Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,078 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband just received a job offer and we are moving to Salt Lake City! Neither of us have been there before, but since finding out that he may get this job, we've be doing lots of research.

Base on our reading it looks like the Sugar House area may be a good fit for us. We are looking for areas with a little diversity, shopping and dining. We are a couple in our late 30s/early 40s with no kids (other than our furkids). We have found a rental we are interested in in an area called Foothill (Elm street). It seems to be just east of Sugar House on the map. What is your opinion of this area? Other areas I see rentals available in that I am curious about are:

Millcreek
Murray
Holladay
Cottonwood (not Cottonwood Heights - seems to be a bit far from downtown)
Yalecrest

Your thoughts on these areas is appreciated. Our budget is $2k, but I'd like to come in under that if possible as I won't have a job right away.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 05:59 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcgowan73 View Post
Hi everyone. My husband just received a job offer and we are moving to Salt Lake City! Neither of us have been there before, but since finding out that he may get this job, we've be doing lots of research.

Base on our reading it looks like the Sugar House area may be a good fit for us. We are looking for areas with a little diversity, shopping and dining. We are a couple in our late 30s/early 40s with no kids (other than our furkids). We have found a rental we are interested in in an area called Foothill (Elm street). It seems to be just east of Sugar House on the map. What is your opinion of this area?
That's a good area. You should be fine there.

Quote:
Other areas I see rentals available in that I am curious about are:

Millcreek
Murray
Holladay
Cottonwood (not Cottonwood Heights - seems to be a bit far from downtown)
Yalecrest
Millcreek would probably be all that different from Sugarhouse -- maybe just a tiny bit newer homes, but still on the older side. It's a very nice area. Holladay is lovely. I would imagine rents would be a little higher there than in Sugarhouse or Millcreek. Murray's okay. Parts of it are nicer than others. I'd stay away from the west part of Murray. Yalecrest is beautiful but my own personal experience in living there was that it was very snooty. I'm not actually sure what you mean by Cottonwood. I know that I do hear people call Cottonwood Heights "Cottonwood" from time to time, but I don't think there actually is a part of the city called "Cottonwood." I live in Cottonwood Heights, actually, and the drive to downtown Salt Lake City is 25 minutes.

Quote:
Your thoughts on these areas is appreciated. Our budget is $2k, but I'd like to come in under that if possible as I won't have a job right away.
You should have no trouble at all with that kind of budget. Good luck, and welcome!

Old 11-09-2011, 06:11 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,951 times
I don't know where you are moving from but welcome to the Salt Lake City area! I really think it is such a fantastic area with lots to do, especially if you enjoy the outdoors.
Where is your husbands job located? The commute, while not terrible compared to say Dallas, LA etc., can be a pain in the winter.
I live in East Millcreek and love it but there is a difference between Millcreek and East Millcreek. It can get funky fast as you go West,,,say West of 1300 East....

Old 11-10-2011, 10:52 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Most houses I've been in in the Sugarhouse area are small--meaning the rooms are small. Are you moving your furniture with you? Are your furbabies outside or inside dwellers? Where are you moving from? Is there any other advice you seek besides housing?

I hope you and your family enjoy it here.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 7,599 times
Hi! I'm 33 and moved here for work from IL about 6 months ago. I like it here, but it's hard because it's just me. When are you moving here? If you want to have an "instant" friend, let me know...lol I live in Midvale....it's kinda in the middle of everything...it only takes about 15 minutes for me to get just about anywhere in the salt lake city area....that's one thing i love about SLC. All the areas you listed (as far as i've learned so far) are nice areas. Midvale (where i live) is i think comparable to Murray and the other areas you listed are a little more upscale. Oh...and there are malls just about everywhere here! Good Luck to you in your move

Old 11-12-2011, 02:48 PM

258 posts, read 648,085 times
My DH is renting out there in Sugarhouse - near 15th and 15th. He really likes the area. I've been out to visit and I also thought it was very nice - older area with character and some places you can walk to for coffee, etc. I didn't care for Millcreek so much - at least around 33rd - just didn't seem like as nice an area.

It's so easy to get around SLC - everything is so close and traffic is practically nothing compared to what I'm used to in Mpls/St. Paul, MN. DH would like you guys - no kids either - just cats. The cats are living with me in MN which makes renting easier.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:08 AM

242 posts, read 854,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
I don't know where you are moving from but welcome to the Salt Lake City area! I really think it is such a fantastic area with lots to do, especially if you enjoy the outdoors.
Where is your husbands job located? The commute, while not terrible compared to say Dallas, LA etc., can be a pain in the winter.
I live in East Millcreek and love it but there is a difference between Millcreek and East Millcreek. It can get funky fast as you go West,,,say West of 1300 East....

What would you define as the areas for Millcreek and East Millcreek? I've always wondered what the "borders" were for different areas. Is there a map available? Just general curiosity.

I've lived in the heart of Sugarhouse for over 4 years, if you have any specific questions just shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to help.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,078 times
Thanks everyone for all of your insight and recommendations. We found a house in the Sugar House/Foothill area. Everything is happening so fast! My husband will be there on December 5th and I will follow at the end of the month. We were so fortunate to find wonderful people willing to rent to us and our mini zoo.

We are moving from San Diego so now our biggest adjustment will be getting used to the snow and meeting new people.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Old 11-26-2011, 10:04 PM

973 posts, read 2,142,324 times
We live on the way out west side of the SLC valley, but wanted to wish a warm welcome to you, hubby, & your animals! =) We have 2 cats & 2 dogs, all rescues. =) And 2 kiddos. lol We moved here from Ohio almost 5 years ago, & LOVE it here! I have no desire to move back. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area