Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,476 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what the policy of Salem schools is for kids who are identified as GATE, or Gifted/Talented.

From what I've been able to find so far, Oregon has a gifted mandate, but no funding. How do parents of g/t kids find appropriate education in Salem area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 08:18 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ametrine View Post
I'm wondering what the policy of Salem schools is for kids who are identified as GATE, or Gifted/Talented.

From what I've been able to find so far, Oregon has a gifted mandate, but no funding. How do parents of g/t kids find appropriate education in Salem area?
They are called TAG here. What grade is your child?

Old 04-01-2016, 08:23 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
This is dated information:

Our son was Salem-Keizer Sch 1990-2002 (k-12). I think he was identified as TAG in 1st grade. He was set aside for most of 1st grade in a corner to do independent work, except for art and manual work. By second grade he was crying at Turkey Day, with teacher in hand- He apparently decided that school was not for him; Counselor took us aside and told us that they were already prepared for him to jump to third or fourth grade (skip 1 or 2 grades) our choice- We allowed 1 grade skip and started on the next Monday in a mixed 3/4 grade class. He repeated that same class as 4 grader, which was a mistake on our part. He did full IB and EC in speech, orchestra with private lessons, business leadership, science olympiads, but no sports. Graduated 1/400 in HS (South). NMF. He went to Carnegie-Mellon, double major in ME and HCI, graduated with very high honors.

We let him and system work with little interference. Our impression is the school system will jump him to a higher grade level. ECs will add considerable challenges.

IIRC, the HS's have gravitated to focusing on areas of expertise. North HS has the math and language arts; South HS the IB and AP. Sprague HS the music and arts. West HS the Sciences. Any will be adequate for a general HS program. You can pick your school.

Last edited by leastprime; 04-01-2016 at 08:32 PM..

Old 04-02-2016, 07:39 PM

He's third, in a charter that has allowed him to take fifth math and fourth reading and fifth spelling. (He's capable of fifth reading as shown by tests, but is not up to the writing.)

Old 04-02-2016, 07:41 PM

Thank you for such detail. Our DS is definitely math-oriented and interested in the sciences. West Salem for him?

Old 04-02-2016, 07:47 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post

IIRC, the HS's have gravitated to focusing on areas of expertise. North HS has the math and language arts; South HS the IB and AP. Sprague HS the music and arts. West HS the Sciences. Any will be adequate for a general HS program. You can pick your school.
Not so much anymore. There are certain programs at different high schools and kids can do an in district transfer to that schools if they want to do the early education curriculum that is at Sprague, for example. South still has the IB program, but both Sprague and West have plenty of Honors/AP options. There is ample science at all of the schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ametrine View Post
He's third, in a charter that has allowed him to take fifth math and fourth reading and fifth spelling. (He's capable of fifth reading as shown by tests, but is not up to the writing.)
There is accelerated math at the middle schools where they do three years of math in two years. That sounds like it would be a good option when he gets there. As for elementary, it really depends on the teacher. Some can handle challenging kids while others aren't so good at it. There is no funding for TAG and there really isn't anything they do differently in the schools. I wish I could tell you it was awesome for TAG kids, but it just depends on the teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
View detailed profiles of: