Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:09 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times

Advertisements

So i'm getting my plans together for new years and I am just now finding out that the ball drop is canceled this year because last year's ball drop was too successful and too many people showed up.

Anybody else as dissapointed as me? Sacramento can put together an extremely popular new york style ball drop even that brings in 10's of thousands of people into the grid and they are not doing it this year?

Two steps forward and 5 steps backwards

I cannot even express my dissapointment in the Mayor and the business community for not putting something together this year. Sorry just so disspointed I had to make a thread about it. Wburg I welcome your thoughts and haters please stay out the thread I'm not in the mood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 08:15 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
The problem is that last year's event was too successful. It was supposed to draw 2000 because supposedly Sacramentans don't know how to party. 10,000 showed up because the people who thought that were wrong. This year they would have had to provide 5-10 times as much security, bathrooms and other crowd-control measures, because only a miracle or the stars aligning right prevented a mob scene last year. Nobody wanted to pony up the cash for that, so no party.

There will be a big ol' thing in Old Sacramento, including fireworks, and there are only about a zillion New Year's Eve parties going on. I imagine 21st and P, 20th and K, 28th and J, 16th and L, 15th and R and assorted other intersections where there are a bunch of bars will be quite ridiculous, but the Old Sac one will probably be the party to be at this year.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
They had announced the cancellation a couple of weeks ago. Just a shame, kind of confirms many of the negative sentiments folks have around here, about it being a second class area.

The lack of public rallying to save the event is a bit troubling, at least to me.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:22 PM

One year isn't really enough time to establish a tradition, it was a party put on by a couple local restaurant owners last year with very little planning or forethought. If someone wanted to put up the money they could have put it on, but everyone was broke, including the city. It's not like they're canceling the Jazz Festival or the State Fair or something--there's really nothing to "save." I imagine there will still be quite a lot of people milling around K Street on New Year's Eve, and considering there are a few nightclubs on that block I imagine they will find something to do.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
I have no doubt that plenty of activities will be available, but part of what makes a city "something" is the establishment of traditions. This seemed like an opportunity, but obviously isn't going to be easy to pull off each year.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:41 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,693 times
Well that is too bad. I was planning on attending this event until I saw this thread and found out it's not happening. Looks like Old Sacramento or SF now.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:48 PM

Why can't Old Sacramento be the tradition? It has been there for the past several years, and draws a big crowd. It seems like nothing we actually already do counts as "something," which is kind of ridiculous--as though the things we can do don't matter, seemingly only because they happen in Sacramento, and the things we can't do somehow are more important than what we have actually accomplished. I find that ridiculous.

I'll be near 10th & K on New Year's Eve, I'll let you know what happens.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:00 PM

109 posts, read 377,848 times
Remember city and county budgets are really thin owing to the collapse of the housing bust and less aid from the state. If the government has to cut back somewhere, I suspect that city funding for a New Years Party is probably less urgent than funding the police department, the fire department, various social programs etc.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:37 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Makes me wonder if St. Patrick's Day will be celebrated in the street between 8th and 9th and K again this year.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 PM

Curmudgeon: When was St. Patrick's Day celebrated between 8th and 9th and K? There aren't really any open businesses there except for the Rite-Aid. Last year I thought the big St. Patrick's celebration was in front of DeVere's on L and 16th.

Phil Minor: Last year's event was not a city or county function, it was private, paid for by the owners of some restaurants near 10th and K. They aren't willing to put up enough to pay for the security and toilets the city wants (and really should have been there last year), and the city can't afford to make up the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento