Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 PM

58 posts, read 202,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Honestly? Only if you make it one. Be friendly and that's what you will find. Be standoffish and you will find it. Just be someone YOU would want to be friends with and everything will be fine.
I am LDS, just moved back after 3 years in NC. I never thought it was a big deal before, but you will notice some differences. It's not that the LDS folks don't want to be friends or anything, but what I noticed after living outside of Utah is that in NC the social circle was around the neighborhood, school, football team, band, or something else like that which you get involved with. In Utah, it seems that the biggest social circle is almost exclusively around church. If you don't go to church (LDS), you don't get to know folks around the neighborhood as much. A lot of people drive into the garage & close the door behind them & don't take time to get to know neighbors as much.

It's not intended to be discriminatory or anything, it's just that the church often demands a lot of time from it's people (it's all run by local volunteers without pay, even the Bishop/Pastor is a local resident & unpaid). It takes no effort to know people in church because you spend so much time there, but it takes more effort to make time to get to know others outside of where you spend a lot of your time - - but it does happen, and it is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:36 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsmudge View Post
I am LDS, just moved back after 3 years in NC. I never thought it was a big deal before, but you will notice some differences. It's not that the LDS folks don't want to be friends or anything, but what I noticed after living outside of Utah is that in NC the social circle was around the neighborhood, school, football team, band, or something else like that which you get involved with. In Utah, it seems that the biggest social circle is almost exclusively around church. If you don't go to church (LDS), you don't get to know folks around the neighborhood as much. A lot of people drive into the garage & close the door behind them & don't take time to get to know neighbors as much.

It's not intended to be discriminatory or anything, it's just that the church often demands a lot of time from it's people (it's all run by local volunteers without pay, even the Bishop/Pastor is a local resident & unpaid). It takes no effort to know people in church because you spend so much time there, but it takes more effort to make time to get to know others outside of where you spend a lot of your time - - but it does happen, and it is possible.
I totally agree with everything that you have said here. Although I have known a few LDS outside of Utah, the majority of them have been here. I do understand that the majority of the time church members spend time at church or other members (home teaching, ect). I think the issue is that many people take this to mean that they are being "shunned" or that LDS do not like them because they aren't overly social toward them. I have never felt this way. My family (myself, DH and 2 daughters) all have good friends that are LDS. If you are friendly and don't automatically ASS/U/ME anything about why a friendship has not come to fruitation, it will happen. Making friends takes time and an effort on BOTH sides.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Daybreak is largely LDS? I don't know if that is correct, in my square 5 out of the 8 homes are not LDS. I will question people at the Daybreak Wine Club party tonight.
Great to hear. This is an area we're looking at because we've heard it's a great community with a lot of activities and events for families; which is what we're looking forward to! We want to get involved, be included and make friends to make our new home a home.

We don't judge because of religion, or anything, so hope that we'll be accepted the same!

Old 07-18-2011, 09:51 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavi View Post
Great to hear. This is an area we're looking at because we've heard it's a great community with a lot of activities and events for families; which is what we're looking forward to! We want to get involved, be included and make friends to make our new home a home.

We don't judge because of religion, or anything, so hope that we'll be accepted the same!
If you're like hilgi and kaytidid and several others on City-Data, you should have no problem at all.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:11 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I totally agree with everything that you have said here. Although I have known a few LDS outside of Utah, the majority of them have been here. I do understand that the majority of the time church members spend time at church or other members (home teaching, ect). I think the issue is that many people take this to mean that they are being "shunned" or that LDS do not like them because they aren't overly social toward them. I have never felt this way. My family (myself, DH and 2 daughters) all have good friends that are LDS. If you are friendly and don't automatically ASS/U/ME anything about why a friendship has not come to fruitation, it will happen. Making friends takes time and an effort on BOTH sides.
I agree, we ARE friends w/ many of the LDS in our 'hood. lol True, my neighbor is, & our daughter's are bff's, so, we naturally talk & hang out, I've met most of the other ladies in our 'hood through her. But, if we see each other w/o my neighbor, we are friendly & will talk.

However, we are pretty active in our ward & the church, but don't attend services on Sunday or tithe, so that is how we are known by other members (not that we aren't members & don't tithe, but I mean known as people lol) . After we made it very clear (not in a mean way, just 'no, we are not interested' a 'few' times lol) we were not going to convert, no one askes, they just are friendly w/ us as people. Are we the 'norm'? I'm sure we aren't, but, religion IS a big part of our 'hood, &, I'm fine w/ that. I like getting involved & being a part of my 'hood, even if it involves places that are not of my same faith. I DO make an effort to be active at the local church, not because I HAVE to, but because I WANT to. I feel they do good things, & I enjoy being a part of it, along w/ the fact that I love learning & I'm an extremely outgoing social butterfly by nature.

Though, not being a jerk, I do have a ton of friends not in my ward, so, it's not like I 'have' to be involved for friends, I just like doing it. =)

I know I've touched on it before, but, that is us. Heck, I know way more people here in my Utah 'hood, than I did in any of our Ohio 'hoods, except where I grew up, I just mean, when I moved out & got married.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:18 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If you're like hilgi and kaytidid and several others on City-Data, you should have no problem at all.
How about me, gosh darnit? Am I part of the 'several others'?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
Oh, and absolutely BuckeyezRule.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
Maybe your dues aren't current, either way you can be in our elite club.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Non-Mormons pay dues, now, huh? Would that be 10%?

Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
Quote:

LOL...*sing song voice* neener neener, I am in the club..oh and the check is in the mail for this month's dues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area