Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 01:27 AM

28 posts, read 69,786 times

Advertisements

Fair Oaks and general area seems like the best fit for us, but like all areas, even my beloved island home town, I know there are certain 'areas within areas' that are better and worse.

So what we are looking for to start with is a rental property, house preferred but condo apt is ok too. We are not so much interested in the "facilities" an apt or condo/area has to offer for rentals, but reasonable safety and preferably nearer to the main town area of Fair Oaks (for our older teens to get around, public transit would be a great bonus). Since we are planning to buy, we really don't want to spend a huge amount on a rental!

So tell me... what areas should I avoid, what are better for safety and convenience for shopping and public transportation? Also, we do want to buy, so a shorter lease option is also a plus.

We will have 2 adults, and two teens (out of school) and cats, with one smoker in the family.

Ideas are very welcome and appreciated.

Mahalo!

Last edited by LaniK; 01-23-2010 at 02:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 08:05 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,287,780 times
There isn't really a "main town" of Fair Oaks, the closest thing is Old Fair Oaks Village near Fair Oaks and Winding Way, although its role is mostly historic, I think there are some antique shops and a couple restaurants and a nice little park, but most actual shopping is done elsewhere at nearby power centers. Sunrise Boulevard is the main commuter street, and most of your shopping will probably occur north up Sunrise near the Sunrise Mall shopping complex or south over the river in Rancho Cordova. It's hard to go wrong with Fair Oaks in terms of safety but it's not inexpensive out that way.

As I mentioned, public transit is basically nonexistent in Sacramento's suburbs.

Sacramento Regional Transit District Home Page
This is Sacramento Regional Transit District's homepage. It looks like two buses, 21 and 28, run through Fair Oaks. They run every half hour, 21 goes from the edge of Roseville to the Mather light rail station and stops about 9:00, 28 from the mall to the Butterfield light rail station and stops at about 7:00. Bus 24 runs from Fair Oaks to Carmichael via Madison Avenue and Greenback Lane in a loop, and there are a couple of commuter-hour-only buses that run to Watt/I-80 to get downtown during commuter hours.

For public transit to be useful you will have to live within a few blocks of the routes they run--here's the map:

http://www.sacrt.com/systemmap/A2.stm

Old 01-23-2010, 05:13 PM

49 posts, read 189,189 times
check out Blue Rock Property Management...www.bluerockpm.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento