Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 03:42 PM

7 posts, read 8,125 times

Advertisements

Curious as to what the Salem has to offer for children. We have a 2,4, and 5 year old, and are a homeschooling family. Opportunities for nature education are especially desired. We are not really the "workbook" type of homeschooling family, and use a more hands-on approach at the moment--they are still pretty young! Festivals, nature centers, exposure to culture and arts, awesome parks..does that help?

I've seen there is the Gilbert House-- any comments on that?

Also, does anyone know if a homeschooling community is well established? We are looking to joining an all-inclusive co-op (i.e. not exclusively faith based).

It seems like I would get by fine with the amenities in Salem-- I'd just like a better idea of the year round kids activities!

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 05:37 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
There is a healthy homeschooling community here as homeschooling is generally supported in Oregon. A lot of people homeschool through ORCA (Oregon Connections Academy) which is a public school hybrid. Technically, it is an online school.

Options for learning Science:
The Gilbert House offers some hands on experimentation and education for kids. They change the exhibits every so often, and they offer quite a few classes on different topics. It isn't something that I think you could go to every week with a new educational topic in mind though.

OMSI up in Portland is still the best. They have great exhibits as well as a kid area.

Salem Audubon Society offers kids classes.

The Willamette Riverkeepers did a great class for the Gilbert House one year on river habitats. My daughter loved it.

The Straub Environmental Center in West Salem offers a lot of kid programs.

There is also the Turtle Ridge Wildlife Refuge that probably has some homeschooling options as well.

The Forestry Center up in Portland also offers great educational opportunities for kids. I would see if the Forest History Center in Salem offers programs/talks for kids as well.

I'd check with Silverfalls State Park because they often have educational things going on for kids and likely have some programs for homeschoolers.

There are a couple of fish hatchery's relatively close. One is in Scio and the other is the Minto Fish Hatchery.

Bonneville Power Dam in Portland has a great museum.

History:
The Willamette Heritage center does interesting things all the time. It is the old wool mill here and they have some really neat educational programs there.

There is the Old Aurora Colony in Aurora Oregon which is neat.

Antique Powerland in Brooks is neat for learning about the history of trains.

Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinneville has the Spruce Goose and interesting to learn about aviation history.

The Arts:
Willamette Art Center (clay) has a homeschooling class, I think and they do family clay Sundays.

The Abbey Art Center has a homeschooling class.

Bush Barn has a family art night on a regular basis.

The Elsinore does some local shows like the Nutcracker and such that would work for kids.

Hallie Ford always has new exhibits.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:06 PM

Wow. I'm blown away, thank you!

Old 11-24-2015, 07:25 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,350 times
The second Tuesday in September Oregon Gardens holds Home School Day.This past September we had over 400 homeschoolers and there families..They have 10 or 12 hands on activity stations for the kids to participate in..They all bring picnic lunches and just have a ton of fun..Lots of net working goes on
amongst the parents...
This is one event out there that I don't miss volunteering for..
Oregon Gardens is out in Silverton ..

Old 11-24-2015, 10:41 PM

Sounds like it's not to be missed!

Old 11-27-2015, 10:35 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
There is also the Kroc center indoor water park complex that my kids love to do when they visit their grandparents in Salem. They always have educational programs happening of some sort.

The Salvation Army Kroc Center - Salem, OR

Old 11-27-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
The second Tuesday in September Oregon Gardens holds Home School Day.This past September we had over 400 homeschoolers and there families..They have 10 or 12 hands on activity stations for the kids to participate in..They all bring picnic lunches and just have a ton of fun..Lots of net working goes on
amongst the parents...
This is one event out there that I don't miss volunteering for..
Oregon Gardens is out in Silverton ..
I can't believe I forgot to mention the garden. They do all sorts of kid things. Looking for owl pellets, learning about bullfrogs, etc. Agree that it isn't to be missed.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
There is also the Kroc center indoor water park complex that my kids love to do when they visit their grandparents in Salem. They always have educational programs happening of some sort.

The Salvation Army Kroc Center - Salem, OR
The Kroc center is great, but it is more social fun than educationally oriented. Their summer camps are great. My kids did them for a few years, and they pick their summer staff really, really well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem