixed doubles tennis at Rio Del Oro. That was a crowd that tended to be fairly successful and republican as well. I imagine that it works the same way Johnson Ranch Racquet Club. Its a little more pricey than say 24 Hour Fitness, but that generally helps to screen out the dumb people.

Johnson Ranch Racquet Club - Membership Information - Roseville, California

Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,275,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_deathrage View Post
I believe in a shotgun approach to meeting people.
Speaking of shotguns...a trip to the range can be a good place to meet friends of similar mindset.

Unfortunately Sacramento doesn't have a trapshooting club anymore, they demolished it to give the land to a car dealership. Cordova Shooting Center is kind of a drive from Roseville or Sacramento, but they have great pistol, rifle and shotgun ranges.

Welcome to Cordova Shooting Center.com

Sadly the old "guns & liquor" store on Riverside is long gone, but there is still an old-fashioned gun store on Vernon Street in Old Roseville that might be worth a visit if the OP is a fan of the 2nd Amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento