Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,890 times

Advertisements

Noob here. Looking at some property in Sweet Home, the town seems nice and quiet. Not totally out of the loop but not all trendy either. Beautiful land by the river. Just wordering if there a gay community or at least it's not an issue overall in that area? Also, crime. What's the what? Drug use, theft, etc.....

I wanna be out of Portland, it's getting too people-y, but not out in the middle.of nowhere...
Any help is appreciated, thank you. I want to find a permanent place so don't hold back, I need to know the truth so I don't end up in a spot I hate.

~TNG~
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 08:15 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Sweet Home is a place where you will see people flying confederate flags.

I would also consider it living out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,890 times
Well, ****. LoL That's not good..

Old 05-30-2017, 08:19 PM

68 posts, read 62,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyNinjaGemini View Post
Noob here. Looking at some property in Sweet Home, the town seems nice and quiet. Not totally out of the loop but not all trendy either. Beautiful land by the river. Just wordering if there a gay community or at least it's not an issue overall in that area? Also, crime. What's the what? Drug use, theft, etc.....

I wanna be out of Portland, it's getting too people-y, but not out in the middle.of nowhere...
Any help is appreciated, thank you. I want to find a permanent place so don't hold back, I need to know the truth so I don't end up in a spot I hate.

~TNG~
We took a trip up to the Oregon area about a year ago. My impression from my research of Sweet Hoome is this is a fairly conservative area. Very beautiful and inexpensive. Sadly, we never made out that far during our trip. Coos Coos Bay seems a better fit for you. We've spent time vacationing there, pretty good group of folks. Didn't seem clickly

Old 05-31-2017, 05:00 PM

30 posts, read 24,185 times
I live near Coos Bay and I fly the flag. I'm not the only one. Oregon Election Results 2016: President Live Map by County, Real-Time Voting Updates - POLITICO You would probably be happier in a blue county. I also have a big dog and a gun because of drug crime.

Last edited by Currygirl; 05-31-2017 at 05:12 PM..

Old 05-31-2017, 05:22 PM

30 posts, read 24,185 times
I live near Coos Bay and I fly the flag. I'm not the only one. Oregon Election Results 2016: President Live Map by County, Real-Time Voting Updates - POLITICO You would probably be happier in a blue county if conservative is a problem. Being homosexual would probably not be a problem.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:35 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I just drive through Sweet Home fairly frequently, so don't know what it is like to live there.

The location is stunning, if you like outdoor activities. Boating on Green Peter lake, hiking fishing, close to skiing and snow sports.

The town has a low income feel. It hasn't ever recovered from the death of the timber industry. People look down to earth. No designer clothing. Shopping is OK for local needs, but probably involves a trip to a larger city every couple of months.

I have no idea how a LGBTQ family would fit in. Conservative areas tend to be live and let live in Oregon.

As for confederate flags, so what? Everyone I know that has a confederate flag it is about regional pride, not racism.

I think that the best you could do would be to go and stay for a vacation. Walk around, shop, go to a church if you go to a church, or go to a meeting of one of the hiking clubs if you aren't a church goer. Whenever I've stopped i Sweet home, to pick something up from the grocery store ir whatever, the people who live there seem like ordinary every day people. No problem with them.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:09 PM

31 posts, read 35,174 times
Greetings from a fellow member of the LGBTQ+ community. Believe me about Confederate flags, not all the people who fly them are doing it because of regional pride. Oregonians love to say how tolerant they are, but since the election, our state has had one of the highest rates of hate incidents. In general, west Linn County is quite conservative, and personally I would not want to live there.

Plus, what would you DO in Sweet Home? Are you older and married, ready to cocoon for the rest of your life? You will not be within striking distance of a gay community of any size, or cultural events/entertainment.

I live in Philomath, a town of 4400 people that's 10 minutes from Corvallis and OSU. To me, it's the best of both worlds. You could Google "Oregon cities by population" to get ideas for other small towns.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:25 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,603 times
Despite the charming name, Sweet Home is constantly voted one of the worst towns to live in the state.
I doubt you will find many openly gay people there if that's what you're looking for, and how you're treated could depend on how straight passing or you appear (as well as cis passing, if you're not Cis gender).
I would also suggest some place closer to Corvallis personally.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,158 times
Oregon wasn't part of the Confederacy, so I'm not clear how it equates with regional pride!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem