Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:11 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalina View Post
Oh no, all of these things to worry about that I never even thought of! Lead and mold and grounding, oh my!

The home in Tahoe Park was built in 1953, but has been kept up very well and has obviously been painted very recently. Does that matter, or is the lead paint underneath and can cause problems that way?

About electrical: Is there a way to take the plug cover off, do something easy with the wires, and create a grounding? (Like a kit that my husband, a non-electrician, could do?)
Here is the link to the EPA Lead Booklet... I provide a copy to my prospective renters. http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/leadpdfe.pdf

Basically, the problem is ingestion that can cause high lead levels in the blood... children are more susceptible to ingesting paint chips.

Keeping the painted surfaces in good repair with no chipping paint is the first step....

It's kind of ironic, because only high quality paint contained lead... it made the paint very durable...

Some homes built in the 1950's have junction boxes that are grounded with a bare copper wire... if you have it, you can buy a grounding pigtail with screw for about a dollar or less to connect a new grounded outlet to the grounded junction box the receptacle screws to... and then test with an inexpensive receptacle tester...

As with knob and tube... the bare copper box grounds are easily damaged from remodeling and/or adding additional outlets...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 02:47 AM

7 posts, read 13,679 times
Hey there I live in Tahoe Park proper it is Sacramento's undiscovered jewel. It is affordable it was originally established in the 1930's some of the original owners still live here. It is mostly power singles, families and elderly. The neighborhood is younger than when I grew up here, but almost all residents own their own homes so there is a great deal of pride of community and home. It has a very active neighborhood association. I would look into "Tahoe Park Proper" this is the official Tahoe Park other neighborhoods that surround near Tahoe Park are not. Tahoe Park East, Tahoe Park South, Tahoe Terrace, and West Tahoe Park. A lot of homes have been updated as this was becoming a booming area as far as real estate was concerned at least it was before the economic slump. The Park is nice and very safe. However one draw back is that it can become impacted with people from the surrounding areas who find it a safer, nicer, better kept park than the parks in their own neighborhoods. However Tahoe Park's improvement are continuing and improving. All that needs to be put in place is permits for residents of Tahoe Park Proper and metered parking for visitors outside of the area. Of course the street parking would be off limits to non-residents within park hours. Tahoe park residents are very active and take pride in their neighborhood. SOoo welcome to Tahoe Park!

Tahoe Park, Sacramento, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,360 times
I agree that many times Tahoe Park label is used to encompass areas that are definitely not Tahoe Park,
Tahoe Park proper is the "dog leg" of East Saramento Its boundaries are Highway 50 and Broadway (starting at 57th street) to the north, 14th avenue to the south, 53rd and 57th to the west and 65th street to the east.

Tahoe Park proper should not be confused with Tahoe Park West which is close to DMV and Stockton Blvd. or with Tahoe Park East which encompasses Hiram Johnson High School, a soon to open Target store and many other business.

Tahoe Park proper has lots of trees. a lovely park and pool with a Boccie Ball area, Friendly streets for just strolling, pushing the baby stroller, dog walking or bicycling. Tahoe Park has neighbors who can usually be found working in their front yard gardens ready to wave a friendly HELLO. Pride of ownership is very evident.

Tahoe Park was one of the first neighborhood after Boulevard Park area to embrace people of other lifestyles.

Crime is very, very minimal most residents tend to be middle to upper middle class economically speaking.
Tahoe Park has always been a well kept secret.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:43 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,262,159 times
Tahoe Park is great. I am a home owner and I live very close to the Park. Tahoe Park is basically just like the Curtis Park, Land Park or McKinley Park neighborhoods with smaller and less expensive homes. It borders East Sac and feels very much like East Sac. I always have had great neighbors: young couples with toddlers, active and retired school teachers who teach in Elk Grove but prefer to live here; nice young and older gay couples. Tahoe Park is mostly white, but a great mix of latinos and asians; surprisingly very few african americans. Lots of people who work downtown/midtown. If you work in the downtown/midtown/UC Med Center/Sac State/Howe Ave area its a great-very short commute by car. Light Rail is at 59th street and S Streets. Its not too far to ride a bike into downtown/midtown. Coming soon a New Target at 65th street and Broadway.
Sac Foods/Coop, Trader Joes and Corti Bros - great alternative grocery shopping.
Tahoe Park is heavily used all times of the day. Everyone seems to be respectful and follows the rules. Big picnic style bbq parties every weekend where people from outside the area come-in, but they tend to be respectful of the neighbors and not too loud.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:02 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,405 times
The upside of Tahoe Park is you can get an East Sacramento (north of Folsom Blvd) style house, often redone, for considerably less cash. (I live in Tahoe Park). All of the comments posted here are more or less straight on, we do have some shady characters driving through all the time - south of 14th Ave, it can get pretty sketchy but with foreclosures on subprimes growing in the area, I suspect the long-term future of the neighborhood is good - people will be buying those houses that can actually afford the mortgages and have a stake in keeping the neighborhood nice.

We've actually got *excellent* police coverage in the area... not only Sac City, but with 59th Street and US50 close by, CHP can be seen regularly in the neighborhood, and I found out that the UC-Davis police also cover a wide area outside the campus. So there are patrols all the time, and neighbors do keep an eye on each other.

You do get litter and crowds not from the neighborhood in the park on the weekends, and the basketball court at the park regularly hosts gangbangers playing basketball and doing drug deals via cellphone when they're not playing a game. I've seen a few drug deals also go down around the park during the day, but you don't get much of that as the city cops are visible enough to keep the scum nervous and moving.

The major downside of Tahoe Park - and its the major downside of Sacramento in general - is that while Tahoe Park Elementary is good (but its been mentioned as being on the list for closure), schools in Sacramento basically suck starting in junior high. If you want your kids in a quality school, you'll either need to go private, or plan on moving later to someplace north of Fair Oaks Blvd to find a decent public school and reasonably safe and non-chaotic high school to send your kids to. There's no way in hell I would have my kids at Hiram Johnson. There is the option of the charter Sac High and one of our neighbor's kids goes there, but there are no guarantees that you'll get in or if that experiment will stay open.

This is why I hesitate to buy in Tahoe Park when you can buy a house in Carmichael now that's larger, newer (but will still need remodeling) and in a school district where you don't have to worry about your kids having lighter fluid poured on them and lit afire when you send them off every morning.

Sacramento could really be a great city if we'd address safety in the schools, but we have such a large ghetto underclass that if you want to live in close to downtown, you'd better plan on private schools for your kids...

Old 08-20-2010, 05:59 PM

248 posts, read 803,209 times
I'm also a H.O. in Tahoe Park proper, I agree with most of the previous postings except I'm not thrilled about the new Target.
I think the increase in traffic will be a pain to deal with at times, and the amount of people cutting through the neighborhood will increase, as it is,people are constantly flying down my street and I just see a potential increase in that.

There also seems to be an increase with the 'tards that feel they need to 'boom' their music as they drive through the neighborhood- especially in the early am or late eves....

There is also a lack of a decent neighborhood supermarket. The store at Tallac should be condemed-went to hell once sam the butcher left....

Thats my .02 for now......

Old 08-20-2010, 06:32 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactoslacker View Post
I'm also a H.O. in Tahoe Park proper, I agree with most of the previous postings except I'm not thrilled about the new Target.
I think the increase in traffic will be a pain to deal with at times, and the amount of people cutting through the neighborhood will increase, as it is,people are constantly flying down my street and I just see a potential increase in that.

There also seems to be an increase with the 'tards that feel they need to 'boom' their music as they drive through the neighborhood- especially in the early am or late eves....

There is also a lack of a decent neighborhood supermarket. The store at Tallac should be condemed-went to hell once sam the butcher left....

I really wish we'd pass a law confiscating cars with loud kick boxes. Just take 'em for 30 days and charge the offender a $1000 fine. That would go a long ways towards getting rid of the noise pollution, but I'd also like to see them outlaw loud motorcycles.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:

I am thrilled about the new Target; I can't wait, I'm shocked the Nimbys didn't get their way this time.

I don't like the tards blasting their music but I hear blasting car music in East Sac or Roseville, everywhere.

I like the Tallac store it is old school and quaint. The people there are really nice. Would you rather it be another Whole Foods or Raleys? Actually that would be kind of cool.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:23 PM

248 posts, read 803,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I am thrilled about the new Target; I can't wait, I'm shocked the Nimbys didn't get their way this time.

I don't like the tards blasting their music but I hear blasting car music in East Sac or Roseville, everywhere.

I like the Tallac store it is old school and quaint. The people there are really nice. Would you rather it be another Whole Foods or Raleys? Actually that would be kind of cool.
It's just an odd place to have a store that large, the commercial land on the other side of hwy 50 would have been a better fit IMHO.
The 1/4 mile or so walk from the light rail station is not very pedestrian friendly either...

As for the Tallac grocery store, it's really just a large convenience store that closes by 9pm....No fresh meat/fish counter, produce is a joke, it's on the verge of being rotten all the time.
I had a neighbor who used to work there and he would always tell me double check the expiration dates on the tortillas and breads because they were usually way past their prime.

I had hope for it when Sam was running the butcher shop, but since he and the owners had a falling out, it's been downhill ever since.

Just sayin'.....

Old 08-24-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
It's just an odd place to have a store that large, the commercial land on the other side of hwy 50 would have been a better fit IMHO.
The 1/4 mile or so walk from the light rail station is not very pedestrian friendly either...

As for the Tallac grocery store, it's really just a large convenience store that closes by 9pm....No fresh meat/fish counter, produce is a joke, it's on the verge of being rotten all the time.
I had a neighbor who used to work there and he would always tell me double check the expiration dates on the tortillas and breads because they were usually way past their prime.

I had hope for it when Sam was running the butcher shop, but since he and the owners had a falling out, it's been downhill ever since.

Just sayin'.....
I agree the site next to light rail would have been good, but only if it were a 2 or 3 story structure with a parking garage on top or below the main store (Targets like this exist all over Southern Cal and the Bay). You would still have parking but those who use light rail regularly would have easy access to the store.

I don't use the Tallac store as a "real grocery store" only for convenience items milk , sometimes bread. I like that lot; it has great potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento