Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which part of Salem Metro Area do you think is the best to live?
Silverton 4 33.33%
Keizer 1 8.33%
West Salem 1 8.33%
South Salem 5 41.67%
Monmouth-Independence 2 16.67%
Dallas 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:17 PM

10 posts, read 19,626 times

Advertisements

I am from CA. Central Valley in a town called Hanford. Small but unique, very friendly, cost of living here is not outrageous. We moved here from the Central Coast Bay Area (Monterey, CA) 15 years ago and I can tell you, its very different here. People will move the cart at a shopping center out of the way so you can park your car. People wave at their neighbors, and keep an eye out on our neighborhoods here. I grew up in the Salinas Valley which is now the armpit of the central coast. I could never live there again. It was beautiful at one time in the '60s, but now with all the mexican gangs and their activities, its horrible, I even hate to visit.
Although Hanford is 50 miles south of Fresno, we still enjoy a low crime rate here. Most of the crime is in Fresno, or Visalia, both mexican and black gangs. Homes here are very low compared to the average cost of other towns. We have a 4 bedroom house with 3 full bathrooms, a very large backyard in a cul de sac, with a large loft and have a double sided fireplace for our living room and our office/familyroom. A beautiful 2 story home , with over 2500 sq feet and only paid $240,000. for it. You will not find this anywhere else in the valley.

However if you have to relocate to the central valley because of jobs here, (and there are jobs here) pick Hanford. Its still small and the people are very friendly and its a beautiful small town. Housing is very very affordable whether you buy or rent or lease, the homes are beautiful here, schools are good here, stay out of the south side of town, the northside is the best side of town and has the best schools eastside is good too and the north westside which is where we live have parks in every community. We have a community college here too.

There are still some small towns that have everything you want in a small town in CA. We are close to the Sequoias for that forest getaway with great running water, Mountains for snow skiing, lakes for relaxing and boating fishing and swimming, Yosemite for an awesome view and camping area and where you can do anything there, 2 hours away from the Pacific Ocean. In any direction from Hanford, you have all the activities you can think of, and this town is very family and child oriented. There are churches everywhere, and trees everywhere.

So please dont bad mouth all of CA if you havent been here. If you like dry heat, low cost of living, good people, low crime, good shopping and great schools, child oriented, and see the season changes in all the weather year around, Hanford is your town.

Last edited by Dragonfly4; 07-20-2010 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: misspelled words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 08:03 PM

21 posts, read 43,939 times
TJ. I would not live in Salem or go to Western. Salem is a boring dump. And when my friend went to Western it only took once for me not to ever come back.Spend the extra money and go to UofP and be in a real city where there is life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem