Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,649 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody =)

I am from Germany and I am here in Salem since early May till after the summer.

Can you maybe give me tips on what you should look at salem and the area around? Last weekend I was in Lincoln City and Newport for a day trip, very nice but a little bit cold...
So for example for day trips, but at times also only for an afternoon or evening.

Have a nice weekend
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,765 times
Welcome
Your in Salem, one day follow the signs out to Oregon Gardens in Silverton..This an 80 acre garden that show cases what we has north west gardeners, can do and do in our gardens..There is a vegetable garden complete with some hens who live in coup and yard that looks like a pent house..The tram from the visitor center takes you all around the garden and tells our guests who we are and what we are about..
Please come out and visit the garden is in full bloom now.
Enjoy your visit in Oregon

Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I went to school in Salem, but I left as soon as I could. There's nothing to do in Salem. When I was there, there weren't even any restaurants. I spent my weekends in Portland, which has a lot to offer. There's a well-known Rose Garden, there's a bookstore with one of the best selections of books nationwide--Powell's, there's good entertainment, concerts, symphony. I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging about Salem.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:10 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,765 times
To our new friend from Germany,
Marion county aka the Salem area has lots of neat stuff going this time of year..
If seeing your first american pro-baseball team is something you'd The Volcano's start playing
Fathers day in Keizer, they are a farm club of the San Francisco Giants, such fun to watch.
There is a festival on every street corner in the summer or it seems like it..Just pick up the paper on Thursday and Friday and they are all listed.
Don't forget the local fruit, berry's , cherry's and all kinds of local vegies too.
Please enjoy your time here...

Old 05-29-2012, 04:51 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,180,020 times
For a day trip drive the Historic Columbia River Highway. It won't take too long to get there from Salem: Salem, OR to Troutdale, OR - Google Maps

http://cms.oregon.egov.com/ODOT/HWY/...rhbrochure.pdf

Historic Columbia River Highway - History

Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Many people are fascinated by Oregon's covered bridges. Some are reasonably close to Salem. Most are on pleasant country roads. You might be able to visit them in an afternoon:

Covered Bridges of Oregon - Google Maps

Oregon - Like No Other: Oregon Covered Bridges - SCIO REGION

Pictures: https://www.google.com/search?q=oreg...w=1409&bih=837

Oregon's Covered Bridge capitol - YouTube

Old 05-29-2012, 07:59 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Things to do in the area:

1) Wine tasting. Evesham Wood is exceptional as is Cubanisimo. Both are in Salem. I'd also hit Torii Mor in Dundee. I would definitely do some wine tasting. There are a lot of vineyards in the area, those are just my favorites.
2) Silverfalls State Park is a gorgeous hike, easy day trip
3) Rent a jetski and go around Detroit Lake. It's a great and easy way to see the entire reservoir.
4) The Shellburg Falls Loop Trail near Stayton
5) Butte Creek Falls near Scotts Mills
6) Go rafting on the Santiam River.
7) The swimming hole at North Fork Park is great and it is fun hiking up the river.
8) The Oregon Gardens
9) Multnomah Falls out in the Columbia Gorge
10) Sisters Oregon. Hike to the head of the Metolius. The fish hatchery is kind of cool too.

Most people live in Oregon to do outdoor things. There is no lack of outdoor places to see and hike.

If outdoor things aren't your thing then
The Mission Mill Museum
Deepwood Estate
The Art Fair is coming up in late July
The Aviation Museum in McMinnville. It has the Spruce Goose.
Hallie Ford has some interesting art and speakers
Aurora Colony

We do really have restaurants here despite the poster stating we don't.
Good places to eat in town:
Word of Mouth Bistro
Amadeus
Wild Pear
La Capitale
Andaluz
da Vinci's.
Konditorei (desert)
Alcyone has good sandwiches
Red Ginger
Broken Bread
Crooked House Bistro

Anyway, it's hard to make suggestions without knowing if you are the outdoorsy type or the symphony/concert/museum type.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:00 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
This list is a tiny bit better, only because it has a description and a bit of history of each bridge included with it's location.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...3e2c24e0&msa=0

Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Things to do in the area:

1) Wine tasting. Evesham Wood is exceptional as is Cubanisimo. Both are in Salem. I'd also hit Torii Mor in Dundee. I would definitely do some wine tasting. There are a lot of vineyards in the area, those are just my favorites.
A full list of the Wineries in the Willamette Valley is here: » Winery Map » Willamette Valley Wineries Willamette Valley Wineries

I don't drink wine, but I enjoy driving the back roads to go find the wineries.

You're also a few miles away from King's Valley, which is the location of one of Oregon's Historic Forts, Fort Hoskins. Also nearby is Camp Adair, which was a training base during WWII, then later a German POW camp. There is a military museum there that has history of both. The POW Camp story is actually pretty interesting.

A bit of interesting history about the Camp is here: The Creswell Chronicle in Creswell, Oregon - Community News and Visitor Information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem