Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:21 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,612 times

Advertisements

Sacramento is a nice place, no doubt there. It gets really hot in the summer, and air is a must, unlike out in the bay area. We have a house there, and its pretty nice. You might not want to live directly in Sacramento, becuase some of the suburbs are nice. There is a lot to do in downtown. The location is great. 2 hours from skiing, hiking, enjoying out doors. The mountians are great, and its about a 2 hour drive. One is able to get out and enjoy nature very closely, and there are so many wonderful things to do in california. The bay area is very close, when people move from back east, they seem a little uneasy at first, but all most all of them dont want to go back. Our house is about 1 hour from sacramento, and give another 30 min, if traffic is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,141 times
sac is great place to live if you like outdoor activities...90 miles in any direction you have mountains to ski, san fran for city life, many big clean lakes to boat on nearby, summers are nice and hot with no rain ever for 6 months!. NO BUGS! unlike the south or east. Live in the foothills not in low life sac. commute in and you will love it.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:47 AM

762 posts, read 2,030,584 times
I think people who live in sac area are smart. It might be "cool" to live in the bay, or socal, but generally you get less for your money and a worse quality of life. Working there means fighting the traffic with too many people. Sac obviously has its traffic issues, but they are not as bad and can be creatively avoided. In the silicon or san fernando valley, Forget About It.

There are exceptions, of course, such as SF proper, but suburb for suburb, and if living near the ocean isn't on the agenda, I vote Sacramento as cool... in a practical sense.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:49 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
And if your idea of "outdoor activities" means walking to a cafe, Sacramento proper has options that way too. And "cool" can mean "laid back and easygoing" vs. the intensity of a "hot" city like SF or LA, which can be viewed as a positive too.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:34 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
I would not trade being an hour and a half away from Sugar bowl to live in the bay. Forget it.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:53 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
I know this is an old thread. My comments are not necessarily for the OP or those that I am quoting, but for the general public as I have experience with both Sacto and the East Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassSass View Post
I currently live in Boston, Ma and a move to Sacramento is very possible in the near future. My boyfriend is getting promoted and the branch that he would be managing is in Fair Oaks? I no NOTHING about Sacramento... I love boston and would miss it but I do love going to new places (I also HATE the snow). We are both young and have no "serious" commitments so it is exciting. Just wondering if anyone has some feedback on what to expect with Sacramento!?!
I was born and raised in Sacto and spent a year living in Boston. The two cities cannot compare. I won't claim one city is better than the other, but these two cities could not be more different. San Francisco, on the other hand, is a closer comparison to Boston in many aspects.

Boston is largely comprised of professionals/yuppies and college students. It is hard for anyone not familiar with Boston to grasp the sheer number of students living there....perhaps around 400,000 or so. As a result, things tend to be for those with money, or those living the "college lifestyle". Bars, for example, are either college/sports bars or yuppy "mixology" joints. There are a few hipster bars, but even those can be expensive if you like to drink something that is not PBR. Good luck finding a decent, down-to-Earth, corner/working class bar. Boston prides itself on being a working-class city, but is more a part of its history than today's reality. It is far more white-collar, even if those white-collar jobs are on the lower-end of the pay scale.

Sacramento, while having its share of professionals/yuppies, is more of an Average Joe type of city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathwalker View Post
To someone like me, in SW Ohio, California sounds like a fairytale land.
I lived in Minnesota, Maine, Massachusetts, and Maryland (seems to be a pattern ) since I moved out of California. I find people's perception of California in other parts of the country to be more fantasy than reality. Well, outside of the weather, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
The sprawl is incredible. It reminds me of LA.
Yeah, it's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaToThree View Post
I'm now a native to Sac transplanted from Baltimore and, trust me, there is no humidity in Sac!!!
Funny, I now live in Baltimore. Yup, humidity out here is on a level that most in Sacto cannot relate to unless they have experienced it. I'd take a 110˚F Sacto summer day over an 80˚F summer day out here for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
Oh lordy please, don't make Sacramento like Portland.
Didn't "Sacramento" hire the same firm that made Portland cool and hip to make Sacto cool and hip, too? I heard this was going to happen back in 2003 or so. I was just in town a few months ago, and it is definitely far more hipster now than it was a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Try as it might, Sacramento is still something of a cow town (it hates hearing that)!
Yeah, the easiest way to 'insult" a native Sacramentan is to call Sacto a cow town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_M View Post
HAHA! So true! Most people I know LEAVE town for fun and recreation, namely SF.
I went to the Bay two to three times a month for "things to do". All of my friends did, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you will find Sacramento extremely disappointing after living in Boston.
It really depends on what you are looking for and want out of life. Boston has really cleaned itself up and does not have the problems with crime and homelessness it once had. Sacto is a cesspool in comparison. The main disappointment, or relief, is that people in Sacto are more friendly. If you look a Bostonian in the eye, they will think you are about to approach them, want something from them, or gasp, will try to talk to them (ok, that is an exaggeration....but not too far from the truth). They have a saying around Boston, "I have enough friends!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
To me, this is so huge that I don't really get why so many people seem to consider Sacto "boring". Compared to what?
It depends on what you are into and what you want out of life.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:57 PM

22 posts, read 61,653 times
I spent a Summer in Boston and honestly found it rather boring and bland coming from SoCal. Since my girlfriend is from the Sac area, so I've also spent much time there in the Midtown/Folsom/Roseville area. While Sac is also much different than SoCal, I dare to say I find the Sac area more hip, trendy, and fun than I found Boston.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:25 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones View Post
I spent a Summer in Boston and honestly found it rather boring and bland coming from SoCal. Since my girlfriend is from the Sac area, so I've also spent much time there in the Midtown/Folsom/Roseville area. While Sac is also much different than SoCal, I dare to say I find the Sac area more hip, trendy, and fun than I found Boston.
I've never been to Boston, but I have to admit I'm very surprised to hear this.

I always assumed that since Boston has such a high number of students and professionals, it was a very hip place. Sacramento has its cool areas, but is much more of a working class kind of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento