Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 01:31 PM

49 posts, read 233,552 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate from Southern Calif to be near family in Portland and Bend. My husband is an experienced Manufacturing Engineer. Which area would have the best job possiblities? We have heard it is really hard to get responses on resumes when you are from out of state. Any ideas would be helpful? We want to live in a somewhat rural setting that is not too far from town since we love the outdoors and hiking. We love Silverton, any other ideas for areas to look at? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 01:55 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,605 times
Portland has many "suburban" communities that should fit your interests. I'm considering relocating as well but to the "city" and have been doing much research about the city. Job opportunities for engineers are strong in any city you go to. Technically, I'm not one that believes people when they say there are no jobs in a city. Now if we're talking a small rural community I can see that but no chance in Portland. Whether you're local or not shouldn't matter. I've received professional job offers from different states. It all comes down to how much a company needs your services. If they want you believe me they'll take the initiative to accomodate your relocation. Check in to the Sellwood/Westmoreland neighborhood, I've heard excellent things about it.
I think you'll be very happy in Portland as you love the outdoors.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:06 PM

Thanks for your help. I've also heard Sellwood is nice but we are looking to live on a couple of acres outside of town possibly in the Damascus or Newburg areas.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:12 AM

66 posts, read 247,238 times
I know nothing about the engineering field, but Salem is much much much smaller than portland and as such will have much much fewer jobs...probably your best bet would be portland. It's pretty easy to live far out enough so you are in the country but are still within commuting distance from the city.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:05 PM

19 posts, read 55,743 times
"Technically, I'm not one that believes people when they say there are no jobs in a city."

Believe it or not, it is true. You never care unless it happens to you.

If you are planning to move to Portland, you'd better believe that you should have plenty of money or a job lined-up. I have spoke to many, many, many, people who are having employment difficulty. Even the food service and retail workers. Don't be deceived, don't believe, do your research.

By the way, there is an apartment shortage because they are being converted to pricey condos. So if you come to Portland without a job, it will make a believer out of you yet.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:19 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadgbd View Post
"Technically, I'm not one that believes people when they say there are no jobs in a city."

Believe it or not, it is true. You never care unless it happens to you.

If you are planning to move to Portland, you'd better believe that you should have plenty of money or a job lined-up. I have spoke to many, many, many, people who are having employment difficulty. Even the food service and retail workers. Don't be deceived, don't believe, do your research.

By the way, there is an apartment shortage because they are being converted to pricey condos. So if you come to Portland without a job, it will make a believer out of you yet.
This is really scary stuff but I believe you're speaking the truth. Portland doesn't have a "sunshine economy" like Seattle, LA, Houston etc....
The other thing is that it rains a lot and is cold so you definitely don't want to end up homeless on the streets, get ill and die. Cost of living is expensive in Portland and I think having a GOOD JOB and some strong savings helps.

Seriously though, who would relocate to Portland for a $10hr job???? and have no family, friends, or know the city. Apartments are all being converted to lofts and condos? REALLY?

Old 08-27-2007, 08:31 AM

19 posts, read 55,743 times
The apartment conversions are happening in the city where everybody wants to live near the shops, etc. Portland is a very walkable and friendly city and living in a good area is fantastic...if you have a good job, that is.

In the suburbs, there are plenty of apartments. Some suburbs resemble Mexico more than America, but some suburbs are nice (although that has toned down now). If you live in the suburbs, then you must fight traffic to get into the city where everybody wants to be.

Yes, it's true, in the trendy NW Portland 23rd / 21st street vicinity many apartments are being converted. The remaining apartments are raising rents in accordance with demand. The rents are skyrocketing in the SE Hawthorne and Belmont areas.

I would like to stay in Portland. Occasionally jobs opportunities do present themselves in Portland. I am planning to leave for Northern Virginia, where the job market is supposedly good. I am planning to move there, for some reason I just don't want to leave Portland. I'm having panic attacks about it.

Regarding the stories about "low unemployment" in Portland, I'm not sure. Here's my speculation (I really don't know the answer):

1. The unemployment figures do not count long time unemployed like myself (I do computer repair contracting).

2. The unemployment figures are a producgt of a corrupt government that is controlled by corporate interests. Those interests might be:

Real Estate developers want to attract business.

Employers want to show that they have a cause for more H-1B and illegal immigrants to do jobs that Americans wont (be allowed) to do.

Portland does not have a good employment history. I came here during the IT boom and was able to land a job (although I was really treated like crap by very demanding employers). In fact, I had job offers throughout the USA and the world. I was doing OK. But when Bush II was elected, there was a terror attack on 9/11. Then the company I worked for in Portland laid off about 250 employees and I have not been able to find a decent job since. Then came the wave of illegal aliens, who appear to be dropping off as the issue becomes prominent in the news. But you still see them around town working. The corruption of our government has me suffering; it is hard to find work, to afford an apartment, to afford a home.

I can only hope and pray that the Northern Virginia job market is all it is hyped up to be, if I decide to move there.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:15 AM

Thanks for all the input. We just got back from a quick trip to Portland. The cost of living is not as high as Southern California and jobs seem to be more plentiful for my husbands line of work. He interviewed in person while we were there after several phone interviews from home. We are feeling fairly confident that he will land this job. Wish us luck.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:41 AM

65 posts, read 252,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadgbd View Post
I can only hope and pray that the Northern Virginia job market is all it is hyped up to be, if I decide to move there.
Make sure you do your research about NoVa, I grew up there and while it is a wonderful place with fantastic schools, it might possibly be one of the more expensive "non-urban" places to live in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem