Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:10 PM

493 posts, read 1,446,749 times

Advertisements

The discussion about Chico vs. Davis prompted me to start a parallel thread. We will be retiring in about five years and are looking for a good place.

Most people in Davis probably wouldn't consider it to be a vacation destination, but we've done that for several years while we considered retiring there. We like the college-town atmosphere, the downtown and the fact that we can park at the hotel and walk virtually everywhere in the downtown and university area. But the housing prices are such that we've been considering that retirement in Hawaii, on the Big Island, might be a viable alternative.

I was encouraged by all of the positive comments about Chico and all of the similarities drawn; for example both are college towns.

We've lived in the Inland Empire since 1975, so the hot summers in Chico would be old news. We've always preferred northern California to southern, primarily because there are too many people here and the problems that overpopulation bring.

It was also encouraging to hear that there are good medical facilities in Chico; something that we must consider and something that may be lacking in Hawaii.

I was surprised that one poster said that the only dangerous part of Chico was the downtown, but that was fine when the college students were on break. How, exactly, are college students dangerous? Maybe annoying to some, but dangerous?

Anyone care to comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 03:20 PM

433 posts, read 1,618,763 times
I would not think Chico would be a good place to retire. Lots of drunk college kids, low lifes, etc. I would get a nice place with some space outside of the Chico area if you still want to be close to Chico. Maybe get some acreage in Durham or something. Davis is ok, I don't really see why it would be an exceptional place to retire though. Hawaii is nice as long as you don't mind the isolation from the main land.

In regards to the dangerous comment there is a lot of drinking and consequently lots of drunk driving in Chico, lots of bar fights etc. My cousin got sucker punched a few weeks back in Chico, a huge 6'5" dude maybe 250 lbs hit him so hard he was instantly unconscious and he hit his head hard on the sidewalk. He was lucky, it could have been worse. My sisters boyfriend is a Sheriff in Sac County and he almost pulled his gun out on the guy. He didn't because there was a big crowd and it could have escalted to an even worse level.

A lot of people say Chico is some sort of pregressive college town but I don't really see that. Davis is an actual progressive college town, not Chico. Sure there are some cool art shops and whatever but mostly it is just a party town, lots of alcohol and drugs. Never have I seen a town where drinking is so emphasized with EVERYTHING that a lot of people do. Anyways, just my $0.02

Old 06-10-2009, 03:51 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
I would opt for Paradise. It's a town in the Sierra foothills/buttes that's 8-15 miles and roughly 25 minutes from the center of Chico. At about 1,800 feet it's cooler in the summer and you'll get just enough snow in the winter for a pleasant change of pace, but not enough to slow you down. It's been a retirement magnet for years with appropriate accomodations and services yet there are also plenty of young families. The housing is reasonable up there above the foothill tree line and even more so just past Paradise in Magalia.

I think you'd find it more restful and pleasant than either Chico or Davis unless you really want/need to be smack-dab in the middle of academe.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:53 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Paradise is definitely a nice retirement community, although it was hit pretty hard by wildfires recently. They have some fantastic antique stores, a nice local history museum, and it's definitely some pretty country (or will be once the burned zones re-grow.)

Old 06-10-2009, 04:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
My parents retired in Paradise back in the 70s and never regreted it for a minute. It is close to Oraville and Chico, but cooler and more serene.. The landscape is much more pleasant and they do have lots of actities for seniors. I like Chico as well, but if we were moving back to California, I think
Paradise would be our first choice.

Nita

Old 06-10-2009, 06:28 PM

24 posts, read 110,361 times
I lived in Davis for 10 years and would not retire there. The prices for everything get higher and higher every year. And the influx of students every Sep/Oct does get bothersome with the noise, partying, reckless driving. Upside is the truly unique, liberal point of view.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohunny View Post
Upside is the truly unique, liberal point of view.
Yup! Toad tunnels, bat sanctuaries, et al!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I lived in Chico for three years, and the only thing that I liked about it was Bidwell Park. I couldn't stand the small town living, so I left for the big city.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I lived in Chico for three years, and the only thing that I liked about it was Bidwell Park. I couldn't stand the small town living, so I left for the big city.
you have to remember, many people retire to escape the big city life. What we loved about the BIG city when we were 40 is what we hate at 60.

Nita

Old 06-10-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you have to remember, many people retire to escape the big city life. What we loved about the BIG city when we were 40 is what we hate at 60.

Nita
Ain't it the truth! Once we move, if I never hear a police, ambulance or fire siren again, a police helicopter, gun shots, blaring music or the sounds of a shopping cart filled with cans and bottles rumbling through the alley in the wee small hours of the night it will be too soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento