Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:59 AM

22 posts, read 56,257 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm originally from the east bay area (san ramon/danville) and am looking to move to the Sacramento area, but am looking for a suburb a lot like Dublin / Danville - safe, nice housing and still things to do.
I would like to minimize my time in the city and stay in the suburb. Which city would you recommend for the best blend of safe, nice housing and restaraunts, etc? Which is the safest? Commute time to the city is a bit of a concern, but everything thing else is priority for us.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 12:06 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,100 times
Granite Bay, El Dorado Hills, and Folsom would be most comparable to Danville. These are nice suburbs across the board. Then there areas of Rocklin and Roseville that are upper end as well.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:50 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bears8489 View Post
Hello,

I'm originally from the east bay area (san ramon/danville) and am looking to move to the Sacramento area, but am looking for a suburb a lot like Dublin / Danville - safe, nice housing and still things to do.
I would like to minimize my time in the city and stay in the suburb. Which city would you recommend for the best blend of safe, nice housing and restaraunts, etc? Which is the safest? Commute time to the city is a bit of a concern, but everything thing else is priority for us.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Folsom is the closest thing to Pleasanton and Danville that I can think of out here. El Dorado Hills is like San Ramon (no real downtown) but a really nice smaller town.

You could also look into the Granite Bay, Roseville, Rocklin area. Roseville has a lot of shopping / restaurants as well.

I would live in Folsom out of all of the above, hands down.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:10 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,417 times
Previous posters are accurate... make sure you research HOA and mello roos fees. Not all agents are forthcoming about the additional expenses there.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:32 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,302,099 times
Where are you going to be working? If you are working in Roseville or Folsom, then I would live out in either of those communities.

But if you are working in Sacramento, I would look at Arden Park, Sierra Oaks, Willhaggen, Sierra Oaks Vista, Willhaggen Estates, Del Dayo Estates, Del Dayo Manor.

http://www.communities.saccounty.net/arden-arcade/docs/survey/map.pdf (broken link)

This is a map of the region by education attainment levels.

STI: ERsys - Sacramento, CA (Education)

Old 04-23-2010, 06:27 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,520 times
I grew up in Moraga and we have good friends in Danville.

I was extremely happy in Fair Oaks for 10 years -- absolutely loved it. Close to everything, but private and upscale. Great neighbors. Wonderful "old village" in the center of Fair Oaks.

We're in Virginia now thanks to a job transfer. We're selling our home which is in one of the nicest neighborhoods of Fair Oaks for a song of $289,000.

PM me if you'd like more info.

Alley

Old 04-24-2010, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 11,643 times
I think the OP will absolutely love Folsom, it's unique in that it is secluded. Has a real historic district including an old town. Out of all the city's I work in around Sacramento (I'm a pool guy) this town has the most "community" It is possible to not have to leave Folsom ever as there is every type of shopping available as well as restaurants, entertainment and recreation galore. I've never lived in the Bay Area but I can tell you Folsom is probably the nicest place to live for a young family with kids in the central valley.

-Ryan

Old 04-27-2010, 08:03 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,751 times
Danville and Dublin are two different places. Danville has a median fam income of nearly 150k versus dublins 114k. One is upper end, the other more solidly middle/ modestly upper middle class.

If you want something like dublin look to folsom, with a median fam income of about 110k. El dorado hills and granite bay are more like 120k+ median fam incomes.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:31 AM

405 posts, read 1,345,417 times
Yes, but be careful with that whole 'median income' thing. In Danville, or even Dublin, $500k gets you a 1200 square foot shack. In Folsom or EDH that same half million gets you a pretty incredible home. It's not always about annual income.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:55 AM

11 posts, read 14,729 times
Folsom, Roseville and Rocklin have Police Departments, which is becoming a big deal. El Dorado Hills is patrolled by EDSO and Fair Oaks by SSD (Sac Sheriff). EDSO is understaffed and usually has only a couple of deputies in EDH at best. SSD is cutting there deputies every month, so that might be something to consider. Roseville and Folsom both have great shopping, although Roseville has stepped in up over the last couple of years. I believe Folsom is in better financial shape than Roseville, but I don't know to what extent. Both Folsom and Roseville have fire departments, as does ED Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento