Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 12,411 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Salt Lake in September, and are trying to figure out a budget. Can you give me an estimate for how much utilities would cost in a 1-2 bedroom apartment?

We're also looking at health insurance plans in Utah. Anybody know of good providers who aren't ridiculously expensive? We're students. We're poor.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 04:46 AM

617 posts, read 2,822,544 times
Okay. When I had a 2 bedroom basement apartment... my gas was I think around 50 dollars a month in the winter, when I had the heating on. The electric in the winter was like 85-100 dollars. In the summer, the electric was a bit higher, because I ran my swamp cooler and fans.

As far as health insurance, I would see what your University has to offer for their students. To be honest with you... I know it is risky, especially if you have a major accident... but I never had health insurance when I lived in Utah. If I got sick, I went to like an insta-care clinic, which usually cost around 80 bucks. It was cheaper than paying twice that each month, to have health insurance coverage that I would barely use, and that wasn't all that great anyway.

If for some reason you guys are going to have a baby or something... then check out medicaid. If you are pregnant, and you have the income of a student, you should qualify throughout your pregnancy, and I think for up to a year afterwards.

Good luck.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:22 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
Okay. When I had a 2 bedroom basement apartment... my gas was I think around 50 dollars a month in the winter, when I had the heating on. The electric in the winter was like 85-100 dollars. In the summer, the electric was a bit higher, because I ran my swamp cooler and fans.

As far as health insurance, I would see what your University has to offer for their students. To be honest with you... I know it is risky, especially if you have a major accident... but I never had health insurance when I lived in Utah. If I got sick, I went to like an insta-care clinic, which usually cost around 80 bucks. It was cheaper than paying twice that each month, to have health insurance coverage that I would barely use, and that wasn't all that great anyway.

If for some reason you guys are going to have a baby or something... then check out medicaid. If you are pregnant, and you have the income of a student, you should qualify throughout your pregnancy, and I think for up to a year afterwards.

Good luck.
the U of U student health insurance is awful, as is most student health insurance. It was about $6000 per year for substandard coverage. Your best bet might be to get on with a company with generous health insurance policies. There is one company that I will tell you about via PM with a good policy. It is cheaper and better than the student insurance. I know this from experience. There might be other companies with similar policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area